1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 20:57
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Like I said you need to do your own research which is very simple to do. Google it.

The Earth is not the centre of the Milky Way galaxy. That is true, but what does that have to do with the universe?

If the universe is a reflection of God?? Where did you get that one from.

Here is some advice. Do some research on your own. Then start a thread. This way you can contribute in a meaningfull way with more facts.
    Done my facts, you just backed it up. ie."The Earth is not the centre of the Milky Way galaxy"

But what has that to do with the universe? Ummm, considering that IS the universe you are looking at, I would say it has a lot to do with where the Earth is situated. No reason to research here it seems, unless I have missed something

"If the universe is a reflection of God" , perhaps I should've used "representation"? Whats wrong with that? again, are not the stars we see a part of the universe which is part of "God"?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 20:59
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That was in a period history books call the dark ages. Before that
    the earth was known to be circular like a ball.
    There is something very counterintuitive about that statement. I'll get back to it.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 21:08
    Originally posted by divegeester
    No, sorry to be challenging with you on this my slippery friend; you used the word "deplorable" in describing Christians and claimed that "a Hindu becoming a Buddha (or visa-versa) would be burned at the stake in Christian world at one time"

What were you referring to when you said that.
    Ok, so prince siddharta,(Guatama Buddha), is born in a hindu society, learning hindu words and ideas. He then finds his own spirituality, which rejects,( and accepts), Hinduism. This new spirituality/philosophy/pscycology is called "Buddhism" by subesequent generations. And Guatama is accepted as a hindu avatar.
    So Hinduism not only accepted the buddha, who rejected a lot of what was being taught about spirituality around him,(ie. flew in the face of conventional wisdom at the time), it seems he was actually embraced even

(perhaps rvsakhadeo could shed some light on this).

I am betting that if the same man came along with similar ideas in say Jesus's time (remember the buddha was actually 500 years before), he would've been declared a heretic or burnt at the stake or even perhaps hung up like JC. They would NOT have made him into a saint, (which is the equivalent of what the hindus did)
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 21:57
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Ok, so prince siddharta,(Guatama Buddha), is born in a hindu society, learning hindu words and ideas. He then finds his own spirituality, which rejects,( and accepts), Hinduism. This new spirituality/philosophy/pscycology is called "Buddhism" by subesequent generations. And Guatama is accepted as a hindu avatar.
    So Hinduism not only accepted the buddh ...[text shortened]... They would NOT have made him into a saint, (which is the equivalent of what the hindus did)
    So you ARE referring to potential alleged "atrocities" despite saying you weren't?

My point being, you either don't know what you are talking about, can't decide what you are talking about or don't have the courage of your conviction to talk about what you are talking about.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 21:591 edit
    Done my facts, you just backed it up. ie."The Earth is not the centre of the Milky Way galaxy"

But what has that to do with the universe? Ummm, considering that IS the universe you are looking at, I would say it has a lot to do with where the Earth is situated. No reason to research here it seems, unless I have missed something

"If the universe is th that? again, are not the stars we see a part of the universe which is part of "God"?
    You really need to read more.
    The universe is everything and inculdes all the billions of galaxies, planets, suns and stars, nebulas, wormholes etc etc ... lots of stuff out there.
    The Milky Way is one galaxy within the universe .. one of billions.
    The boundaries of the universe are not known.
    Stars are part of the creation and that is not God as I understand it.

Google the word "hubble" and you will see some of it yourself.

Boy .. I feel like Im talking to a 5 year old.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 22:04
    So you ARE referring to potential alleged "atrocities" despite saying you weren't?

My point being, you either don't know what you are talking about, can't decide what you are talking about or don't have the courage of your conviction to talk about what you are talking about.
    I am talking about a specific example.
    Sorry to say it, but the christian religion has been associated with what we would consider ultra-violent acts in this day and age.
    You seen "the life of Brian"?
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 22:07
    You really need to read more.
    The universe is everything and inculdes all the billions of galaxies, planets, suns and stars, nebulas, wormholes etc etc ... lots of stuff out there.
    The Milky Way is one galaxy within the universe .. one of billions.
    The boundaries of the universe are not known.
    Stars are part of the creation and that is not God as I under ...[text shortened]... ubble" and you will see some of it yourself.

Boy .. I feel like Im talking to a 5 year old.
    Answer 2 questions:
    1. Was the Earth thought to be flat by earlier societies?

2.Was the Earth seen as the centre of the universe with the Sun revolving around it by earlier societies?
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 22:12
    Answer 2 questions:
    1. Was the Earth thought to be flat by earlier societies?

2.Was the Earth seen as the centre of the universe with the Sun revolving around it by earlier societies?
    1. No. Only some rather dunce Europeans thought the world was flat.

2. I dont Know. Thats irrelevant anyhow.

Why would you assume that God needs to inform people on all the details of the unverse. Its of no consequence.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 22:222 edits
    I am talking about a specific example.
    Sorry to say it, but the christian religion has been associated with what we would consider ultra-violent acts in this day and age.
    You seen "the life of Brian"?
    There have been horrific things done in the name of all religions, all political parties, all cultures and all races - it is a function of what we are. Would you ban science because of the atom bomb? Would you ban all humans because of evil they [some] do?

I think the point you are almost trying to apologise for making is irrelevant when considering the validity of a particular religion; in the same way that trying to validate nuclear research by considering Hiroshima, is irrelevant.

If you want to insist on taking this arbitrary approach, then look first a recent atrocities such as 9/11 rather than something you 'think' would have happened in a hypothetical situation to a Buddha migrating to Christianity.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 22:22
    1. No. Only some rather dunce Europeans thought the world was flat.

2. I dont Know. Thats irrelevant anyhow.

Why would you assume that God needs to inform people on all the details of the unverse. Its of no consequence.
    Not all the details, but the details "he" does reveal should be true.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 22:31
    There have been horrific things done in the name of all religions, all political parties, all cultures and all races - it is a function of what we are. Would you ban science because of the atom bomb? Would you ban all humans because of evil they [some] do?

I think the point you are almost trying to apologise for making is irrelevant when conside ...[text shortened]... 'think' would have happened in a hypothetical situation to a Buddha migrating to Christianity.
    Look, if I was professing to be a christian, I would feel somewhat responsible for the religion I was into.
    Just as modern day Australians were asked to say "sorry" , (and indeed, so did the Prime Minister ,eventually), to the indegenous people that they "took over" so too chrsitians should have to accept some responsibilty for the movement which they stand for.
    You need to acknowledge clearly that the history of christianity is a patchy one at best (when it comes to violence), whereas Buddhism is far less violent.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 22:422 edits
    Look, if I was professing to be a christian, I would feel somewhat responsible for the religion I was into.
    Just as modern day Australians were asked to say "sorry" , (and indeed, so did the Prime Minister ,eventually), to the indegenous people that they "took over" so too chrsitians should have to accept some responsibilty for the movement which they ...[text shortened]... y is a patchy one at best (when it comes to violence), whereas Buddhism is far less violent.
    I don't NEED to acknowledge anything chap, but I do of course recognise historical fact. You perhaps need to acknowledge that you are part of the human race and that these things were done by human beings.

What is done in the 'name' of something does not define it; it merely defines those who do it- you must realise this. If your criteria for finding "spirituality" is finding a group of people with a history of non violence that I suggest you avoid history books and join a convent.

You were brought up as a Christian by a good family and an honest father who told you he did not have the whole truth; you must find whatever excuses you feel are adequate to anaesthetise your conscience for ignoring the truth he gave you, and seek solace with the atheists and the philosophical religions, who will tickle your intellect and sooth your troubled inner self respectively.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 23:54
    I don't NEED to acknowledge anything chap, but I do of course recognise historical fact. You perhaps need to acknowledge that you are part of the human race and that these things were done by human beings.

What is done in the 'name' of something does not define it; it merely defines those who do it- you must realise this. If your criteria for find ...[text shortened]... religions, who will tickle your intellect and sooth your troubled inner self respectively.
    Nice the way you can infer that from what I told you.
    I dont feel like I am looking for excuses or trying to tickle my intellect.
    I have my own version of the truth and I live and die by it.
    If you feel you dont need to acknowledge the groups you align yourself with's shortcomings, then fine, sorry for suggesting it.

non-violence is only one of the tenets of a "good religion", I never suggested thats all there was to it.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 23:54
    Not all the details, but the details "he" does reveal should be true.
    So what UNTRUE details did God reveal?
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Nov '11 01:231 edit
    So what UNTRUE details did God reveal?
    I am not sure of this at all, I was just wondering, asking a question along the lines of : Didn't people back in biblical times think that the Earth was flat and therefore drew some different conclusions about the universe than if they knew it was spherical?
    If they knew for sure that people 2000 years ago knew the Earth was round, just tell me and give me one reason or reference. That reason can even be an educated guess 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree