1. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '13 23:311 edit
    God required the ancient Israelites, and later the first-century Christians, to congregate for worship. (Leviticus 23:2, 4; Hebrews 10:24, 25) Those occasions for organized worship included singing, readings from the Scriptures, and public prayer. (Nehemiah 8:1-8; Colossians 3:16) The Scriptures also prescribed that a qualified body of men lead the congregation in worship.—1 Timothy 3:1-10.

Based on these Scriptural patterns, it is reasonable to conclude that today, too, God would expect his friends to worship him in an organized fashion. And there are benefits from worshipping God as part of a congregation.

For instance, the Scriptures liken the genuine worshipper to one who is traveling over a cramped road; and in another instance, to a runner in a race. (Matthew 7:14; 1 Corinthians 9:24-27) When running a long, hard race over difficult terrain, a runner may easily tire out and eventually give out. However, a runner can often push himself beyond his personal threshold if he has encouragement from others. Likewise, a spiritually-minded person can successfully maintain his relationship with God despite adversities if he has encouragement from other worshippers.

This explains the words at Hebrews 10:24, 25, where the Bible says: “Let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together.” In fact, the Scriptures state that true worshippers would render worship as brothers and sisters, united as a figurative body.

The Bible describes that body, or congregation, as being united by a bond of love and peace. For instance, Ephesians 4:2, 3 admonishes true worshippers to act “with complete lowliness of mind and mildness, with long-suffering, putting up with one another in love, earnestly endeavoring to observe the oneness of the spirit in the uniting bond of peace.” How could you comply with this admonition if your worship were independent and detached from other worshippers?

It is God’s will that instead of being a loose association of spiritually-minded individuals, true worshippers merge into a tight community of faith. The Bible exhorts worshippers to speak in agreement, to avoid divisions, and to be “fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.” (1 Corinthians 1:10) Those words would make little sense if God wanted people to worship him only as individuals apart from one another.

Clearly, evidence from the Bible points to an organized form of worship as the kind that is acceptable to God. And the organized religion that the Scriptures describe, the one that God sponsors, can give you the support you require to be successful in satisfying your spiritual needs.—Matthew 5:3.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 02:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    God required the ancient Israelites, and later the first-century Christians, to congregate for worship. (Leviticus 23:2, 4; Hebrews 10:24, 25) Those occasions for organized worship included singing, readings from the Scriptures, and public prayer. (Nehemiah 8:1-8; Colossians 3:16) The Scriptures also prescribed that a qualified body of men lead the c ...[text shortened]... ve you the support you require to be successful in satisfying your spiritual needs.—Matthew 5:3.
    Good stuff Robbie.

Also the scriptures tell us to "not forsake the gathering of ourselves as most have the custom to do".

This has two points to it. First this is God telling us what to do and this is for our spiritual benifit. We need to be where we can be taught the Bible and even the more so as the "light get's brighter and brighter" with new knowledge of what God is doing and enlightening us with these new things.

Secondly this scripture tells us it is the "custom" is that most will be doing spiritually and that is not doing much. The Bible says that many will "become lovers of pleasures rather then lovers of God".

A Christian cannot ignor these scriptures and it cleary shows an organised effort has to be in affect for these scriptures to apply.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 12:233 edits
    bump for divesgeester

you state that it is not a requirement that one belongs to a religious organisation, you will now state how the following are possible,

1. How is it possible to incite others to love and fine works if you are detached and independent of others (Hebrews 10:24, 25)

2. How could you comply with this admonition (Ephesians 4:2,3) if your worship were independent and detached from other worshippers?

3. How could you comply with the admonition at (1 Corinthians 1:10) if God wanted people to worship him only as individuals apart from one another.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 16:28
    I say "Let's put the 'Z' back in 'organization'!!"
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 18:20

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 18:34
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And when are the British going to learn how to pronounce aluminum and garage correctly?

The Instructor
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 18:343 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I say this would never have happened if Washington hadn't crossed the Delaware.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 20:04
    oh dear can divegeester not bring himself to answer some simple questions, ironic really considering his insistence that others do so when he asks them, never the less the thread remains as a testimony to his error and will be produced every time that he makes the false assertion that one does not need to belong to an organisation.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 20:18
    oh dear can divegeester not bring himself to answer some simple questions, ironic really considering his insistence that others do so when he asks them, never the less the thread remains as a testimony to his error and will be produced every time that he makes the false assertion that one does not need to belong to an organisation.
    You spelt my name wrong and being the pedant that you are, I thought I'd indulge you in it a little.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 20:24
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You spelt my name wrong and being the pedant that you are, I thought I'd indulge you in it a little.
    No, I'm not letting him into our ranks....he doesn't even capitalize his sentences! Sorry, but we do have standards.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 20:28
    just answer the questions laughing boy.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 20:30
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    No, I'm not letting him into our ranks....he doesn't even capitalize his sentences! Sorry, but we do have standards.
    its from the time i was learning pascal at college, i still use_underlines extensively and type with one finger.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 20:301 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Lower case D is fine and quite accurate in the original PAWN, it was the deliberate and malicious mistranslation "divesgeester" which is where the error creeps in. Nowhere in the original PAWN is the name divegeester spelt with a pluarality of dives - the dive is ONE dive and any other version is frankly the work of grayskull.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 20:39
    its from the time i was learning pascal at college, i still use_underlines extensively and type with one finger.
    Just one? 😲 No wonder your posts aren't as long as jaywill's.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Jun '13 20:41
    Lower case D is fine and quite accurate in the original PAWN, it was the deliberate and malicious mistranslation "divesgeester" which is where the error creeps in. Nowhere in the original PAWN is the name divegeester spelt with a pluarality of dives - the dive is ONE dive and any other version is frankly the work of grayskull.
    Good point...that was a shocking endorsement of Polydiverism from a non-Trinitarian!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree