God Bless America?

God Bless America?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Soothfast
The Continental Congress existed until 1789.

Reading up on John Hanson some, it seems the truth of the matter is a little muddy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hanson

The U.S. didn't have an executive branch of government under the Articles of Confederation. Hanson was the president of the Continental Congress, but it seems professional histor esident of the nation.

There's a lot of weird stuff out there about this issue, seemingly.
I thought Congress was renamed after independance? Maybe not.

Someone must have been in charge! Wasnt it John Hanson who had
to pass the hat round to pay soldiers' wages after the war?

I'll do a little more research later ............... 🙂

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Feb 13

God Loves America

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Feb 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
I thought it did to you as you raised the point.

I think it natural for one to have some interest in one's history.
You asked the questions. Those questions were not my point. My point relates to the OP that God had blessed America in the past based on the promises to Abraham passed down through Jacob and his two sons that may be represented prophetically by the British Commonwealth of Nations and the United States of America. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
19 Feb 13

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
God Loves America
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueKBM_MgJDo
Awesome!!

Whats the go with that band (the Swans)? I've never heard of them, is all their stuff that good?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Feb 13

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Awesome!!

Whats the go with that band (the Swans)? I've never heard of them, is all their stuff that good?
You have weird tastes in music or is it something else you think is so awesome?

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
20 Feb 13

Originally posted by FMF
The only "evidence" that God "chose" the Hebrew nation over other nations is in literature written about the Hebrews by the Hebrews.
Well of course. If we are going to have a discussion about God, then it stands to reason that the biblical description of God must apply. It's a cherry-picking thing some skeptics do--not necessarily you. People often hold God accountable for His actions they don't approve of, yet within the parameters of the very same debate--as they assault God's character--they conveniently reject as mythical literature, other parts of the bible they don't want to accept.

If one is going to have an intellectually honest debate about God's character or actions, then one must first concede--just for the sake of argument if nothing else--all things written about God in the bible.

You? Obviously you don't believe in the God of the bible. That's fine and dandy--as long as you reject the entire bible and don't cherry-pick certain verses for the sake of stacking the deck in debate.

F

Moves
20 Feb 13

Originally posted by sumydid
Well of course. If we are going to have a discussion about God, then it stands to reason that the biblical description of God must apply. It's a cherry-picking thing some skeptics do--not necessarily you. People often hold God accountable for His actions they don't approve of, yet within the parameters of the very same debate--as they assault God's charac ...[text shortened]... bible and don't cherry-pick certain verses for the sake of stacking the deck in debate.
It's not "cherry picking" at all. I am just pointing out that it was the Hebrews who made the assertions about God and about themselves. Did any other nations write literature that confirmed that the Hebrews were "God's chosen people"? No.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Feb 13

Originally posted by FMF
It's not "cherry picking" at all. I am just pointing out that it was the Hebrews who made the assertions about God and about themselves. Did any other nations write literature that confirmed that the Hebrews were "God's chosen people"? No.
I have heard it said that some Jews have asked God to please choose some other people. 😏

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF

Relevant (please see commentaries/notes):

http://www.godvine.com/bible/John/1-11

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
20 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Awesome!!

They just played in Australia.

Find a review on the Quietus, it's hard to describe how great they are without writing an essay.

Oh, most of their stuff is a lot better.

Get hold of The Great Annihilator and The Seer and report back.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Feb 13

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
They just played in Australia.

Find a review on the Quietus, it's hard to describe how great they are without writing an essay.

Oh, most of their stuff is a lot better.

Get hold of The Great Annihilator and The Seer and report back.
I hope so. 😏

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
22 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Didn't say you were cherry picking. I took your words perhaps a little out of context. I thought you to be arguing that there is no proof other than written words.. nothing empirical.

Now I (think I) see that your bigger point was, the Hebrew people quite possibly chose themselves as the chosen.

I get it. However on the flip side--if the Hebrews are/were in fact the chosen people of the biblical God, it would follow that other nations would not lift them up as chosen or proclaim themselves as the chosen ones.

So it boils down to speculation. Although if the authors of Scripture were lying about this--and therefore were hoaxes and liars--there would almost certainly be countless other lies. Provable ones.

F

Moves
22 Feb 13

Originally posted by sumydid
Now I (think I) see that your bigger point was, the Hebrew people quite possibly chose themselves as the chosen.
yes, Hebrew people chose themselves to be "the chosen". Just as many Americans designate their own country, as opposed to others, as being uniquely "blessed" by God. Whether it be the Hebrews or the Americans, your "evidence" amounts to nothing more than a tradition of making assertions about yourselves and assertions about what God supposedly thinks about your nation.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
22 Feb 13

Originally posted by FMF
yes, Hebrew people chose themselves to be "the chosen". Just as many Americans designate their own country, as opposed to others, as being uniquely "blessed" by God. Whether it be the Hebrews or the Americans, your "evidence" amounts to nothing more than a tradition of making assertions about yourselves and assertions about what God supposedly thinks about your nation.
I think there is a little more than that. There is prophecy to lean on too.

T

Moves
22 Feb 13

Originally posted by FMF
Next you'll be claiming that championship sports teams aren't chosen by God either.