1. Standard memberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Feb '15 22:19
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    On the contrary its lack of evidence. The only person so far to have attempted to define what the term soul means is Grandpa Bobby and he reiterates the idea that the soul is some is some kind of ephemeral element derived from God which infuses itself with the biological systems of a new born child.

In a Biblical sense this creates all kinds of p ...[text shortened]... tablished and therefore the Biblical definition of a soul is a living breathing animated entity.
    Wow, I had somehow thought that you had reached the limit of just how foolish one person could be.

Obviously, what you do not "get" is that most "theists" understand what a soul is, while it is always the atheists who don't have a freaking clue.

Just as obviously, my comment was aimed at those who somehow do not understand exactly what a soul is. Usually it's because they simply don't want it to be true. So yeah, that's "willful ignorance".

You're on the wrong side of the fence for what you are arguing. But that's a JW for you, so convinced in his own head that other Christians somehow aren't exactly Christian enough. I/We (other Christians) aren't the ones you need to be attempting to educate here, spanky.
  2. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '15 22:22
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    To paraphrase for GB so that there can be no reasonable misunderstanding.

An explanation MUST, by definition, be in terms of things we already understand.

Otherwise all you did was move the mystery that needs explaining to something else
    without any increase in the level of understanding.

Which as Agerg brilliantly demonstrates, just lands you ...[text shortened]... rom the only reason that your posts frequently land up being gibberish,
    but it IS one of them.
    My head hurts after that lot, getting back to the original thread, does a Human microbe have lubbadink ??????????
  3. Standard memberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Feb '15 22:26
    Originally posted by Agerg

ffs just tell me in plain english what a soul is, what is it made out of, how does it work, where precisely do we find it, how would we function if we didn't have one!???
    Sigh.

My good man, have you never heard of a dictionary?

You could also get great answers to these questions with a standard Bible and a concordance, but as long as you eschew these things because of your unbelief, you are participating in "willful ignorance".
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    24 Feb '15 22:261 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Wow, I had somehow thought that you had reached the limit of just how foolish one person could be.

Obviously, what you do not "get" is that most "theists" understand what a soul is, while it is always the atheists who don't have a freaking clue.

Just as obviously, my comment was aimed at those who somehow do not understand exactly what a soul is. Usu ...[text shortened]... ugh. I/We (other Christians) aren't the ones you need to be attempting to educate here, spanky.
    Ah but do they really understand what a soul is!? I'll go so far as to acknowledge they know it's a noun. Yep no doubt about that, you theists have the "the soul is a thing" thing nailed down good and proper - congratulations for that btw!
    What you fail to do however is describe what is the actual thing! and no, saying it's me doesn't really cut it because from a physical perspective I'm almost certainly defined in near enough entirety by what I have eaten and breathed in the last several years - and I don't recall eating any soul recently (or sole for that matter).
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    24 Feb '15 22:411 edit
    Sigh.

My good man, have you never heard of a dictionary?

You could also get great answers to these questions with a standard Bible and a concordance, but as long as you eschew these things because of your unbelief, you are participating in "willful ignorance".
    The first dictionary hit I came across gave me:

the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.

So my questions are,
    - How is the immaterial created, and "what is it made of" (obviously not nothing!)!?
    - How does it interact with the material!?
    - In terms of how I operate in the physical world, such as thinking and feeling (caused by low-level chemical activity in the brain) what purpose is served by having this immaterial stuff?
    - Where did it come from?
    - At what point between
    A) someone eating fish and chips, a pie, a couple of cans of coke, ..., 200g of milk chocolate and later producing sperm (and their counterpart producing an egg)
    B) someone becoming instantiated as a foetus
    did that someone find themselves imbued with this non-physical stuff?

I have more questions for you when you have cleared this up for me.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '15 22:58

Just as obviously, my comment was aimed at those who somehow do not understand exactly what a soul is. Usu ...[text shortened]... ugh. I/We (other Christians) aren't the ones you need to be attempting to educate here, spanky.
    this is nothing but bluster you have still failed to provide a coherent and substantiated definition of a 'soul', infact you have failed to provide any content worthy of consideration.
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 01:24
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    KN, the soul is the immaterial part of man; soul life is created by God and imparted in union with biological life the moment the viable fetus emerges from the womb which results in human life. The Hebrew word neshamah: "breath of lives".
    Not true................

The soul must be there in the womb at the very beginning if the baby is to be called living.

The baby is living at the moment of conception.

Vedic knowledge is true knowledge.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 01:36
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Not true................

The soul must be there in the womb at the very beginning if the baby is to be called living.

The baby is living at the moment of conception.

Vedic knowledge is true knowledge.
    I wondered about that. But I think there is a problem. If that is the case then since the gametes are alive and by your argument must have souls we have the difficulty that there are several million sperm souls and one egg cell soul. Which of these becomes the soul of the resultant zygote?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 04:161 edit
    Originally posted by OdBod
    There are many more microbes living in and on the Human body than there are Human cells. We cannot survive without these microbes, not only are they essential for physical processes they have an influence on the mind, they are an integral part of the Human organism (similar to the Lichen condition). It raises some interesting religious questions. For example ...[text shortened]... My information source is Focus magazine issue 278
    As I understand it, microbes are tiny organisms that often exist in water and can act as parasites on plants and animals. So they seem to only effect the plant and animal bodies, which are material. The soul and spirit of man is believed by theologians to be immaterial.

I am not sure anyone could give a definition for the immaterial that everyone could easily understand. The apostle Paul made several attempts to do it. Jesus attempted to use parables including earthly things to explain the spiritual Kingdom of God with, I believe, little success, because most of them did not even understand the earthly things.

Here are three verses from the Holy Bible concerning body, soul, and/or spirit of man:

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    (1 Thessalonians 5:23 NASB)

Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
    (Matthew 10:28 NASB)

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
    (Hebrews 4:12 NASB)

So What Is The Difference Between Body, Soul & Spirit?

I tend to agree with what this person says here:

The spirit is always referred to as the immaterial part of man. Man is not a spirit, he has a spirit. I believe the soul (psyche) is just what the greek word implies... the makeup of man. You are different from every other person. The thing that makes Raymond Raymond is the soul. The soul is how you relate to others and how you understand yourself. The spirit is how you relate to God. When you are reborn, you are born of spirit (John 3:5-6). The spirit is part of the soul, much like the mind is part of the soul. It is the soul, though, that comprises who you are.

Animals don't have a spirit per se- they don't seek God. Plants have a body, animals have a body and soul (they are capable of relating to man and other animals), but only man has a spirit. Both the soul and spirit pass when man dies, thus you will be recognizable as Raymond in the coming resurrection (ref Matt 17:3) and you will as a believer forever be able to fellowship with God. You will be given a new body (1 Cor 15:51-55), but you will be you.

http://www.comereason.org/difference-between-soul-and-spirit.asp
  10. Germany
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 15:30
    KN, the soul is the immaterial part of man; soul life is created by God and imparted in union with biological life the moment the viable fetus emerges from the womb which results in human life. The Hebrew word neshamah: "breath of lives".
    Alright, let us define a new concept: zingle dingle doo. Zingle dingle doo is the immaterial part of a brick. How useful do you find the concept of zingle dingle doo?
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 15:472 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I wondered about that. But I think there is a problem. If that is the case then since the gametes are alive and by your argument must have souls we have the difficulty that there are several million sperm souls and one egg cell soul. Which of these becomes the soul of the resultant zygote?
    Insightful, DT: biological life results from the copulation between a man and a woman. In Genesis 1:1 and 1:27 "bara" [one of the four words in the Hebrew for create which here means to create from nothing] is used for God's creation of both the universe and the human soul which is imparted to the viable fetus at the moment of its first breath [physical birth] resulting in human life. Soul life is characterized by self consciousness, mentality, volition and conscience: "And God created [bara] man in His own image" (Genesis 1:27). The infant is born physically alive and spiritually dead because Adam's sin nature is transmitted by the male sperm to the female egg. Subsequently the child will commit its first of many sins; resulting in the second barrier between man and God. Christ paid the penalty of sin for all mankind by His substitutionary spiritual death [separation from God the Father] on the cross. At the moment of faith alone in Christ alone, those who have accepted God's grace gift of salvation and eternal life, God the Holy Spirit imputes a human spirit [which enables the believer to understand absolute truth as revealed in and accurately taught from the Word of God]. This is the second birth or spiritual life.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 15:53
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Alright, let us define a new concept: zingle dingle doo. Zingle dingle doo is the immaterial part of a brick. How useful do you find the concept of zingle dingle doo?
    Reply noted.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 16:05
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    On the contrary its lack of evidence. The only person so far to have attempted to define what the term soul means is Grandpa Bobby and he reiterates the idea that the soul is some is some kind of ephemeral element derived from God which infuses itself with the biological systems of a new born child.

In a Biblical sense this creates all kinds of prob ...[text shortened]... y established and therefore the Biblical definition of a soul is a living breathing animated entity.
    robbie, you and I and the rest of the human race were born as the result of sexual union; Adam and Eve were created.
  14. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 16:09
    robbie, you and I and the rest of the human race were born as the result of sexual union; Adam and Eve were created.
    When a Human clone is produced, what will you say ?
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Feb '15 16:26
    And if you're depending on this forum to give meaning and definition to your ideation,
    No. I haven't seen any meaningful definitions anywhere, this forum included.

Hmmmm, definitions. Umm, I dunno, how about a dictionary? Or maybe that great big thing out there called the "internet"? One can only lead the horses to water, but one can't [b]make them drink.[/b]
    Yet oddly enough you can't seem to bring the horse any water. Are you perhaps short of water? Standing there in the desert going: "I'm sure there's water out there somewhere, its all your fault for not looking for it."

Sorry, I am not buying. If you had a meaningful definition you would have presented it. You don't. You didn't.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree