1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 14:50
    Originally posted by checkbaiter

If you had a son who did evil, are you to blame for his evil?
    If I was able to stop that evil (being all-powerful and all), then yes, I am to blame. If I also created evil, then I'm even more to blame.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 14:55
    No, He is not. This is traditional Christianity and it makes no sense.
    God accepted responsibility for the temptation of Job much the same way God accepts that He created evil.

Isaiah is very clear. God created evil. That is not to say that God is evil. So your verses about there being no darkness in God is irrelevant and demonstrates a lack of creative thinking on your part. So rather than being led by eloquent speakers who divert from the Bible maybe you should accept the Bible as it is written.

God created evil and allowed it to enter into the human race. However perpetrators of evil will pay the price of their evil. Much the same way that God created a most powerful force within people which is procreation but then established rules about how it is to be conducted. The desire to procreate leads to all kinds of sin, all of which will lead to punishment.

God created evil but evil people will be destroyed. There is no contradiction.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 14:56
    Originally posted by vivify
    If I was able to stop that evil (being all-powerful and all), then yes, I am to blame. If I also created evil, then I'm even more to blame.
    So you are evil because your son is evil?
    I do not believe God knows all future events,( he has a pretty good idea, though) God cannot stop evil without violating his own nature.
    If God can just prevent evil, why pray?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 15:00
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    God accepted responsibility for the temptation of Job much the same way God accepts that He created evil.

Isaiah is very clear. God created evil. That is not to say that God is evil. So your verses about there being no darkness in God is irrelevant and demonstrates a lack of creative thinking on your part. So rather than being led by eloquent speakers wh ...[text shortened]... to punishment.

God created evil but evil people will be destroyed. There is no contradiction.
    Then by your own admission, God would be evil by creating it in the first place.
    you...
    God created evil and allowed it
    That seems to me, evil. You make no sense.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 15:03
    Then by your own admission, God would be evil by creating it in the first place.
    you...
    [b]God created evil and allowed it

That seems to me, evil. You make no sense.[/b]
    So we are back to FMFs question. Is Isaiah mistaken? You said that that passage is misunderstood? How? Please explain how. You cannot just state a clear Bible passage is misunderstood without explaining how.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 15:09
    So you are evil because your son is evil?
    Again, if I can stop my son from doing evil but don't, I am to blame.

"If God can just prevent evil, why pray?"

Bingo. No one should have to ask God to do what's moral, especially since he's supposed to be all-powerful. If I'm all powerful, and I know a child is being raped, isn't it immoral for me to not stop it?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 15:17
    So we are back to FMFs question. Is Isaiah mistaken? You said that that passage is misunderstood? How? Please explain how. You cannot just state a clear Bible passage is misunderstood without explaining how.
    We have covered this before. You don't seem to like figures of speech, especially Metonymy, so let's stop here.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 15:23

Bingo. No one should have to ask God to do what's moral, especially since he's supposed to be all-powerful. If I'm all powerful, and I know a child is being raped, isn't it immoral for me to not stop it?
    When Adam transferred control of the world to Satan, God in his righteousness and by the way, legally, cannot just take it back.
    Satan is here to kill, steal and destroy.
    In God's plan, he is getting control back and destroying Satan once and for all, through his son Jesus Christ.
    Yes, there is suffering and evil, and God knew there would be, but he calculated the risk and determined it would be worth it. In the future all evil will be judged and recompense will be met.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 15:251 edit

We pray to ask God to intervene in a world that is not legally his. Thus 1John 5:19
    The world lies in the control of the wicked one, have to go for now, things to do...
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 15:40
    When Adam transferred control of the world to Satan, God in his righteousness and by the way, legally, cannot just take it back.
    Satan is here to kill, steal and destroy.
    In God's plan, he is getting control back and destroying Satan once and for all, through his son Jesus Christ.
    Yes, there is suffering and evil, and God knew there would be, but he ...[text shortened]... termined it would be worth it. In the future all evil will be judged and recompense will be met.
    We're talking about a being that wiped out nearly every living thing with a global flood. Since when does God care about "legal"?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 15:51
    God says:

That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else. I form the light, and create darkness:[b] I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
    (Isaiah 45:6-7 KJV)

I think thats clear enough. We dont need another youtube religion to tell us what the Bible says clearly.[/b]
    Great but let's see you prove those words came from a real deity rather than just pithy phrases invented by men intent on making a religion.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 16:21
    We're talking about a being that wiped out nearly every living thing with a global flood. Since when does God care about "legal"?
    Again this has been discussed here before. These people were the "nephelim " people so evil that the human race would have ended, God had to intervene to save his creation.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 16:40
    We have covered this before. You don't seem to like figures of speech, especially Metonymy, so let's stop here.
    So here is :

Metonymy (/mᵻˈtɒnᵻmi/ mi-TONN-ə-mee) is a figure of speech in which a thing or concept is called not by its own name but rather by the name of something associated in meaning with that thing or concept.

Here is what God said:

That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else. I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. (Isaiah 45:6-7 KJV)

Where is the metonymy?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 16:43
    “Today we can look back into the Old Testament, see Metonymy of the Subject and understand why God had to use this figure of speech. It seems clear that without the power to fight the Devil, people were better off not knowing about him. In His abounding love, God “took the blame” for good and evil, telling His people that if they believed and obeyed Him, they would be blessed, but if they disobeyed Him, He would afflict them. God’s use of Metonymy of the Subject emphasized His efforts to communicate to His people both the consequences of their sin and the fact that, if they disobeyed Him, He would have to give them up to their disobedience and let them learn the hard way. In the Old Testament, “windows” allowing us to see the spiritual battle going on “behind the scenes” are few, but they do exist (see Chapter Eleven).

Excerpt From: John W. Schoenheit, Mark H. Graeser & John A. Lynn. “Don't Blame God.” iBooks.
    This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/c9mlT.l

In other words, people did not have "holy spirit" to properly combat evil. They were defenseless. Today people can have holy spirit because of Jesus Christ. In the old testament holy spirit was not available yet. Only a few had holy spirit "upon them " and it was conditional. Not so today.
    We can walk and talk with God, he can warn us of things we could not know naturally. He has given us power as Jesus gave his disciples.
    Luke 10:18-21

18 And He said to them, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19 Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. 20 Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven."

NKJV

Luke 10:23-24

23 Then He turned to His disciples and said privately, "Blessed are the eyes which see the things you see; 24 for I tell you that many prophets and kings have desired to see what you see, and have not seen it, and to hear what you hear, and have not heard it."
    NKJV

verse 24 should raise flags to the reader. This had never been stated anywhere in the old testament. Jesus came to declare God to the people of his time. Basically he was saying, you heard it said that God allowed evil, I am saying that God is all good and cannot do evil.
    Any one interested in this subject should read the book mentioned above or at the very least look a little more deeply to who God and Jesus really are.
    I assure you they are loving and good.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Mar '16 17:00
    Again this has been discussed here before. These people were the "nephelim " people so evil that the human race would have ended, God had to intervene to save his creation.
    Nephelim were half-human, half-angel hybrids. Why didn't God just get rid of them? Why did he wipe out nearly every human as well?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree