1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 15:57
    Originally posted by @sonship
    [b] "And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, ..." (See First Thessalonians 1:5,6)

Referenced in my third post in this thread.[/b]
    It was not an example of "following" on page 3 and it still isn't now.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 23:501 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    It was not an example of "following" on page 3 and it still isn't now.
    Yes it was.

Both the exhortation to the Thessalonians (First Thess. 1:6) , which some translations say "followers"

King James 2000 Bible
    And you became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Spirit:

American King James Version
    And you became followers of us, and of the Lord, ...

Douay-Rheims Bible
    And you became followers of us, and of the Lord;

Webster's Bible Translation
    And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, ...

And one version says a "pattern" was followed.

Weymouth New Testament
    And you followed the pattern set you by us and by the Master, after you had received the Message amid severe persecution, and yet with the joy which the Holy Spirit gives,

Jesus followed God and His predecessor John the Baptist.
    He took off from that point to speak new things though.
    The "dove tail" following was divine and deliberate.

Their fellowship was also obvious - (Matt. 3:13-17; John 1:19-28; 3:22-30)
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '17 23:592 edits
    Yes it was.

Both the exhortation to the Thessalonians [b](First Thess. 1:6)
    , which some translations say "followers"

[quote] King James 2000 Bible
    And you became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Spirit:

American King James Version
    And you bec ...[text shortened]... berate.

Their fellowship was also obvious - (Matt. 3:13-17; John 1:19-28; 3:22-30) [/b]
    I concede that you have found a scripture which supports your claim. And I maintain that following other Christians is not a good idea and not unilaterally endorsed in scripture. In fact there is a scripture which talks about divisions and some going after Paul and another after Peter.(or maybe another name).
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 00:131 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I concede that you have found a scripture which supports your claim. And I maintain that following other Christians is not a good idea and not unilaterally endorsed in scripture. In fact there is a scripture which talks about divisions and some going after Paul and another after Peter.(or maybe another name).
    That was discouraged, the local church pitting one apostle against the other.
    That was not encouraged but discouraged.

In the meantime, Peter followed Jesus at the command of Jesus.
    And Peter turned around and noticed that another disciple was also following.
    All the disciples were also in fellowship.

" ... and He [Jesus] said to him [Peter] Follow Me.

Peter, turning around saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, ... Jesus said to him
    [again] You follow Me." See (John 21:20,21)
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 01:02
    Followers of us would be plural would it not?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 04:21
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Followers of us would be plural would it not?
    Yes.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 07:562 edits
    That was discouraged, the local church pitting one apostle against the other.
    That was not encouraged but discouraged.

In the meantime, Peter followed Jesus at the command of Jesus.
    And Peter turned around and noticed that another disciple was also following.
    All the disciples were also in fellowship.

[b] " ... and He [Jesus] said to hi ...[text shortened]... owing, ... Jesus said to him [again] You follow Me." See (John 21:20,21)
    [/b]
    I think you are over-baking this sonship.

Yes the 12 disciples followed Jesus
    Yes we follow Jesus
    Yes there is one scripture you've managed to find indicating that at one point one early formative Christian group followed the apostles - hardly a typification of contemporary followership though
    Yes modern Christian leaders by definition have followers - but most in corporate christianity are, in my opinion, self-serving vain egotists who I wouldn't follow to the shops
    Yes fellowship with other Christians is good.

I just feel that you use these frilly topics to boost your profile here as a well read Christian, and you invariably draw the wrong conclusions; I think this happens because its all "head" knowledge you've poached elsewhere and not spirit led. I'm sorry if that's harsh but it is how I see it and I happy for you to reciprocate...harshly if you like 🙂
  8. Phoenix
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 09:162 edits
    Then why do the Jewish people believe they are the 'chosen ones'? Because it was written in the old testament that Moses and his people are held in a higher regard than any other? That doesn't sound like a 'loving', and 'just' Deity to me. More like the 'jealous' and 'vengeful' God that He bragged about being in the old testament, (isn't selfish pride one of the 7 deadly sins)?
    His rules/laws don't apply to Himself, otherwise He would be shown as NOT the infallible God we are told that He must be.
    "Abraham, I'm tired of sheep and goats, sacrifice your firstborn to me. That's how you can prove your devotion, dedication and desire for me, the 3-D's will set you free". (I'm paraphrasing). To show God is reasonable and can now trust Abraham to spread His word, the bible continues to say that God 'stopped' Abe from doing this only when it became clear that premeditated murder, of YOUR OWN SON, is the benchmark of devotion to Him.
    Either a joke to His angels that got out of hand. Or He has a twisted and morbid sense of humor.
    Kinda got off topic there, but my point is this; just because you read a line from a story, that was written a long time ago, and you repeat it as truth- doesn't make it true.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '17 10:33
    Originally posted by @knightinwhitesatin
    Then why do the Jewish people believe they are the 'chosen ones'? Because it was written in the old testament that Moses and his people are held in a higher regard than any other? That doesn't sound like a 'loving', and 'just' Deity to me. More like the 'jealous' and 'vengeful' God that He bragged about being in the old testament, (isn't selfish ...[text shortened]... rom a story, that was written a long time ago, and you repeat it as truth- doesn't make it true.
    Nor does your distaste for it make it untrue.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Sep '17 12:283 edits
    Originally posted by @knightinwhitesatin
    , but my point is this; just because you read a line from a story, that was written a long time ago, and you repeat it as truth- doesn't make it true.

And just because your reading of a Bible story leads to your dislike of it, doesn't mean it is not true.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree