1. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 17:50
    Originally posted by Palynka
    But therein lies the flaw of your reasoning. Since the universe is not a conscious entity then it also follows that it's absence of perspective on good and evil is not a good determinant whether good and evil are purely human constructs.
    I think you've misunderstood what I meant by the perspective of the universe. All I meant is to take a wider view, or to take in the bigger picture so to speak. Not what the universe might think about something.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 18:341 edit
    Originally posted by Beltaine
    I think you've misunderstood what I meant by the perspective of the universe. All I meant is to take a wider view, or to take in the bigger picture so to speak. Not what the universe might think about something.
    You still need a referent or the "bigger picture" is unidentified. If the only referent you have is man, or at most, mankind then the perspective of mankind is the bigger picture.
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 18:47
    Originally posted by Palynka
    You still need a referent or the "bigger picture" is unidentified. If the only referent you have is man, or at most, mankind then the perspective of mankind [b]is the bigger picture.[/b]
    I'm afraid you've lost me there. 😕
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 19:22
    Because the universe doesn't care if humans live or die, or a rock if it gets broken in two. Human beings superimpose their artificial judgements on what happens in the world, when in actual fact nothing ultimately matters. To say that good and evil exist outside of human beings (the universal perspective, given our insignificance) would require rocks to ha ...[text shortened]... e thoughts and feelings and for them to care about what happened to themselves and other rocks.
    ===============================
    Human beings superimpose their artificial judgements on what happens in the world,
    ======================================

Wouldn't that mean that you also are superimposing your artificial judgments on what happens also?

You say humans concoct "good" and "evil" according to which will help them survive. According to your own logic isn't that your artificial construct superimposed on what happens?
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 19:55
    No I'm not - I merely used rocks to make a simple point. Let's not get hung up on rocks. ;o)
    Well you must then mean that the universe (excluding our planet) is void of any consciousness or any sense of order. So again, how do you know this?
  6. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 20:59
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Well you must then mean that the universe (excluding our planet) is void of any consciousness or any sense of order. So again, how do you know this?
    I know it in the same way I know there's no chocolate teapot in orbit around Pluto - not impossible, but unlikely enough so that it can be ruled out completely.
  7. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 21:02
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]===============================
    Human beings superimpose their artificial judgements on what happens in the world,
    ======================================

Wouldn't that mean that you also are superimposing your artificial judgments on what happens also?

You say humans concoct "good" and "evil" according to which will help them survive. Acc ...[text shortened]... rding to your own logic isn't that your artificial construct superimposed on what happens?[/b]
    Well, I'm human, so I can be expected to superimpose my own artificialy constructed concepts on the world, however, in the context of this debate I don't think I've made any judgements concerning what is good or evil.
  8. At the Revolution
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 21:31
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    No, it's void of any sentient life when you're around.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 07:32
    I'm afraid you've lost me there. 😕
    Can you define what you mean by "bigger picture"?
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    09 Aug '08 07:50
    Good and evil do not exist from the perspective of the universe as a whole, but are instead artificial constructs of the human mind based on how things affect our ability to survive as a species.

What does everyone else think?
    Even if you can make sense of "the perspective of the universe" (and you might want to see Nagel's "The View from Nowhere" about this), why would ethics as a human construction be artificial? Why would it be any less important for being a construct?
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 17:34
    Then you believe in evoultion?
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 00:01
    i agree:good and bad are constructs.However I dont know if its good or bad to survive. Maybe'desirable'
  13. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 20:18
    Well you shouldn't commit suicide.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree