1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 05:52
    Originally posted by menace71
    Simple answer: yes

I just can't believe that the totality of everything just came into being without something or someone outside of this existence

Manny
    Who requires that belief of you?
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 16:182 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    Who requires that belief of you?
    Only some atheists who want us to believe the universe created itself. But then they realize how foolish the thought is and grin at us that they would NEVER suggest such a thing. Perish the thought !

There's a few of them out there.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 16:26
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Only some atheists who want us to believe the universe created itself. But then they realize how foolish the thought is and grin at us that they would NEVER suggest such a thing. Perish the thought !

I've never heard anybody claim that the universe created itself. Nice strawman.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 16:35
    Originally posted by jaywill

Well then Menace (if you speak accurately for him) can readily reject the atheists position and can lack belief in God without having to believe that everything came from nothing or created itself. In fact there are scholarly articles on pre-Big Bang physics starting to be published, so these atheists preaching such things are a bit out of touch, aren't they?

(I am using words that reflect how he said it, rather than words that reflect how you said it.)

I think there are other reasons that many theists do not want to reject belief in God, so I am not at this time sure that you are accurately or fully representing Menace's issues. To their thinking, a universe without God lacks meaning, and a universe without God lacks a moral foundation. I personally see these to be more important issues for the theist than whether a universe without God lacks an explanation of its origin.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Aug '12 10:08
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Your idea that "nothing created the universe" is just as stupid. 😏
  6. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    02 Aug '12 06:05
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Your idea that "nothing created the universe" is just as stupid. 🙄
    whose idea is that? we humans don't know what created the universe or how the universe was created. we are working on answering those questions and many more.

your religion has nothing to offer concerning those questions; no evidence, no theory. just bat guano crazy stories collected from various mythologies and bandaged together to form an incoherent fairy tale.
  7. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    02 Aug '12 06:31
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    he's referring to the rational discourse; in reply the fiat declaration that god created the universe and that god is a special exception that has always existed; the rational response to that nonsense is to counter with taking god out of the equation and stating that the universe has always existed.

this argument is not meant to be taken seriously, it's only meant to reveal the absurdity of the theological argument, and that it does adequately so that we can back to unraveling the real secrets of the universe while the theologists trip over themselves attempting to comprehend the context of that argument.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '12 12:01
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Point blank question: Do you believe in "God" (with a big "g" ) in any way shape or form?

I do, but my concepts of "God" do not seem to coincide with any other posters here except maybe a few who seem to deny the existence of "God".

I feel I am all alone in my beliefs and yet no one can come close to explaining to me why I am wrong.

But lets just keep it simple to start with, eh?
    All I can tell you is that He is right behind ya.............made ya look!! It seems that I failed to mention that you can't see him either. 😛
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 21:41
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    whose idea is that? we humans don't know what created the universe or how the universe was created. we are working on answering those questions and many more.

your religion has nothing to offer concerning those questions; no evidence, no theory. just bat guano crazy stories collected from various mythologies and bandaged together to form an incoherent fairy tale.
    Some of us know that the universe was created by a supreme being we call God and He created everything in it in 6 days. All it takes to know this is the power of belief and faith. It is all very simple and there is no need to work on this question anymore.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 22:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    All I can tell you is that He is right behind ya.............made ya look!! It seems that I failed to mention that you can't see him either. 😛
    Is this like a peripheral vision thing ?
  11. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 23:57
    Some of us know that the universe was created by a supreme being we call God and He created everything in it in 6 days. All it takes to know this is the power of belief and faith. It is all very simple and there is no need to work on this question anymore.

i don't accept that you know anything of the sort. if you do know it, you must be able to demonstrate your knowledge. so far you've demonstrated the opposite; you've failed on biblical knowledge and you've failed on historical knowledge.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 12:31
    i don't accept that you know anything of the sort. if you do know it, you must be able to demonstrate your knowledge. so far you've demonstrated the opposite; you've failed on biblical knowledge and you've failed on historical knowledge.
    I am not obliged to pass your tests. Christ is the only one that will judge whether or not we pass the only test that counts. I predict you will fail the test of life, if you keep on your present course.
  13. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 17:16
    I am not obliged to pass your tests. Christ is the only one that will judge whether or not we pass the only test that counts. I predict you will fail the test of life, if you keep on your present course.
    you've already failed my tests. i doubt christ will be judging anyone. he has not demonstrated any ability to be a judge. all he has managed to demonstrated is that he is a failure, like yourself.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Aug '12 14:06
    you've already failed my tests. i doubt christ will be judging anyone. he has not demonstrated any ability to be a judge. all he has managed to demonstrated is that he is a failure, like yourself.
    Like I said, your test is worthless and counts for nothing. The Holy Bible says the Son of God is the judging authority over man.
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    08 Aug '12 23:27
    Like I said, your test is worthless and counts for nothing. The Holy Bible says the Son of God is the judging authority over man.
    actually my tests demonstrate the state of reality. all your bible demonstrates is fictitious nonsense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree