1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 May '14 20:454 edits
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    If I go to the Sahara and observe 100 days without clouds or rain then the weather will have been
    perfectly sunny.

However it is not perfectly sunny by definition, because there is nothing inherent about the Sahara
    that guarantees that there will never be any rain. In fact given long enough rain is certain.

Perfect sunniness is not an inherent ...[text shortened]... robability of 1.
    Yours will be perfectly rational with a probability of 0+e as e tends to zero.
    So if god is infinite, then the probability of god always being perfectly rational in your scheme is infinitesimal.

Fascinating.

This is the definition of "always" that I was using in my "scheme":
    al·ways
    adverb \ˈȯl-wēz, -wəz, -(&#716😉wāz also ˈȯ-\
    1:  at all times :  invariably

Pasted from <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/always>

What definition did you have in mind?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    07 May '14 21:38
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]So if god is infinite, then the probability of god always being perfectly rational in your scheme is infinitesimal.

Fascinating.

This is the definition of "always" that I was using in my "scheme":
    al·ways
    adverb \&#712;o&#775;l-w&#275;z, -w&#601;z, -(&#716😉w&#257;z also &#712;o&#775;-\
    1:  at all times :  invariably

Past ...[text shortened]... //www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/always>

What definition did you have in mind?[/b]
    Presumably, he has the same definition in mind, or something identical for all intents and purposes.

Your (2) only claims that "God always chooses to be perfectly rational". So, thanks, but I think we are all already clear that this translates to something like "God invariably, or at all times, chooses to be perfectly rational". But this, taken at face value and coupled with your (1), does not entail that God is always perfectly rational. In fact, as it regards the sort of freedom at issue and with the further supposition of long enough time scale, googlefudge's argument appears at first glance correct to me. Your (1) and (2) would seem to entail that the probability that such a God actually is always perfectly rational is vanishingly small. Try actually addressing the argument.

I think you can maybe get out of this conclusion upon deeper scrutiny...perhaps by showing that although the conception of freedom at issue entails that, for any given choice, there is some possibility that God does otherwise, that does not translate into "there must be a non-zero probability that any given choice god makes will not be perfectly rational" as googlefudge claims. However, this does not yet seem too promising to me...perhaps you would need to import in the additional assumption that God is omnipotent, such that there may be zero probability that He would fail to successfully bring about the object of His intention, whenever He acts.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 May '14 21:40
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Damn I enjoyed reading that... nicely done googlefudge :]
    Thankyou.

My posts infrequently have the clarity I intend, and it's nice when one
    actually comes together the way it sounds in my head.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 May '14 22:371 edit
    The problem with the argument is set out in the second premise of the first part, rendering all that follows moot.
    Namely:
    (2) God is, by definition, perfectly rational.

"Rational" infers a conformity to something; in order to be considered rational one must submit one's thoughts and actions to a standard which is outside one's self and not be found wanting.

This is a poor and unsupported description of God, a claim more like a castle in the air than anything substantive.
    It sounds good: who would dare call God irrational--- other than God Himself, of course?

When God is described in the Bible, He is called Truth.
    Love.
    Righteousness.
    Faithful.
    Light.

He is love.
    It isn't that He loves (which He does), but He actually embodies it--- and the same with the rest of the attributes: He doesn't conform to a measure or standard of a characteristic, He is that characteristic.

Put another way, if you were to conjecture that God is reasonable without saying He is Reason, the subjectivity of the author's reasonable mightily sways the statement.

The rest of the argument also fails on the following grounds.
    It imagines that God could be something other that what He is.
    Unlike man--- who is subject to the vagaries of heat, cold and deprivation--- God is subject to but one thing: His own integrity of character.

He cannot choose to deviate from His own character like man can and does.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    07 May '14 22:44
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The problem with the argument is set out in the second premise of the first part, rendering all that follows moot.
    Namely:
    (2) God is, by definition, perfectly rational.

"Rational" infers a conformity to something; in order to be considered rational one must submit one's thoughts and actions to a standard which is outside ...[text shortened]... grity of character.

If you reject premise (2) on those grounds, then fine. But, I think we have already discussed that if you deny that there is anything external to God that constrains His mental issuances and attitudes, etc, then you will be left facing some Euthyphro-like dilemma. If you're cool with that, then so be it.

The rest of the argument also fails on the following grounds.
    It imagines that God could be something other that what He is.

I do not understand this objection.

These kinds of considerations only go toward supporting the argument.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 May '14 22:45
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    This was the premise provided:
    God is, by definition, perfectly rational.

This is what I wrote:
    As an example consider the following conception of God:
    1) God has free will.
    2) God [b]always chooses
    to be "perfectly rational".

A person with this conception of God could rightly define God as "perfectly rational".

Are you ...[text shortened]... that a person with that conception of God could not rightly define God as "perfectly rational"?[/b]
    No, I am claiming that definitions given in argument must be taken as they are. What you are doing is writing in your own premises instead of working with the ones in the argument.

Also, restating the conclusion of an argument as a premise is out-of-bounds.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 May '14 00:45
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    If you reject premise (2) on those grounds, then fine. But, I think we have already discussed that if you deny that there is anything external to God that constrains His mental issuances and attitudes, etc, then you will be left facing some Euthyphro-like dilemma. If you're cool with that, then so be it.

The rest of the argument also fails on ...[text shortened]... n can and does.

These kinds of considerations only go toward supporting the argument.
    If you're cool with that, then so be it.
    As stated, I see God's attributes as the only thing which "contains" His behavior.

God cannot be not God.
    According to your scenario, He must be able to both God as well as be not God: able to choose to (for instance) lie and not lie.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 May '14 07:54
    [b]If you're cool with that, then so be it.
    As stated, I see God's attributes as the only thing which "contains" His behavior.

God cannot be not God.
    According to your scenario, He must be able to both God as well as be not God: able to choose to (for instance) lie and not lie.[/b]
    That was why I complained, you cannot take away every choice than talk about
    a choice that isn't there.
    Kelly
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 May '14 21:431 edit
    [b]If you're cool with that, then so be it.

God cannot be not God.
    According to your scenario, He must be able to both God as well as be not God: able to choose to (for instance) lie and not lie.[/b]
    According to your scenario, He must be able to both God as well as be not God

Sorry, but I do not see any place where this is implied by the argument, even upon careful reading. You'll need to flesh it out a bit further if you want me to take this seriously.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 May '14 21:44
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    That was why I complained, you cannot take away every choice than talk about
    a choice that isn't there.
    Kelly
    I have already addressed your complaints and objections, as I understood them, in some detail. Please feel free to respond in substance to those points of mine.

If your complaint here is the same as what Freaky just made, then as I already told him above, I do not understand the complaint. You guys will need to elaborate.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 May '14 22:49
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I have already addressed your complaints and objections, as I understood them, in some detail. Please feel free to respond in substance to those points of mine.

If your complaint here is the same as what Freaky just made, then as I already told him above, I do not understand the complaint. You guys will need to elaborate.
    I don't see how you can miss it, but okay. God is God, He is true to His nature.
    He does not change, He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
    If the right thing to do is pick A and its wrong to pick B, than it isn't a choice
    for God A will be picked, that does not mean He isn't free, it means He is true.
    Kelly
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 May '14 22:58
    I don't see how you can miss it, but okay. God is God, He is true to His nature.
    He does not change, He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
    If the right thing to do is pick A and its wrong to pick B, than it isn't a choice
    for God A will be picked, that does not mean He isn't free, it means He is true.
    Kelly
    Actually what you have said does in fact mean that god is not free in the
    libertarian, incompatibilist sense.

If god is fixed by his nature, and that dictates his actions such that he is
    forced to pick a particular option in a given set of circumstances then god
    could not have chosen other and thus is not free.

It doesn't matter what is causing god not to be able to chose other, as long
    as something prevents the choice other then god is not free.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 May '14 02:14
    Actually what you have said does in fact mean that god is not free in the
    libertarian, incompatibilist sense.

If god is fixed by his nature, and that dictates his actions such that he is
    forced to pick a particular option in a given set of circumstances then god
    could not have chosen other and thus is not free.

It doesn't matter what is causi ...[text shortened]... o be able to chose other, as long
    as something prevents the choice other then god is not free.
    I see no issue with that, an honest man will be honest and will not steal even
    if he can get away with it. He is free to steal, but being honest he will not.
    He is what he is. You cannot have an honest man who steals.
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 May '14 08:42
    I see no issue with that, an honest man will be honest and will not steal even
    if he can get away with it. He is free to steal, but being honest he will not.
    He is what he is. You cannot have an honest man who steals.
    Kelly
    Ok, so you agree that god cannot be perfectly rational and have libertarian free will.

Also, you believe god is bound by his unchanging essential nature which means that
    the god you believe in cannot have libertarian free will.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 May '14 08:48
    Ok, so you agree that god cannot be perfectly rational and have libertarian free will.

Also, you believe god is bound by his unchanging essential nature which means that
    the god you believe in cannot have libertarian free will.
    I believe God is who He is, and will always remain that way.
    Perfectly rational, with a libertarian free will are not two ways I have ever
    described God, or seen in scripture. I don't think of Him as tall or short either.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree