God Bless America?

God Bless America?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
19 Feb 13

Originally posted by galveston75
A very well known statement. Some actually believe this even to the point of one poster saying "God gave us the atomic bomb".
So has God blessed America?
And hates Japanese. Juat look at them today. After the tsunami they glow in the dark.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
19 Feb 13
4 edits

Originally posted by galveston75
So if God did or does bless America, why would he choose this country over another? What would be the qualifications he would look for?
Take your line of questioning and apply it to the Hebrew nation. No one knows "why." God never explained why He chose one nation over another or even why He gives mercy to one individual and withholds it from another. The issue is recognized in the bible, but not explained.

The only answer anyone has been able to muster is that God does what He does for His own good pleasure. That answer is appropriate and logical. And it applies all the way back to creation.

Was America blessed? To the believer, the answer is quite obvious. And it was quite obvious to our founding Fathers as well. They called it "Providence." Read back to the incredible feats achieved early in the life of this nation, not the least of which are the great battles won against almost unfathomable odds and in hellish conditions.

The founding Fathers were there to see it happen play-by-play... and they were utterly convinced that God's blessing was upon us during those days.

Are we still blessed as a nation? I don't think so. That doesn't mean we can't be blessed again but right now I think we believers can safely conclude that this nation is on the decline and clearly not blessed. However, individuals all over the world are blessed and that doesn't exclude individual Americans.

Surely you understand--that is if you believe the bible--that God can and does rise up nations and bring them down as well.

The bible says God raised up Egypt--and then crushed their leaders and armies--just to put His own divine power on display. God raised up Israel--and brought calamity upon that nation--many times over. He raised up other nations--even ungodly ones--against Israel for His own divine reasons.

And on and on. The bible gives us no reason to believe that the raising of nations does not continue to this day. Also, remember in Romans--Paul said that the government institutions that are in power are put in power by God Himself.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
19 Feb 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
That just doesn't necessarily follow.

Are you saying that when the AntiChrist rises to power and creates his one world government and forces everyone to worship him as God that that government will be "God's chosen people", or "blessed by God"?

Does "might make right"?
What ?? your origin statement ( I now have to go look LOL) said something about Britain not being a world power or something to that extent. They were a huge world power for a long time hence the saying " The Sun never sets on the British Empire" As far as when people say "God Bless America" That's not saying God has blessed America it's a statement saying or asking God to bless America. I will go one step further and defend America (this is not to say everything America has done is blessed or right) This nation has done a lot to help the world sure some of it politically or financially motivated but people specially certain types want to bash America and yet for the most part people have enjoyed political and religious freedoms more here than in any other nation in history. Try some of the crap in other countries that people do here and you will see what they get !!! Burn your countries flag? Watch what happens or be of the wrong religion say like in Iran for example? You end up in jail and possibly facing death!! Not here at least not in the past. (Maybe in the future) This country has had unimaginable wealth and freedom and religious freedoms. Opportunity for one to better ones self and for one to say America has not been blessed is blind. I think however this country is losing any blessings we might have had as a nation.

Manny

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Feb 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Do you know what year you got independance?

And what year Washington became President?

Want to rethink who was the first President?
1. I think America declared their independence in 1776, but I am not sure that we actually got independence that year or not.

2. I'll have to ask that little kid that knows all about the Presidents.

3. No.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Feb 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
1. I think America declared their independence in 1776, but I am not sure that we actually got independence that year or not.

2. I'll have to ask that little kid that knows all about the Presidents.

3. No.
1. 1776 Correct

2. Idiot. GW became President in 1789.

3. Idiot. Who was in charge of the independent states until 1789?

F

Moves
19 Feb 13

Originally posted by sumydid
Take your line of questioning and apply it to the Hebrew nation. No one knows "why." God never explained why He chose one nation over another...
The only "evidence" that God "chose" the Hebrew nation over other nations is in literature written about the Hebrews by the Hebrews.

O

Moves
19 Feb 13

Those men had nothing to do with kicking the British red coats arses. That honor is given to our ragtag army and George Washington, our first President. 😏
My mistake, all those people came AFTER independence ,when the country was free to do and think what it wanted. I wonder if what they said and freedom are in some way related?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Feb 13
1 edit

Want to rethink who was the first President?
of the United States? George Washington, inaugurated in 1789.

Or of the Continental Congress? Peyton Randolph of Virginia, elected in 1774.

Not that they have anything at all in common.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Feb 13

3. Idiot. Who was in charge of the independent states until 1789?
I'm guessing that if they were indeed independent states then perhaps the state governors. Independent, by definition, indicates that no one is "in charge" of all of them.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Feb 13

2. Idiot. GW became President in 1789.
I thought GW didn't become President until 2001, when the Supreme Court put him in office even though he lost the popular vote. 🙂

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Feb 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
I'm guessing that if they were indeed independent states then perhaps the state governors. Independent, by definition, indicates that no one is "in charge" of all of them.
I am not counting the Continental Congress as that was prior to independance.

John Hanson was your first President (1781) of an Independent USA

Washington was the first under the Constitution.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Feb 13

Does this amount to a hill of beans?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Feb 13

...and George Washington, our first President.
If you know nothing of your own country's history it is fairly safe to assume you have the same level of knowledge for most things.

Planet Rain

Moves
19 Feb 13

The Continental Congress existed until 1789.

Reading up on John Hanson some, it seems the truth of the matter is a little muddy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hanson

The U.S. didn't have an executive branch of government under the Articles of Confederation. Hanson was the president of the Continental Congress, but it seems professional historians don't count that as being president of the nation.

There's a lot of weird stuff out there about this issue, seemingly.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Feb 13

Does this amount to a hill of beans?
I thought it did to you as you raised the point.

I think it natural for one to have some interest in one's history.