god is legit

god is legit

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
im not telling god that im going to be a bad person if he doesnt bless me lol. its actually the opposite. god chose for some reason beyond me (maybe because he had foreseen that id be a good person) to bless me with an extremely high level of intelligence and a child prodigy-like artistic ability. before i ever had the chance to decide to be a good or ...[text shortened]... on my car because of a stupid mistake i made. well, at least i HAVE a job in this economy."
You're alright in my book.
When I drop something on my foot I say "Thank you God" instead of "*&?#",like I used to. It took a bit of practice but now I realize that every dent in my ego is part of Gods plan.

PN

Moves
08 Jan 10

u do not need conviction to accept that u are u.
worse off “faith”.
FACTS?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
09 Jan 10

get off the internet n find him cuz you aint gona find him here. i havent posted in forever and i used to think god wasnt real but now that ive lived a little bit of life, i have discovered that he IS real
No, God the Father and Mary were not married.

IC

Moves
09 Jan 10

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I thought he was omnipresent.

*crosses arms, shakes head* 😀
Do Not maketh his omnipresent hand reach out and beyotch smite thee.

L

Moves
09 Jan 10

EVERYONE, christian or not does good things because some way, somehow, they are rewarded at the end. you can deny it all you want but every time you open a door for somebody and you get a bright smile and a thank you, it makes you feel good about yourself. if you don't get as little as a smile, you feel disappointed. nobody does good without a reward o ...[text shortened]... E sort. i want to do good things because it makes me feel good about myself, that's my reward.
nobody does good without a reward of SOME sort. i want to do good things because it makes me feel good about myself, that's my reward.

It's natural to feel a sense of satisfaction when you do good things for others. But, even if this feeling attended each and every successful good deed you performed, that wouldn't show that you are motivated to perform such deeds because of the personal satisfaction that you derive from them. The fact that one derives this sort of satisfaction from such dealings does not imply that it is this satisfaction that moves them to engage in such dealings.

Here is a basic example. Suppose that someone is suffering, and another compassionate person takes action that successfully alleviates the suffering. The compassionate person should naturally be expected to derive pleasure from this. But it was not such pleasure that motivated the compassionate person to act. Rather, the compassionate person was moved to action because they value the state of persons being free from suffering (which is characteristic of compassion). That they also happen to derive pleasure from the dealing is natural, since it is natural to derive pleasure when you are successful in the pursuit of things you value. It doesn't follow that the base motivator is self-interested.

We could also include an example related to the charity donations you keep discussing. You may naturally derive satisfaction from donating, especially if you see your funds successfully going to improve the lives of others. That doesn't mean you are motivated to donate by the satisfaction you ultimately derive. The principal motivator could still be genuine regard for others.

I think perhaps you are failing to appreciate this distinction, and perhaps it is not the satisfaction you mention that at bottom motivates you. If it really is the case that you are motivated in all your dealings by the pleasure you stand to experience, then you are basically a psychological egoist.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
10 Jan 10

Originally posted by LemonJello
[b]nobody does good without a reward of SOME sort. i want to do good things because it makes me feel good about myself, that's my reward.

It's natural to feel a sense of satisfaction when you do good things for others. But, even if this feeling attended each and every successful good deed you performed, that wouldn't show that you are motivated to ...[text shortened]... ngs by the pleasure you stand to experience, then you are basically a psychological egoist.[/b]
I just walk down to my local park and pick up rubbish from time to time. My reward: Pretty self explanatory. I just look at the other people looking at me probably thinking that I'm picking up all sorts of germs. Modern consumerism sucks. why is it always the McDonalds rubbish and coke cans that get thrown away the most? Hmmm..

rc

Moves
10 Jan 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I just walk down to my local park and pick up rubbish from time to time. My reward: Pretty self explanatory. I just look at the other people looking at me probably thinking that I'm picking up all sorts of germs. Modern consumerism sucks. why is it always the McDonalds rubbish and coke cans that get thrown away the most? Hmmm..
this is most admirable!

T

Moves
10 Jan 10
4 edits

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
this is most admirable!
Admirable to you maybe.

For me it means having to choke down another McDonald's meal, chasing it down with another nasty Coke and hauling everything down to the park in order to keep karoly's life meaningful. This I do selflessly, without reward and without regard for my long term health.

rc

Moves
10 Jan 10

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Admirable to you maybe.

For me it means having to choke down another McDonald's meal, chasing it down with another nasty Coke and hauling everything down to the park in order to keep karoly's life meaningful. This I do selflessly, without reward and without regard for my long term health.
i refuse to eat at MacDonalds on principle, but i have to go their for my kid.

T

Moves
10 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i refuse to eat at MacDonalds on principle, but i have to go their for my kid.
Was the humor too subtle for you?

rc

Moves
10 Jan 10

Was the humor too subtle for you?
i do not really associate your posts with humour, i need to disarm myself first, sorry, past experience , i read them with a siege mentality, but even if i did not get it, i am sure you might like to laugh at your own jokes 🙂

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
10 Jan 10

Admirable to you maybe.

I'm disgusted at modern consumer mentality and also appalled at people who dont give a crap about their enviroment. The attitude around here is "leave it for someone else to clean up".
Sorry, but for me its beyond a joke.

T

Moves
11 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I'm disgusted at modern consumer mentality and also appalled at people who dont give a crap about their enviroment. The attitude around here is "leave it for someone else to clean up".
Sorry, but for me its beyond a joke.
It's an ego dominated world. They can't see beyond themselves. Why there are even those who are so controlled by ego that they believe that they can seek pleasure while breaking free of ego.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
11 Jan 10

It's an ego dominated world. They can't see beyond themselves. Why there are even those who are so controlled by ego that they believe that they can seek pleasure while breaking free of ego.
..And those that think their egos are smarter than others egos..😉

E

Moves
11 Jan 10

all this talk about ego is pretty annoying. nobody said anything about ego except for you. it's only an ego dominated world for kids ranging from the ages of 16-20ish.