God helps those who help themselves

God helps those who help themselves

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Buzzardus Maximus

Moves
01 Aug 07
1 edit

Originally posted by jaywill
[b]++++++++++++++++
Put bluntly, you're a terrible witness for Christ:
++++++++++++++

I'm still waiting for you to show me your example of your own post that
I can use as a worthy model of a witness for Christ.

I'd thought you'd come up with the example from your collection by now?[/b]
Yeah, I went rummaging through the history of my posts as a borderline agnostic here, and what the heck? (smacks head) I don't have a single post where I'm trying to present a positive witness for Christ. Who'd have guessed that?

Clearly, not you.

It would be silly, and probably sinful in its deception, for me to try to be an ambassador for Christ. You, on the other hand, are a practicing Christian, and as such you are bound firmly to the tenets of Biblical doctrine and pledged to their application in daily Christian living. A few of those applications include:

-turning the other cheek when struck (Matthew 5:39)
-blessing those who curse you (Matthew 5:44; Romans 12:14)
-not repaying evil for evil (1 Peter 3:9)
-mastering your tongue to prevent it from harming others (James 3:2-12)

But you have such a poor control of your temper and tongue/fingers that you return any fire offered here, and often with an extra helping of ridicule. Should someone completely ignorant of the commands in the verses above come into this forum and read your postings, he or she would never know that Christ (and Peter) had instructed his followers thus. If your behavior is a reflection of your belief, then to the casual observer, the god you serve is indeed a god of wrath and prejudice.

And so, to borrow a phrase from the Galactic Emperor: "with each passing moment, you make yourself more my servant."

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
02 Aug 07

Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
Yeah, I went rummaging through the history of my posts as a borderline agnostic here, and what the heck? (smacks head) I don't have a single post where I'm trying to present a positive witness for Christ. Who'd have guessed that?

Clearly, not you.

It would be silly, and probably sinful in its deception, for me to try to be an ambassador for Christ. ...[text shortened]... e from the Galactic Emperor: "with each passing moment, you make yourself more my servant."
-turning the other cheek when struck (Matthew 5:39

The word only says to turn the other cheek when struck once. The second strike were on!

Yes try to do your best not to. But God also realizes you are only human. So you can always repent later.
If someone messes with my wife or kids, guess what, Their gonna pay if I get ahold of them. And their gonna wish they knew God.

Mastering something takes time and practice. And you fail many times in between.

JJ

Moves
02 Aug 07

Originally posted by KingDavid403
lol, Well I think almost every church I've gone to has told me I'm not a christian.
lol, I go to a baptist church now and they don't like me to much. But they put up with me. It's a start. lol, We have a great pastor who preaches Alot of truth from God's word and preachs alot of God's love and forgivness. So I do alright there.
Most the p ...[text shortened]... . Weather it is in agreement or not with what I believe. Please speak freely. 🙂
Point 4 please!!!

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
02 Aug 07

[b]-turning the other cheek when struck (Matthew 5:39

The word only says to turn the other cheek when struck once. The second strike were on!

Yes try to do your best not to. But God also realizes you are only human. So you can always repent later.
If someone messes with my wife or kid ...[text shortened]... 3:2-12)[/b]
Mastering something takes time and practice. And you fail many times in between.[/b]
Do you take and leave the commandments with the same degree of flippancy?

P

Moves
02 Aug 07
1 edit

If someone messes with my wife or kid 3:2-12)[/b]
Mastering something takes time and practice. And you fail many times in between.[/b]
-turning the other cheek when struck (Matthew 5:39

Do you really think that's what was meant? Really?!?!?

The easiest place to practice this should be on the web, where you have the time to think through your posts and consider the tone and likely impact before posting the words.

I see just as much vitriol and abuse from followers of this religion that claims to promote peace, love and goodwill between men as I do from others on this forum, and I've already biased that assessment in your favour to try to offset my natural bias towards atheists due to my own atheism.

--- Penguin.

b
Buzzardus Maximus

Moves
02 Aug 07

I actually really like this response. You speak from the heart.

T

Moves
02 Aug 07

When reading the teachings of Jesus, I can't help but think that a major theme is that one is to mature beyond being "only human". Perhaps you should consider that Jesus really means what he says.

Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of repentance: " to turn from sin". It goes way beyond feeling remorse. One hasn't truly repented until one has fully overcome the sin.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
02 Aug 07

Originally posted by Penguin]-turning the other cheek when struck (Matthew 5:39

[b

[i]-mastering your tongue to prevent it from harming others (James 3:2-12)
Mastering something takes time and practice. And you fai ...[text shortened]... avour to try to offset my natural bias towards atheists due to my own atheism.

--- Penguin.[/b]

Not really, It would depend on each case to me.
I got these quotes from a tv preacher named Jesse Duplantis from Texas, who is on tv early sunday mornings. He's great. lol, It's were I get my christian comedy hour sometimes. You should watch him sometime.
But, I do have a right to protect myself and my family. In fact protecting my family is a God given responsabilty to me. And there is a time for war sometimes. To protect your country and family and so forth.

JAMES Chapter 3 verses 1-12

1. My brethren, let NOT many of you become TEACHERS. knowing that we will recieve a stricter judgement.
2. For we ALL STUMBLE IN MANY THINGS. If anyone does NOT stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.
3. Indeed, we put bits in horses' mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body.
4. Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires.
5. Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things. See how great a forest a little fire kindles!
6. And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity.
The tongue is so set among our members that it deifiles the whole body, and sets on fire the courses of nature; and it is set on fire by hell.
7. For every kind of beast and bird, and reptile and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind.
But NO man can tame the tongue. It is a unruly evil, full of deadly poision.
9. With it WE bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the simiitude of God.
10. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My breathren, these things ought not to be so.

I think these verses explain how hard it is to tame the tongue. There are more scriptures to explain this also. We all will fail from time to time on saying the right things at the right times according to God's will. Weather on the internet or in person. In fact I find it harder to comunicate what I mean on the internet than in person.

James who wrote this book of the bible was the blood brother of Jesus, He was born from Joesph and mary and was one of Jesus's brothers on this earth. He did not believe in Jesus and thought He was crazy until after Jesus was murdered by us on the cross and rose again. Then He started preaching Jesus everywhere God led him.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
02 Aug 07

Originally posted by Jay Joos
Point 4 please!!!
Point 4 please!!! 4.Women who cut their hair or even cut the split ends off their hair are sinning.

I now live in a area that many churches teach and preach and command this of their followers. some Masons, UPC churches, Some sects of Minonites, Pureitines, Assembly of God sects in this area, baptist, and so forth. In fact if a woman even cuts her hair she is excomunicatied until her hair grows back. and the same for a man with longer hair.

They are using the scriptures written in 1st corinthians chapter 11 to make these man made commandments. That A woman should not cut her hair, and a man is not to have longer hair.
I have done some pretty through studies on this and these passages. And I could sit here and explain on what I think paul was saying here according to Corinth culture at the time. But I will just explain that it is NOT a sin according to Gods written word.

1st Corinthians chapter 11, verse 16. Paul says this passage right after he says everything about women with short hair, and men with long.
16. But if anyone seems contentious (on these matters) WE have no such (rules) customs, NOR do the CHURCHES of GOD.

I think this scripture explains full well that a woman is not sinning if she has shorter hair nor is a man with longer hair. And that in the churches of God there is to be no such customs or rules on these matters. Let alone to tell people they are sinning.

Anymore??

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
02 Aug 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Do you take and leave the commandments with the same degree of flippancy?
no. I was half kidding when I wrote this post. But there was some truth also to what I think.
If you read my post a couple posts back from here, you can see how I really feel on these issues.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
02 Aug 07

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
When reading the teachings of Jesus, I can't help but think that a major theme is that one is to mature beyond being "only human". Perhaps you should consider that Jesus really means what he says.

Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of repentance: " to turn from sin". It goes way beyond feeling remorse. One hasn't truly repented until one has fully overcome the sin.
I believe you are mostly correct. If you read my last few posts from here I think you can understand what I was meaning when I made this post you are refering too.
As I said I was half kidding when I made this post. But also not fully kidding either.