1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 09:422 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Because I live in a predominantly christian society.

It seems the most relevant group to direct it at (since they could control the government (upto a point) , if they chose to).
    Sorry I just saw your opening post as another one of your attacks on Christians, not a comment about controlling government. Here are two key parts of your OP:

My inquiry is this: Why cant christians understand that the god they worship is the same one that the hindus (for example) worship?

(Remember the example of Guatama Buddha becoming a hindu avatar. This speaks volumes to me as a huge, well-established religion (hinduism) has accepted an outsider as one of their own. There is no way Buddha would've been declared a saint if he were born and lived in a christian society back in those days. Most likely he would've been burnt and tortured for being possessed by the devil.)

I don't see anything about a supposed correlation between number of people in a religion and controlling government - just a another lame attempt to have a pop at Christianity followed up with your attempt in your reply to me, to turn it into a sociology issue. If you want to have a go at Christians - just have a go mate. Don't fanny about and then hide when challenged - get your balls on the block and lets see what they are made of?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 09:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The legitimate son of Abraham was named Isaac.

Genesis 21:2-3
    So Sarah conceived and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the
    appointed time of which God had spoken to him. Abraham called the
    name of his son who was born to him, whom Sarah bore to him, Isaac.
    And these people are important how? (other than being mentioned in the bible)
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 10:011 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Sorry I just saw your opening post as another one of your attacks on Christians, not a comment about controlling government. Here are two key parts of your OP:

[b]My inquiry is this: Why cant christians understand that the god they worship is the same one that the hindus (for example) worship?

[quote](Remember the example of Guata then hide when challenged - get your balls on the block and lets see what they are made of?[/b]
    Ok,ok.. Yes, I am having a bot of a go at christianity-I wont deny that. But I have my reasons.
    Firstly please note that I have met some professed christians that have been excellent examples of christs teachings. They were not sheep or "weekend christians", they were the real deal.
    The idea that the christian voters can change politics was just a quick idea. I did not really think it through, however I do see merit in pursuing this line of enquiry as I think you would see that a lot of these self-proclaimed "christians" wouldn't have the balls to back up their beliefs if asked to vote for them.
    A lot of these so -called christians wouldn't know what practicing spirituality was at all. Like I said, it's just something to go along with the rest of the society around them.
    My father is an excellent example of this. He went to church and took us kids to church. Once or twice a month. We prayed at the dinner table nearly every night.
    But that was about it. That is all I remember of practicing any spirituality.
    When I asked my Dad, at age 8, if there really was a God, he told me ,"we're not really sure, I dont know for sure kid".
    This memory sticks out for me as one of the first pivotal moments in the blossoming of my "spirituality" .
    From there I went to finding out about a lot of other religions and naturally trying to think why ? Why did a huge amount of people believe one thing and and vice versa?

But I digress, the main point I wanted to make about the Op is that the concept of god is a very tried and true concept for a lot of people. Internally it works for them. It works for me in certain areas of my understanding. Ie. the word ("god" ) itself. It's a useful tool in communicating.
    However in no way are we supposed to take the finger pointing at the moon as the moon itself. Just as the light from the moon does not actually come from the moon. 🙂
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 10:311 edit
    Ok,ok.. Yes, I am having a bot of a go at christianity-I wont deny that. But I have my reasons.
    Firstly please note that I have met some professed christians that have been excellent examples of christs teachings. They were not sheep or "weekend christians", they were the real deal.
    The idea that the christian voters can change politics was just a qui itself. Just as the light from the moon does not actually come from the moon. 🙂
    I don't understand you; you say you are having a go at Christianity because "you have your reasons" and then go on to say that some of the first Christians you met "were excellent examples of Christ's teachings".

But you also claim that "many professed Christian's wouldn't have the balls to vote for their beliefs if asked to" - what do you mean by this? I vote for for a person based on their political stance not on their religion. I wouldn't vote for a Christian just because they were a Christian - is this what you are trying to generalise about Christians?

As for your Dad, I don't know what your relationship with him is (mine wasn't good with my Dad when I lived at home); perhaps you should judge him on the upbringing he gave you in general and not on the fact that he (like every other human being in the world) harboured doubts about the nature of God - perhaps you should admire his honesty and dedication to his version of a spiritual ideal at least? Perhaps he had/has something you missed...?

Christians are indeed "weakened" individuals, forever broken and needing to rely on their Lord. However trusting in Christ brings his strength and confidence to a person - he said "my strength is made perfect in weakness".
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 10:42
    I don't understand you; you say you are having a go at Christianity because "you have your reasons" and then go on to say that some of the first Christians you met "were excellent examples of Christ's teachings".

But you also claim that "many professed Christian's wouldn't have the balls to vote for their beliefs if asked to" - what do you mean by thi ...[text shortened]... and confidence to a person - he said "my strength is made perfect in weakness".
    (paragraph by paragraph)

1.I am having a go at christians and praising them also,yes. Is there a problem with that? I always seen christianity as "mixed" relgion, with some excellent bits and some deplorable bits.

2.Do you not think that the head of government should also be head of religion? I do. Like the Dalai Lama was before Tibet got invaded.
    I would want my political leaders to be adept spiritual practioners, if they cant be actual 'dieties' themselves.

3.I had an excellent childhood and a great relationship with my Dad. The only area that my parents lacked with their parenting was with sexual education. Also my parents split after 20 happy years and my dad went back to Hungary when I was 18, but by then I had already left the roost. I was just trying to use my dad as an example of the "average joe" and his take on god/relgion.

4.Are they "weakened"? Didn't I say "weekend"? (I'll just check)
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 10:541 edit
    (paragraph by paragraph)

1.I am having a go at christians and praising them also,yes. Is there a problem with that? I always seen christianity as "mixed" relgion, with some excellent bits and some deplorable bits.

2.Do you not think that the head of government should also be head of religion? I do. Like the Dalai Lama was before Tibet got invaded. n god/relgion.

4.Are they "weakened"? Didn't I say "weekend"? (I'll just check)
    There is no 'problem' with anything you say; I'm just trying to understand you. You appear to me to be someone who likes to jump on the christian-bashing band wagon every now and then - and then jump off again very quickly!

Christians and Christianity are an easy popular target aren't they. Especially when some factions of the religion did deplorable things hundreds of years ago - and yet the main modern day religious atrocities have nothing to do Christianity do they? It's the 'other ones' those religions who should not be attacked nor generalised nor stereotyped in any way (and rightly so) who have publicly murdered thousands in recent years.

I said weakened not you - I'm well aware of what you are referring to to as "weekend" Christians.
  7. St. Peter's
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 11:28
    There is so much about the supposed existence/non existence of God, as described and duly interpretted from the bible. The christian one.
    The core of all major religions refer to one god, so if there is one god, then it could only be the same one.
    Ok, so far? (if not I can back up, but I thought this was a given so far)

My inquiry is this: Why cant ...[text shortened]... d've been burnt and tortured for being possessed by the devil.)

Thoughts/Comments/answers?
    Sidartha was Hindu, he wasn't an outsider...just sayin'....
  8. St. Peter's
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 11:41
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    you keep telling yourself that. the truth is that he fulfilled nothing and completely redefined the god of the OT creating something fully alien to what the jews knew of their god.
    you surely have not read the gospels then. Jesus changed nothing, it was the writers of the epistles that redefined or "fine tuned" our perception of God.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 13:15
    Point is it's hardly relevant to the part of the world I reside in. When the bible was written Australia might as well have been seen as another planet, if it was known of at all.
    Which brings me to another strange point concerning the bible which is: Wasn't the bible written in a time when the Earth was still thought to be flat? Do you think that ther ...[text shortened]... at the centre of the universe,etc. Any ideas/explanations on this subject would be welcome.
    Why are you assuming that at that time the Earth was thought to be flat? Do you have proof of that?

If the boundaries of the universe are not known to anyone, how can you establish the center or claim that the Earth is not at the center.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 13:332 edits
    There is no 'problem' with anything you say; I'm just trying to understand you. You appear to me to be someone who likes to jump on the christian-bashing band wagon every now and then - and then jump off again very quickly!

Christians and Christianity are an easy popular target aren't they. Especially when some factions of the religion did deplor ened not you - I'm well aware of what you are referring to to as "weekend" Christians.
    "You appear to me to be someone who likes to jump on the christian-bashing band wagon every now and then-and then jump off again very quickly!"

Well that's one way of looking at it. I try to have reasons for my views , and some parts of christianity dont sit right with me and others do. It's as simple as that.
    And BTW, I wouldn't
    call myself a "basher" of any kind.

No need to draw on emotions here (referring to your 2nd last paragraph). There's more to my criticisms than the blatant atrocities committed ages ago. In fact, I dont think I mentioned anything like that. I was referring to people calling themselves "christian" but only acting christian sometimes, on weekends, rarely or never.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 13:351 edit
    Originally posted by Doward
    Sidartha was Hindu, he wasn't an outsider...just sayin'....
    tomato, tomatoe

edit: Hindu buddhist?
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 13:401 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Why are you assuming that at that time the Earth was thought to be flat? Do you have proof of that?

If the boundaries of the universe are not known to anyone, how can you establish the center or claim that the Earth is not at the center.
    No, I'm not sure. I thought the Earth was thought to be flat until about 500-600 years ago by the general populice.
    I thought that was common knowledge (?)

Looking at the region of the galaxy of where our Earth is situated, along one of those arms of those spiral shaped Star formations, it is quite a long way visually from anything that would remotely look like a "centre" of those star formations in anyway. If anything it looks like it's off the beaten track.
    If the universe is a reflection of God then our Earth is not at the centre of it,.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 13:50
    No, I'm not sure. I thought the Earth was thought to be flat until about 500-600 years ago by the general populice.

Looking at the region of the galaxy of where our Earth is situated, along one of those arms of those spiral shaped Star formations, it is quite a long way visually from anything that would remo ...[text shortened]... n track.
    If the universe is a reflection of God then our Earth is not at the centre of it,.
    Like I said you need to do your own research which is very simple to do. Google it.

The Earth is not the centre of the Milky Way galaxy. That is true, but what does that have to do with the universe?

If the universe is a reflection of God?? Where did you get that one from.

Here is some advice. Do some research on your own. Then start a thread. This way you can contribute in a meaningfull way with more facts.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 15:16

Looking at the region of the galaxy of where our Earth is situated, along one of those arms of those spiral shaped Star formations, it is quite a long way visually from anything that would remo ...[text shortened]... n track.
    That was in a period history books call the dark ages. Before that
    the earth was known to be circular like a ball.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 18:42
    There's more to my criticisms than the blatant atrocities committed ages ago. In fact, I dont think I mentioned anything like that. I was referring to people calling themselves "christian" but only acting christian sometimes, on weekends, rarely or never.
    No, sorry to be challenging with you on this my slippery friend; you used the word "deplorable" in describing Christians and claimed that "a Hindu becoming a Buddha (or visa-versa) would be burned at the stake in Christian world at one time"

What were you referring to when you said that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree