1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 15:32
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Point blank question: Do you believe in "God" (with a big "g" ) in any way shape or form?

I do, but my concepts of "God" do not seem to coincide with any other posters here except maybe a few who seem to deny the existence of "God".

I feel I am all alone in my beliefs and yet no one can come close to explaining to me why I am wrong.

But lets just keep it simple to start with, eh?
    What does it matter if you believe in God? How will this change your life if you do?

I suppose this is the difference between those of faith and those who are not.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 16:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    What does it matter if you believe in God? How will this change your life if you do?

Whodey, are you a practicing Muslim ?

Do you know some Forums you attend where Moslims and Christians dialogue with each other civilly ?
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 21:31
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    is there someone, a philosopher or theist maybe who has more clearly articulated the concept of god that you believe in?
    Yes, many.
    But most of our communication is non verbal.
    There are many levels of understanding, but full understanding doesn't require words. Although I believe it doesn't hurt to try, as I have done on a few occasions
    If I had to throw out a name I would go with Aldous Huxley. The Zen poets have also been a huge influence on my early development
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 21:341 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    It sounds you are drawn toward Apophatic theology. Edit: Although not completely, as no outside definition can be expected to hit the mark as to what is internal. It seems paradoxical to think that words for what is inside such an approach, can fully apply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophatic_theology

[quote]In brief, negative theology is an attempt t tudinal content, where one's choice of attitude is not subject to proofs and argumentation.
    Indeed.
    I would like to find the easiest way possible - like water. I dont want words to become a hinderance, as useful as they are.

As for "Truth" all I know is what is true for me. And even though we are all said to be made of the same stuff (quantum, buddhism 🙂 ), I would never try to put my "truth" onto another because I may know something they dont.
    I look forward to a world we we are all masters and there are no students any more
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 21:39

I have made many choices related to my beliefs. Many of them detremantal to my Earthly life.
    It matters a great deal if I believe in "God" or not. I'm sure I would not be here, I would look different etc. I would be a completely different person
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 21:511 edit
    Reason I started this thread is because an elderly man asked me a few days ago whether I believed in God. I told him that I was not a christian. He said "Yes, but in general, you do believe in something more, like a god like principle". (not the exact words but that sort of meaning).

To communicate with him as best as possible I said "Yes". This thread is now somehow trying to put into a few words that "belief", because , as Voidspirit, I dont feel the need to believe in anything. It's just another useful word ,like "god".
  7. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 22:03
    Point blank question: Do you believe in "God" (with a big "g" ) in any way shape or form?

I do, but my concepts of "God" do not seem to coincide with any other posters here except maybe a few who seem to deny the existence of "God".

I feel I am all alone in my beliefs and yet no one can come close to explaining to me why I am wrong.

But lets just keep it simple to start with, eh?
    The only intellectually honest stance is, in my view, to be agnostic about God. Since, again in my view, there has never been any overwhelming evidence to support his existence, (i am an evoltionary) the only sincere position is one of disbelief with the proviso that if he were to suddenly revel himself then I would be open to belief.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 22:54
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    The only intellectually honest stance is, in my view, to be agnostic about God. Since, again in my view, there has never been any overwhelming evidence to support his existence, (i am an evoltionary) the only sincere position is one of disbelief with the proviso that if he were to suddenly revel himself then I would be open to belief.
    I am also evolutionary 🙂

I believe some of "God" has been revealed to me. Most people just think I'm tripping. Thats ok. Better to have tried and failed.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 23:101 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Whodey, are you a practicing Muslim ?

Do you know some Forums you attend where Moslims and Christians dialogue with each other civilly ?
    Those practicing Muslims are practicing their faith. Personally I view it to be a faith that is misplaced, but they try to walk the walk nonetheless.

My only point here is that those who believe in something and do nothing with their believe are no different than those who do not beleive.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '12 23:12
    I am also evolutionary 🙂

I believe some of "God" has been revealed to me. Most people just think I'm tripping. Thats ok. Better to have tried and failed.
    Add Christ and you become a "R"evolutionary. 😵
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Jul '12 00:44
    A member of the French Academy of Sciences stated: “Natural order was not invented by the human mind or set up by certain perceptive powers. . . . The existence of order presupposes the existence of organizing intelligence. Such intelligence can be none other than God’s.”—Dieu existe? Oui (Paris, 1979), Christian Chabanis, quoting Pierre-Paul Grassé, p. 94.

New Scientist magazine said: “The lay view persists—of scientists having ‘disproved’ religion. It is a view that commonly expects scientists to be nonbelievers; that Darwin put the last nails in God’s coffin; and that a succession of scientific and technological innovations since have ruled out the possibility of any resurrection. It is a view that is wildly wrong.”—May 26, 1977, p. 478.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Jul '12 01:39
    Add Christ and you become a "R"evolutionary. 😵
    He's already there ,somewhere, doing his hardcore penance.
  13. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    20 Jul '12 07:36
    I believe some of "God" has been revealed to me.
    Would you expand on this, please.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Jul '12 08:08
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Would you expand on this, please.
    No, not really.

Just remember it is not an Abrahamic god or any other sort of god separate from creation.
    What would I tell you anyway?
    Dont you guys dream? Sheesh.

Then again maybe I'm being a little insensisitve here.
    What do you reckon , Pianoman?
    Do you think I could put the ineffible succinctly into words?
  15. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    20 Jul '12 09:00
    No, not really.

Just remember it is not an Abrahamic god or any other sort of god separate from creation.
    What would I tell you anyway?
    Dont you guys dream? Sheesh.

Then again maybe I'm being a little insensisitve here.
    What do you reckon , Pianoman?
    Do you think I could put the ineffible succinctly into words?
    God, like music, is, of course, beyond the humble word. 
    As soon as we begin to describe God, we lose him.
    I could say God is the reflection of the moon on a still lake.
    I would be wrong, but also right..
    I could say God is the sussuration of a butterfly's wings at sunset.
    I would be wrong, but also right.
    I could say God is all around and in and out and up and down and through and through.
    I would be wrong, but also right.
    That's the problem with words. They limit, imprison, judge, mislead.

An old silent pond... 
    A frog jumps into the pond, 
    splash! Silence again. 

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree