God is dead and we killed him

God is dead and we killed him

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
03 Nov 06

Originally posted by vistesd
[b]I think we have successfully moved beyond Nietzsche in this regard.

I agree. Also, Nietzsche I think was a bit ego-maniacal in his self-perceived need to offer a “salvific” alternative—but maybe that was N. trying to live out his own “heroic existentialism” (or existentialist heroism). I am more and more thinking that he viewed his own life in terms of a (Campbellian?) hero-myth.[/b]
In that sense, Nietszche anticipated certain trends in modern art (and politics, since life imitates art--badly). Unity of life and work: uncompromising aestheticism!

Cape Town

Moves
03 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Gen 1: God says "Let there be [stuff]" and [stuff] happens.

One can infer that God has said "Nietzsche is dead" from the fact that Nietzsche is, indeed, dead.

😉
If God exists then Nietzsche is not dead but still lives (in heaven or hell or one of those other places). Unless of course we are talking biological death in which case God was never alive in the first place (not being a biological being) and so could not now be dead.

[edit] "Nietzsche is dead" is past tense so unless you meant "Die Nietzsche" then you cant really infer the words from the effect.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
03 Nov 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
If God exists then Nietzsche is not dead but still lives (in heaven or hell or one of those other places). Unless of course we are talking biological death in which case God was never alive in the first place (not being a biological being) and so could not now be dead.
Jesus was supposed to have been the divine incarnate, according to the orthodox Christianities.

l

London

Moves
03 Nov 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Jesus was supposed to have been the divine incarnate, according to the orthodox Christianities.
Which reminds me of the post-consecration proclamation of faith by the people in the Roman rite:

"Christ has died.
Christ is risen.
Christ will come again."

So, I suppose Nietzsche would've been correct if he'd said "God has died" rather than "God is dead". 🙂

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
03 Nov 06

So, I suppose Nietzsche would've been correct if he'd said "God has died" rather than "God is dead". 🙂
Nietszche didn't say it.

http://atheism.about.com/library/weekly/aa042600a.htm

Cape Town

Moves
03 Nov 06

Which reminds me of the post-consecration proclamation of faith by the people in the Roman rite:

"Christ has died.
Christ is risen.
Christ will come again."

This made me think of another Christian paradox. Christ rose from the dead in flesh and blood form. He then did not die again but was lifted up to heaven. Did his flesh go to heaven? Is heaven a physical place where flesh can exist? Is it a place where flesh can die? If Christ is no longer in flesh form then surely we can say he is biologically dead? If death is not possible for him then can we say he is truly alive?

l

London

Moves
03 Nov 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
This made me think of another Christian paradox. Christ rose from the dead in flesh and blood form. He then did not die again but was lifted up to heaven. Did his flesh go to heaven? Is heaven a physical place where flesh can exist? Is it a place where flesh can die? If Christ is no longer in flesh form then surely we can say he is biologically dead? If death is not possible for him then can we say he is truly alive?
"Did his flesh go to heaven?"

Yes.

"Is heaven a physical place where flesh can exist?"

Yes and no. Flesh can exist in heaven, but heaven is not a physical location in our universe.

"Is it a place where flesh can die?"

By the very nature of heaven, no.

S

Moves
04 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Nietszche didn't say it.

http://atheism.about.com/library/weekly/aa042600a.htm
He did if you realise that Nietzsche used the madman as a prop representing himself as a madman in an apparently sane world of people who would not listen just as no one wanted to listen to the madman. I believe at the end of the aphorism he states that the madman says 'I come too early' which is always something Nietzsche said of himself, stating that he was 'a man born posthumously' .

w

Moves
05 Nov 06

Originally posted by stocken
I know, LH. 🙂

I was merely commenting on the fact that he wrote it like a quote and that he seemed to think of it as a "God won"-situation. To my knowledge Nietzsche never claimed to be immortal in the first place. Looks to me (as I can see no evidence of a God) that Nietzsche "won" (if anyone). 😛
I only wrote that quote because I saw it on a tee-shirt once and thought it was funny. I am not a christian, nor do I think that there is a god that "won" over Nietzsche because Nietzsche is dead. I sure seem to have sparked some interesting debate, though 😉

S

Moves
05 Nov 06

Originally posted by whiterose
I only wrote that quote because I saw it on a tee-shirt once and thought it was funny. I am not a christian, nor do I think that there is a god that "won" over Nietzsche because Nietzsche is dead. I sure seem to have sparked some interesting debate, though 😉
that's quite funny :
God is dead
- Nietzsche

Nietzsche is dead
- God

i wouldn't mind the t-shirt 🙂