1. Joined
    07 Feb '03
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 13:003 edits
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Nietzsche can be argued—and among scholars there are multiple offerings of interpretation, sympathetic and unsympathetic—but he ought not to be simply dismissed based on a casual reading. He is damnably difficult, and as (deliberately?) torturous as a briar-thicket. Zarathustra cannot be read as some kind of collection of Kahlil Gibran-esque wisdom ...[text shortened]... e a temporary “giving up” of the struggle, that actually allowed a kind of “breathing space”....
    Nietzsche’s aphorism 'The Madman' fuelled the belief that humanity was creating its own destiny through science replacing god: “God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him” (Nietzsche 1887: Book Three: 125)
    Nietzsche was the madman and the crowd was Western society.

NIETZSCHE.F. 1887. The Gay Science. Translated by Walter Kaufmann. Vintage Books Inc. New York. 1974.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 14:00
    Originally posted by Serendipity
    Zathustra's madman is still running through the streets shouting to you but still no one is listening.......god is dead!
    Exactly. NOONE IS LISTENING BECAUSE WE DON'T CARE BECAUSE HE'S A MADMAN.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 14:57
    Nietzsche can be argued—and among scholars there are multiple offerings of interpretation, sympathetic and unsympathetic—but he ought not to be simply dismissed based on a casual reading. He is damnably difficult, and as (deliberately?) torturous as a briar-thicket. Zarathustra cannot be read as some kind of collection of Kahlil Gibran-esque wisdom ...[text shortened]... e a temporary “giving up” of the struggle, that actually allowed a kind of “breathing space”....
    I think we have successfully moved beyond Nietzsche in this regard. It seems the only ones who equate atheism with nihilism these days are the christians. And they do that only for tactical reasons.
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 17:001 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    He conquered physical death, but not True Death.
    What is "True Death" ? .... and why do you think he hasn't conquered it ? That still isn't clear to me.
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 17:18
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I think we have successfully moved beyond Nietzsche in this regard. It seems the only ones who equate atheism with nihilism these days are the christians. And they do that only for tactical reasons.
    I think we have successfully moved beyond Nietzsche in this regard.

I agree. Also, Nietzsche I think was a bit ego-maniacal in his self-perceived need to offer a “salvific” alternative—but maybe that was N. trying to live out his own “heroic existentialism” (or existentialist heroism). I am more and more thinking that he viewed his own life in terms of a (Campbellian?) hero-myth.
  6. Sydney
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 18:17
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    What is "True Death" ? .... and why do you think he hasn't conquered it ? That still isn't clear to me.
    Did God create death? That's not a very loving thing to do, is it?

Wait! Better question: If God can do anything, can he create a stone so large that he cannot move it?

Before you make a not-so-well-thought-through-attempt at an answer, I'll give you a hint and make this suggestion: Think outside the box (which you have apparently place God into--... sounds like a coffin, dun it?)
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '03
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 15:291 edit
    [b]I think we have successfully moved beyond Nietzsche in this regard.

I agree. Also, Nietzsche I think was a bit ego-maniacal in his self-perceived need to offer a “salvific” alternative—but maybe that was N. trying to live out his own “heroic existentialism” (or existentialist heroism). I am more and more thinking that he viewed his own life in terms of a (Campbellian?) hero-myth.[/b]
    There are notions that Nietzsche saw himself as some type of Zarathustra prophet, but in fairness dont forget the chronological context, Nietzsche was writing in the late 19th century a time when Darwinism caused shock waves throughout a Christian Europe. Also Nietzsche was possibly using the madman aphorism as a tool to point out science overcoming theology and the death of christian values such as certain morals and notions of self knowling and free will. IE where is humanity going without a GOD? And yes the nihilistic perspective is certainly there, but isn't that a natural question to ask after the death of god/religion?
  8. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 00:48
    God is dead
    - Nietzsche

Nietzsche is dead
    - God

πŸ™‚
  9. Joined
    06 Sep '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 20:47
    ^^^^ I'm sure that helps you lay your fears and doubts aside when you sleep at night.
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    31 Oct '06 21:04
    Originally posted by Serendipity
    There are notions that Nietzsche saw himself as some type of Zarathustra prophet, but in fairness dont forget the chronological context, Nietzsche was writing in the late 19th century a time when Darwinism caused shock waves throughout a Christian Europe. Also Nietzsche was possibly using the madman aphorism as a tool to point out science overcoming theo ...[text shortened]... e is certainly there, but isn't that a natural question to ask after the death of god/religion?
    Yeah, I think that all has to be taken into account.
  11. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 10:47
    Originally posted by whiterose
    God is dead
    - Nietzsche

Nietzsche is dead
    - God
    I find this statement hilarious. While I can easily find references to Nietzsche's: "God is dead", it seems impossible to find one where God says: "Nietzsche is dead".

Perhaps I should look for the writings of someone "inspired" by God, rather than something actually written by Him? πŸ˜›

God most certainly appear dead. I don't think Nietzsche ever claimed to be immortal himself, so his death is besides the point, ye?
  12. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 18:42
    God is dead and noone cares
    If there is a hell I'll see you there
  13. London
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 18:481 edit
    Originally posted by stocken
    I find this statement hilarious. While I can easily find references to Nietzsche's: "God is dead", it seems impossible to find one where God says: "Nietzsche is dead".

Perhaps I should look for the writings of someone "inspired" by God, rather than something actually written by Him? πŸ˜›

God most certainly appear dead. I don't think Nietzsche ever claimed to be immortal himself, so his death is besides the point, ye?
    Gen 1: God says "Let there be [stuff]" and [stuff] happens.

One can infer that God has said "Nietzsche is dead" from the fact that Nietzsche is, indeed, dead.

πŸ˜‰
  14. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 08:45
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Gen 1: God says "Let there be [stuff]" and [stuff] happens.

One can infer that God has said "Nietzsche is dead" from the fact that Nietzsche is, indeed, dead.

πŸ˜‰
    I know, LH. πŸ™‚

I was merely commenting on the fact that he wrote it like a quote and that he seemed to think of it as a "God won"-situation. To my knowledge Nietzsche never claimed to be immortal in the first place. Looks to me (as I can see no evidence of a God) that Nietzsche "won" (if anyone). πŸ˜›
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulΓ€rer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 09:02
    Originally posted by stocken
    I know, LH. πŸ™‚

I was merely commenting on the fact that he wrote it like a quote and that he seemed to think of it as a "God won"-situation. To my knowledge Nietzsche never claimed to be immortal in the first place. Looks to me (as I can see no evidence of a God) that Nietzsche "won" (if anyone). πŸ˜›
    It's a lame joke, but Christians seem to think it's funny.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree