1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    16 Feb '17 13:59
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    The choice is ours. you said it.
    However everything else you say seems to want to make people's decisions for them.
    You are insecure if others don't agree with you
    You can make your choice but you can't chose not to have the consequences that follow your wrong choice. Is it wrong to encourage people to make what you believe to be the right choice?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Feb '17 14:42
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The difference you can make is nothing. We all die and are forgotten.
    I disagree. I have made many selfless contributions to society,
    Now I'm not saying some one's going to make a movie about it, but each little bit of inspiration helps Action, not words 🙂
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '17 15:54
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    While you are technically correct by assuming "always" only applies so long as there is time (if I understand correctly), I don't think that is what GOAD means.

While scientific ideas concerning the beginning of the universe and possibly time are always interesting - even though I lack the knowledge to really comprehend them - making cocksure claim ...[text shortened]... ime and space begin" should be: "Dunno".

Edit: did/does/will the universe exist without time?
    I have no idea if the universe has always existed, or how the origins of life began. (And have said as much a number of times). I am also not a Jainist. 🙂

It remains however amusing to speak with certainty about such things while conversing with a theist, especially Joe.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Feb '17 16:00
    Not a single theist has answered the question.
    (As opposed to replied)
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Feb '17 16:57
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Not a single theist has answered the question.
    (As opposed to replied)
    Perhaps God is stopping them,.....from answering?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Feb '17 20:27
    Originally posted by josephw
    Is it? Seriously, I'm not so sure. Dimension is a term usually used to measure an object. How on earth does one measure time across an infinite universe?
    Time is not space. Time is measured with a clock.

Time, as I understand it, is the measure of the rotation of objects in our immediate solar system. But that's just me talking off the top of my unscientific head! 😉
    Objects in our immediate solar system can be used to measure time, but a pendulum is so much easier, and for greater accuracy there is the quartz crystal or atomic clock. But it is undeniable that it can be measured and is a dimension and that everywhere in the universe, time passes - with the possible exception of singularities. In addition, everywhere that time passes - is part of the universe as time is inextricably connected to space. The universe IS spacetime. Spacetime IS the universe.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Feb '17 22:01
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The difference you can make is nothing. We all die and are forgotten.
    Ideas don't die if they are strong enough
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 00:10
    53 years of cynicism?

Of demonstrating Christian values?

He didn't stop you cause "He" don't exist. I thought a smart person like you would know that
    I operate under the assumption that He is real.
    I believe smart money says likewise...
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 00:42
    Now I'm not saying some one's going to make a movie about it, but each little bit of inspiration helps Action, not words 🙂
    What you believe is important is overwhelmed by the sheer size of Society. Your contribution means as much as your vote in a national election.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 02:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Time is not space. Time is measured with a clock.

[b]Time, as I understand it, is the measure of the rotation of objects in our immediate solar system. But that's just me talking off the top of my unscientific head! 😉

Objects in our immediate solar system can be used to measure time, but a pendulum is so much easier, and for greater accuracy ther ...[text shortened]... s time is inextricably connected to space. The universe IS spacetime. Spacetime IS the universe.[/b]
    Well, I guess I know time isn't space. I don't think I inferred that.

You say, "time is measured with a clock". I think I would say, time is measured by a clock, and by extension time is measured by the universe at large.

I still don't see how time is a thing that can be measured dimensionally as an object is. Objects are used to measure time, and time exists as an abstract based the movement of objects in space.

Just expressing an idea, not as though I really know what time is. I can sense the material universe, and I have a concept of time by the action of objects in space.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 14:51
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    The universe has always existed, in one form or another.

Time is a human construct.
    How did it come about that there were these creatures, human beings, who had a "need" to construct time ?
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 15:56
    Originally posted by sonship
    How did it come about that there were these creatures, human beings, who had a "need" to construct time ?
    If you scroll up the page a little you'll see where I said I don't know how the origins of life began.

In regards to 'need' though, humans, unlike the universe, are finite creatures. They are born and they die. Time helps to track the journey between the two.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 19:30
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    If you scroll up the page a little you'll see where I said I don't know how the origins of life began.

In regards to 'need' though, humans, unlike the universe, are finite creatures. They are born and they die. Time helps to track the journey between the two.
    But we're the only creatures who both mark it and keep it.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 19:382 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    But we're the only creatures who both mark it and keep it.
    Agreed. We are the only creatures who can rationalise the concept of mortal finality.(With the possible exception of the elephant). This is down to our evolved intellect.

As I say, time is a human construct. It helps us make sense of our place in history.

Edit: In case Chaney discovers this post, I was joking about the elephant.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 21:47
    I'm not encouraging anyone to follow any belief system . This sort of deep stuff is for the person to work out, not someone else to tell them what it is

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree