1. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 16:25
    I had a vision I know it to be true ,God told me that creation occurred one hour ago. Everything we think we know is nothing more than implanted memories,and because God can do anything, the physical universe was set up exactly as we perceive it now. Prove me wrong!
  2. Playing with matches
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 16:33
    Originally posted by OdBod
    I had a vision I know it to be true ,God told me that creation occurred one hour ago. Everything we think we know is nothing more than implanted memories,and because God can do anything, the physical universe was set up exactly as we perceive it now. Prove me wrong!
    Well I've got a run of the squirts after making some poor decisions regarding leftover Chinese food. Something over an hour ago I was trying desperately to find religion with no success. While I recognize that this doesn't hold as proof, I am reasonably confident that only the most sadistic of God's would have thrust me into existence in mid blast.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 16:44
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=justnowism

The religious belief that the universe was created just now. All signs that it is old are tricks planted by the creator to mislead us. Those who were created in the act of having sex are the chosen ones. Those who were created just before they died, are not.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 20:293 edits
    The Observed Universe has the appearance of being 13.77 Ga old.

If we consider the smallest unit of time to be the second that corresponds to approximately 4.3454815E+17 seconds.

If we consider the proposition that the universe could have been created any second in the last 13.77 billion years
    looking like it was created at a point in time 13.77 billion years before the present then there are of the order of 4.35E+17
    possible creation points.

With no evidence for choosing any of these creation points the probability of any one of them being the real creation point
    is {1 / 4.35E+17} * [Probability the universe was created looking old]

In the limit where [Probability the universe was created looking old]=1

The probability mass for any given creation point is appx 2.3e-18 (or about 1 in 435 thousand trillion)*

This is the maximum probability we can assign to the hypothesis that the universe was created 1 hr before the OP in this thread.

However in reality the probability we would reasonable assign would be many orders of magnitude lower than that.
    As Occam's razor (formalised by Solomonoff Induction and Bayesian theory) tells us that the hypothesis that the universe was
    created at some arbitrary moment by a deity with an appearance identical to a universe created naturally some arbitrary time
    earlier is incredibly improbable in of itself.

While I do not feel the need to do a full analysis of this here...
    I would feel comfortable assigning odds of at least 1e-6 for [Probability the universe was created looking old]

This gives us a conservative estimate for the probability of the hypothesis in the op at 2.3e-24 (or about 1 in 435 billion trillion)*

This means that the evidence required to establish the premise in the OP must be sufficient to overcome a prior probability of
    435,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1 against.

Lacking such evidence the premise in the op is sufficiently improbable to be considered refuted.

*Short scale

EDIT: Oh, and anyone who wants to quibble about using seconds as the smallest measurement of time...
    I am more than happy to readjust for plank time units... making it [the premise in the OP] ~5.4e+44 times less likely...
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 20:43
    Originally posted by googlefudge

If we consider the smallest unit of time to be the second that corresponds to approximately 4.3454815E+17 seconds.

If we consider the proposition that the universe could have been created any second in the last 13.77 billion years
    looking like it was created at a point in time 13.77 ...[text shortened]... eadjust for plank time units... making it [the premise in the OP] ~5.4e+44 times less likely...
    What he said.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 20:50
    435,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1 against.

Lacking such evidence the premise in the op is sufficiently improbable to be considered refuted....
    Thats all very well, but he had a vision
    😉
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 20:52
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Thats all very well, but [b]he had a vision
    😉[/b]
    This made me lol :-)
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 20:582 edits

looking like it was created at a point in time 13.77 eadjust for plank time units... making it [the premise in the OP] ~5.4e+44 times less likely...
    Oh... and I should note...

This argument applies equally to the claim that the universe was created 6~10 ka ago...

As some on this forum are wont to claim.

EDIT: [ which using plank units and using the probability mass of the entire 4ka error bars gives a probability of the order
    of 1e-58 ( or appx 1 in 10 trillion quadrillion quadrillion quadrillion ) .... And people wonder why I don't believe in creationism]
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 21:37
    Is that why I get a mysterious squirt of endorphines every hour?
  10. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 22:18
    Oh... and I should note...

This argument applies equally to the claim that the universe was created 6~10 ka ago...

As some on this forum are wont to claim.

EDIT: [ which using plank units and using the probability mass of the entire 4ka error bars gives a probability of the order
    of 1e-58 ( or appx 1 in 10 trillion quadrillion quadrillion quadrillion ) .... And people wonder why I don't believe in creationism]
    But googlefuduge, god has put all that information into your head made the universe to fit your perception, you are in fact the instrument of god in testing the faithful!
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 23:04

looking like it was created at a point in time 13.77 ...[text shortened]... eadjust for plank time units... making it [the premise in the OP] ~5.4e+44 times less likely...
    The universe that I have personally observed does not seem very old to me. I can not even imagine what a universe would look like that was billions of years old. Sounds crazy to me.
  12. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 00:23
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The universe that I have personally observed does not seem very old to me. I can not even imagine what a universe would look like that was billions of years old. Sounds crazy to me.
    You actually haven't observed anything, this is a false memory placed in your mind by god, I know this to be true because of my vision!
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 00:261 edit
    This can't be proven wrong. Care to state your point?
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 00:37
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    This can't be proven wrong. Care to state your point?
    Ummm... Yes it can.... I just did.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 00:40
    Ummm... Yes it can.... I just did.
    Ummm...let's just say that you like to think you did.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree