God on Trial

God on Trial

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
15 Sep 16

Originally posted by sonship
I have a long record in history to consider the cumulative case for God's ways and wisdom. I've been persuaded that He is righteous and it is not simply a matter of "might makes right".
This is neither evidence of anything, nor is it an argument. It is simply an assertion.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
15 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
This is neither evidence of anything, nor is it an argument. It is simply an assertion.
It's not even that, all he's done is said what his own judgement is.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Sep 16
4 edits

Originally posted by apathist
A local tribal wargod, during a short period long ago. There's the rest of the world and the rest of time, too. You are myopic, with blinders on.

You don't actually READ the Bible, do you ?

A "local tribal wargod?"

The Old Testament must contain something which for some reason has captured the attention of the world more so than, say, the myths of the Hittites or the Phoenicians. Don't you think ? And that is not even getting to the "new covenant" within which we read the New Testament and of one Jesus of Nazareth.

Tell me again now, with a perfectly straight face. No grinning.

"The Bible is just about a local tribal wargod and nothing more ?"

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
15 Sep 16

Originally posted by sonship
A local tribal wargod, during a short period long ago. There's the rest of the world and the rest of time, too. You are myopic, with blinders on.

A "local tribal wargod?"

The Old Testament must contain something which for some reason has captured the attention of the wo ...[text shortened]... raight face. No grinning.

Sounds like he only read the Bible up to second Kings.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Sep 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Sounds like he only read the Bible up to second Kings.
i don't think he read even up to there. I think he maybe saw a paragraph in Infidel Internet on a few verses from Joshua and deemed himself an expert on the Bible.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
15 Sep 16

originally posted by sonship
I've read from many religious books of myth and legend.

Tell me again now, with a perfectly straight face. No grinning.

I never made that claim. I said, paraphrase, the god on trial is a hebrew war god. He was a god of the hebrews and not a god of the world. The old testament makes clear he was all about destroying the enemies of the hebrews. Hebrew war god.

(apathist) deemed himself an expert on the Bible.
I never made that claim. I did identify a criminal charge against the god on trial, and its interesting that no-one has denied that he commits the actions he is charged with.

So we're headed towards a guilty verdict.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Sep 16

I'm here. Jesus is not. And there is no wisdom in the Bible that can't be found elsewhere.

There are lots of religions, each telling me different things. And there are lots of Christian sects, each telling me different things. And I search but find only nature and the world, I don't find gods and demi-gods, except in myth and legend. So I believe in natu ...[text shortened]... don't believe in myths and legends.

For this your creator God damns me to hell for eternity?
If you are going to judge God on scripture you than have to acknowledge that Jesus is
here, and God grants wisdom to those that ask Him for it without judgment. So you'd be
in error.

With respect to what people tell you, they are going to tell you a lot of everything, but God
doesn't answer for people but answers for His own words.

If you refuse to accept God as a reality, than your judging what?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
16 Sep 16
2 edits

originally posted by KellyJay
If you are going to judge God on scripture you than have to acknowledge that Jesus is
here, and God grants wisdom to those that ask Him for it without judgment. So you'd be
in error.

You don't deny the charges against the god on trial. Your issues here may be appropriate during the sentencing phase. Btw Jesus used his demigod powers to help out a few locals and then died like any mortal - so he is specifically not here in the world anymore. And the god on trial doesn't seem to grant wisdom when asked, since his believers aren't any smarter, wiser, or more moral than anyone else. Sometimes they do have an inner peace, such as secular people find in other ways.

With respect to what people tell you, they are going to tell you a lot of everything, but God
doesn't answer for people but answers for His own words.

The god on trial is being held accountable for his actions.

If you refuse to accept God as a reality, than your judging what?
The idea or concept. This is usually done to see whether a given god-belief makes sense, but here the question is whether the god on trial is guilty as charged.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Sep 16
1 edit

originally posted by [b]KellyJay
in error.

You don't deny the charges against the god on trial. Your issues here may be appropriate during the sentencing phase. Bt ...[text shortened]... god-belief makes sense, but here the question is whether the god on trial is guilty as charged.[/b]
I've denied every charge I've seen and given reasons for each. I also fail to see how
the created can charge the creator.

Jesus is not a demi-god so if your complaints are against a demi-god I'm not entering into
that discussion since that would be someone you've made up. Jesus is the Word of God
not to be confused with either a god or a demi-god.

Wisdom to recognize that we are not alone does seem void among many, not all of the
unbelievers. So I'd say you are off track there too.

With respect to peace, the peace that God gives isn't as the world does, it isn't dependent
upon our circumstances nor how much we work at getting our minds right. So the peace
that you are comparing to God's fails all over the place when you stack up one against
the other. Besides God in your life can see you through everything good or bad, again
nothing better or longer lasting.

What actions do you hold God accountable for? The vast majority of complaints I've seen
are from people who accuse God of the crimes people do to each other. Personally I think
they only do that to attempt to avoid their own guilt.

c

Moves
16 Sep 16

originally posted by [b]KellyJay
in error.

You don't deny the charges against the god on trial. Your issues here may be appropriate during the sentencing phase. Bt ...[text shortened]... god-belief makes sense, but here the question is whether the god on trial is guilty as charged.[/b]
I believe in God, just to clarify, but cannot defend Him or His actions as disclosed in the Bible.

The only alternative, is that the Bible writers got it wrong, but that leaves us with a complete not-knowing of who God may really be.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Sep 16

Originally posted by chaney3
I believe in God, just to clarify, but cannot defend Him or His actions as disclosed in the Bible.

The only alternative, is that the Bible writers got it wrong, but that leaves us with a complete not-knowing of who God may really be.
What in scriptues do you find God condemnable?

c

Moves
16 Sep 16

Originally posted by KellyJay
What in scriptues do you find God condemnable?
Passover. And all of the 10 plagues. God could have shown His power without all of the destruction shown to the innocent Egyptian population. Including the parents of Egyptian children killed due to an issue they were not aware was unfolding.

c

Moves
16 Sep 16

Passover. And all of the 10 plagues. God could have shown His power without all of the destruction shown to the innocent Egyptian population. Including the parents of Egyptian children killed due to an issue they were not aware was unfolding.
I just talked to a Jewish man on this issue, and he seemed blind to the implications of death and destruction, and only spoke of the Jewish release from slavery. With no consuderation for the carnage. They are BLIND to their own holiday.
An eye opener.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Sep 16

I just talked to a Jewish man on this issue, and he seemed blind to the implications of death and destruction, and only spoke of the Jewish release from slavery. With no consuderation for the carnage. They are BLIND to their own holiday.
An eye opener.
You mean blind to YOUR interpretation of their holiday. No surprise there.

F

Moves
16 Sep 16

An eye opener.
When you say "they", who are you referring to?