1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 01:14
    lets work this a bit.
    Good works to me means working on my brain opening channels gaining practical life knowledge as well as things like serving at soup kitchens and helping old ladies across roads, etc. Catch me?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 01:16
    learning through ever situation. there's always a lesson in everything and its a good work for your soul to recognize false evidence.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 06:04
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    lets work this a bit.
    Good works to me means working on my brain opening channels gaining practical life knowledge as well as things like serving at soup kitchens and helping old ladies across roads, etc. Catch me?
    I'd say "good works" could be loosely defined as any deliberate or calculated action or behaviour that has a morally sound and positive impact on one's human environment, regardless of whether one stands to gain personally from bringing about that outcome.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 06:14
    Good works, I think, would be reserved to explicitly prosocial and positive behavior in line with the christian mode of life. Of course, it does include the assistance and aid to the poor, that's very important.

But you must not forget prayer and tithing to the Church.

If you define good works as only things not directly relevant to God and take Him out of the picture, that is a bad work.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 06:30
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Good works, I think, would be reserved to explicitly prosocial and positive behavior in line with the christian mode of life.
    "Good works' are very evident in the Islamic, Hindu and atheistic human environments I have experience of. I don't think they have to be "in line with the Christian mode of life". Indeed, 'good works' are a huge part of Islamic life and thinking.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 06:53
    lets work this a bit.
    pass the bong bro
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 06:58
    Originally posted by @fmf
    "Good works' are very evident in the Islamic, Hindu and atheistic human environments I have experience of. I don't think they have to be "in line with the Christian mode of life". Indeed, 'good works' are a huge part of Islamic life and thinking.
    Sure.

Utterly irrelevant to the Christian conceptualization of a good work.

But yeah, GREAT contribution. GREAT stuff. Keep it up.

We really needed a clarification that other belief systems believe that doing good is good.

We would've been lost.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 07:09
    Sure.

Utterly irrelevant to the Christian conceptualization of a good work.

But yeah, GREAT contribution. GREAT stuff. Keep it up.

We really needed a clarification that other belief systems believe that doing good is good.

We would've been lost.
    You said this:

If you define good works as only things not directly relevant to [the Christian] God and take Him out of the picture, that is a bad work.

I have added the words "the Christian" to better reflect the peephole chauvinism of what you are actually saying.

"Bad works", no less. One's got to share your specific superstitions, it seems.

Yet again your outlook demonstrates itself to be prodoundly misanthropic, backed only (in your follow up post) with a brittle, clunky kind of facetiousness.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 12:10
    Good works, I think, would be reserved to explicitly prosocial and positive behavior in line with the christian mode of life. Of course, it does include the assistance and aid to the poor, that's very important.

But you must not forget prayer and tithing to the Church.

If you define good works as only things not directly relevant to God and take Him out of the picture, that is a bad work.
    You do not understand what is good works.
    Good works done to anyone is good works done to Jesus Christ.
    A life of good works and selflessness leads to the Kingdom of God
    Let me know if you want proof from the Bible of that.

Some Christians who do not understand this neither do they have what it takes to be selfless and giving will continue to ask questions to cloud this rather simple matter:
    - how many good works are required
    - what is good works
    - do good works cancel sin

If a Christian asks these things then it is clear that the light of Christ is not within them and their faith is dead.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 12:22
    I'd say "good works" could be loosely defined as any deliberate or calculated action or behaviour that has a morally sound and positive impact on one's human environment, regardless of whether one stands to gain personally from bringing about that outcome.
    Agreed. We dont look for personal reward
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 12:23
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    pass the bong bro
    Use not abuse
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 15:05
    Well thanks for that contribution, Mr. Dictionary!
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 15:07
    God looks on the heart; not “good works.”

Good works are important, yes. But they follow righteousness (being in right standing with God) and are not the cause of it.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 15:08
    lets work this a bit.
    You’re flying so high, I don’t think anyone can catch you. Be careful of the landing.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '18 15:12
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    You do not understand what is good works.
    Good works done to anyone is good works done to Jesus Christ.
    A life of good works and selflessness leads to the Kingdom of God
    Let me know if you want proof from the Bible of that.

Some Christians who do not understand this neither do they have what it takes to be selfless and giving will continue to ask que ...[text shortened]... ese things then it is clear that the light of Christ is not within them and their faith is dead.
    You can’t answer those questions because they expose your “salvation by good works” doctrine is false. So instead, you sinfully make assumptions and bear false witness against those who believe (correctly) that salvation is by faith alone and that good works are simply a manifestation, or evidence, that one’s faith in Jesus Christ is genuine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree