1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 20:09
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    The fact is that your "point" has nothing to do with my post.

Evidently you were unable to understand the following from my post:
    [quote]The reality is that In Leviticus 25:44-46 God is depicted as clearly and unambiguously condoning chattel slavery.

The reality is that chattel slavery flies in the face of what Jesus taught is the foundation of t ...[text shortened]... t, then I suggest you ask someone with decent reading comprehension skills to explain it to you.
    What exactly are you trying to argue with this? That God exists or that He doesn't exist? Or something else?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 20:251 edit
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    What exactly are you trying to argue with this? That God exists or that He doesn't exist? Or something else?
    The main points in my post to SS were as follows:
    1) The reality is that In Leviticus 25:44-46 God is depicted as clearly and unambiguously condoning chattel slavery.
    2)The reality is that the depiction of God condoning chattel slavery in Leviticus 25:44-46 flies in the face of righteous God spoken of by Jesus during His ministry.

Since you still seem to be struggling to comprehend my post, I once again suggest you ask someone with decent reading comprehension skills to explain it to you. They should be able to walk you through it line-by-line so that you can understand it. It's really pretty straightforward.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 03:281 edit
    1) The reality is that In Leviticus 25:44-46 God is depicted as clearly and unambiguously condoning chattel slavery.
    2)The reality is that the depiction of God condoning chattel slavery in Leviticus 25:44-46 flies in the face of righteous God spoken of by Jesus during His ministry.

Since you still ...[text shortened]... k you through it line-by-line so that you can understand it. It's really pretty straightforward.
    1. Do you think your subjective opinions are objectively true?

2. Are you arguing from a position of moral relativism or moral absolutism?
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 04:431 edit

ToO is not contrasting biblical positions to his own. He is contrasting biblical positions (OT) to biblical positions (NT). There is nothing atheistically disqualifying, in fact, the contrast is recognized by some Christians. Do you not see any differences between the OT and NT Gods, wrt chattel slavery?
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 08:05
    Originally posted by @js357
    ToO is not contrasting biblical positions to his own. He is contrasting biblical positions (OT) to biblical positions (NT). There is nothing atheistically disqualifying, in fact, the contrast is recognized by some Christians. Do you not see any differences between the OT and NT Gods, wrt chattel slavery?
    Obviously it doesn't make sense to those who don't take into account the old and the new covenant. Do you recognise the existence of the old and the new covenant and recognise that they are different?
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 10:28

Since you still ...[text shortened]... k you through it line-by-line so that you can understand it. It's really pretty straightforward.
    1) "The reality is that In Leviticus 25:44-46 God is depicted as clearly and unambiguously condoning chattel slavery."

So you keep saying. In the following statement is found the evidence of your twisted logic.

2)"The reality is that the depiction of God condoning chattel slavery in Leviticus 25:44-46 flies in the face of righteous God spoken of by Jesus during His ministry."

God is righteous in all He says and does throughout scripture. Now you're suggesting that Jesus is saying that the God of Leviticus is unrighteous.

You gummed up Leviticus, and now you're going to gum up Jesus too.
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 10:46
    ThinkOfOne's exegesis is flawed because he fails to concider the whole context.

ThinkOfOne lifts three verses out of their context and injects an external interpretation onto the verses. Namely, that God condones slavery, which cannot be logically inferred because that would make God unjust.

Which is where ThinkOfOne is going. In the post above ThinkOfOne is now saying, based on flawed logic, that the God of Leviticus is unrighteous because it, the verses in Leviticus, "flies in the face" of the God Jesus reveals.

Are there two Gods in the Bible? Is the God of the O.T. not the God of the new? Is God a changing God?

ThinkOfOne's exegesis is heretical and his logic twisted.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 12:16
    Obviously it doesn't make sense to those who don't take into account the old and the new covenant. Do you recognise the existence of the old and the new covenant and recognise that they are different?
    Yes I do although probably not to the extent you do.

Again, modified: Do you not see any differences between the OT and NT teachings, wrt chattel slavery?
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 12:32
    Do you not see any differences between the OT and NT teachings, wrt chattel slavery?
    Obviously.

A text without a context is a pretext.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 15:11

Evidently you are still unable to understand the following from my post:
    The reality is that In Leviticus 25:44-46 God is depicted as clearly and unambiguously condoning chattel slavery.

The reality is that chattel slavery flies in the face of what Jesus taught is the foundation of the will of God (Matthew 7:12, Matthew 22:37-40) :
    1) Chattel slavery flies in the face of "treat people the same way you want them to treat you".
    2) Chattel slavery flies in the face of "‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF".

The reality is that chattel slavery flies in the face of the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.

The reality is that chattel slavery flies in the face of the righteousness preached by Jesus during His ministry.

The reality is that chattel slavery flies in the face of the righteous God spoken of by Jesus during His ministry.

The reality is that the depiction of God condoning chattel slavery in Leviticus 25:44-46 flies in the face of righteous God spoken of by Jesus during His ministry.

Since you still can't understand it, then I suggest you ask someone with decent reading comprehension skills to explain it to you. Have you done this?
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 15:21
    Yes they are different. That's my point:

IIRC you've long been of the position that you believe in an absolute morality given by God as depicted in the Bible. Was that not you? If it was, how does your recognition that they are different square with that position?
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 15:28
    Originally posted by @secondson
    ThinkOfOne's exegesis is flawed because he fails to concider the whole context.

ThinkOfOne lifts three verses out of their context and injects an external interpretation onto the verses. Namely, that God condones slavery, which cannot be logically inferred because that would make God unjust.

Which is where ThinkOfOne is going. In the post above Thin ...[text shortened]... of the new? Is God a changing God?

ThinkOfOne's exegesis is heretical and his logic twisted.
    Namely, that God condones slavery, which cannot be logically inferred because that would make God unjust.

And yet the fact remains that in Leviticus 25;44-46 God is depicted as condoning slavery. The problem seems to be that you are of the mistaken belief that everything in the Bible is the "inerrant word of God". As I've shown, it isn't. You refuse to recognize this truth.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 17:15
    Yes I do although probably not to the extent you do.

Again, modified: Do you not see any differences between the OT and NT teachings, wrt chattel slavery?
    Obviously punnishments for sin were different in the old and the new covenant. In the new covenant Jesus said he who has no sin should throw the first stone.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 18:44
    Evidently you are still unable to understand the following from my post:
    [quote]The reality is that In Leviticus 25:44-46 God is depicted as clearly and unambiguously condoning chattel slavery.

The reality is that chattel slavery flies in the face of what Jesus taught is the foundation of the will of God (Matthew 7:12, Matthew 22:37-40) :
    1) Chatt ...[text shortened]... u ask someone with decent reading comprehension skills to explain it to you. Have you done this?
    Evidently you still can't comprehend the difference between the old and the new covenant.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 19:02
    Evidently you still can't comprehend the difference between the old and the new covenant.
    Yes they are different. That's my point:

IIRC you've long been of the position that you believe in an absolute morality given by God as depicted in the Bible. Was that not you? If it was, how does your recognition that they are different square with that position?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree