Great Passages From The Holy Bible

Great Passages From The Holy Bible

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Feb 22
1 edit

@moonbus said
Does it matter? That passage was used to perpetrate and sanctify horror and mass murder on a scale even the Third Reich did not match.
Yes it does matter.

And do you know how many “witches” were killed in the 1600s?

Über-Nerd

Moves
04 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
Yes it does matter.

And do you know how many “witches” were killed in the 1600s?
Why limit it to just the 1600s? The Inquisition began in the 12th c. and the last execution of the Inquisition was in Spain in 1826.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Feb 22

@moonbus said
Why limit it to just the 1600s? The Inquisition began in the 12th c. and the last execution of the Inquisition was in Spain in 1826.
Ok, use those parameters.

Do you know how many “witches” were killed?

Über-Nerd

Moves
04 Feb 22
1 edit

@pb1022 said
Ok, use those parameters.

Do you know how many “witches” were killed?
The Vatican won't release exact documentation, how many were killed (it would be bad PR if it did). However, the number of witches killed is not the crucially heinous thing about the Inquisition. The crucially heinous thing about it was that it was not merely an aberration carried out by a few rogue priests for a few years. It was the concerted policy of the Church, from the highest point in the hierarchy on down, for centuries; people were promoted up through the ranks to implement it, not only in Europe but in the New World as well. Its purpose was to extirpate paganism in general and all non-christian religionists (mostly European Jews and Muslims) and to enforce thought-control by punishing thought-crime. There are no witches; they were simply non-Christians (the 'remainers' from the pre-christian, pagan era). The Inquisition retarded civilization and the advance of science by several centuries, and that is a crime against humanity of millennial proportions.

I would remind Christians here that it was not until Pope John Paul II that Galileo was re-habilitated. Yup, it took that long for the Church to acknowledge that Galileo was right.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Feb 22

@moonbus said
The Vatican won't release exact documentation, how many were killed (it would be bad PR if it did). However, the number of witches killed is not the crucially heinous thing about the Inquisition. The crucially heinous thing about it was that it was not merely an aberration carried out by a few rogue priests for a few years. It was the concerted policy of the Church, from the ...[text shortened]... leo was re-habilitated. Yup, it took that long for the Church to acknowledge that Galileo was right.
Well, you can conflate the actions of people with Christianity, but Christianity is based on the New Testament (not the Old Testament) so unless some verse in the New Testament tells people to kill witches, I don’t think you can lay that at the feet of Christianity.

Über-Nerd

Moves
04 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
Well, you can conflate the actions of people with Christianity, but Christianity is based on the New Testament (not the Old Testament) so unless some verse in the New Testament tells people to kill witches, I don’t think you can lay that at the feet of Christianity.
I conflate the actions of people with Christianity? Ha! Christianity is what Christians say it is. And what Christians say Christianity is is this: the body of Christ in the world. In other words, Christianity is the people who call themselves Christians.

I lay at the feet of Christianity what Christians did and still do, whether or not they can find it in the NT.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Feb 22

@moonbus said
I conflate the actions of people with Christianity? Ha! Christianity is what Christians say it is. And what Christians say Christianity is is this: the body of Christ in the world. In other words, Christianity is the people who call themselves Christians.

I lay at the feet of Christianity what Christians did and still do, whether or not they can find it in the NT.
<<Christianity is what Christians say it is.>>

I disagree. Christianity is founded on the New Testament. Man is fallible. God’s Word is not.

If a pastor or priest told me something related to Christianity, I’d check the Holy Bible on what he said. I wouldn’t just believe him,

Über-Nerd

Moves
04 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
<<Christianity is what Christians say it is.>>

I disagree. Christianity is founded on the New Testament. Man is fallible. God’s Word is not.

If a pastor or priest told me something related to Christianity, I’d check the Holy Bible on what he said. I wouldn’t just believe him,
Verily, you do not understand the religion you profess. Christianity is not founded upon the NT. You've got the cart before the horse. The NT is tertiary; it was not written in Jesus' lifetime and was not canonized until the 4th c. There were Christians before the NT was written.

The primary mode whereby the Will of God is made known to man is the Holy Spirit. The secondary mode whereby the Will of God is made known to man is through Apostolic Succession. The Bible, the tertiary mode, is but a snapshot, frozen in time at the 4th c. by the Coucil of Nicea. This is not merely own personal opinion; this has been the official doctrine since the time of the Apostles.

The OP asked for great passages from the Holy Bible (not just the NT). I cited one, one which has had great and lasting consequences for Western civilization. You don't like to be reminded that Christianity has not had only beneficial effects on the course of history, but some pretty dire effects.

Now, would some Christian please answer my question: how many souls were saved by the witch burnings?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Feb 22

@moonbus said
Verily, you do not understand the religion you profess. Christianity is not founded upon the NT. You've got the cart before the horse. The NT is tertiary; it was not written in Jesus' lifetime and was not canonized until the 4th c. There were Christians before the NT was written.

The primary mode whereby the Will of God is made known to man is the Holy Spirit. The s ...[text shortened]... ow, would some Christian please answer my question: how many souls were saved by the witch burnings?
When I said Christianity was based upon the New Testament, I obviously meant Christianity was based upon events and truths documented in the New Trstament and not on a 260-chapter leather-bound book.

Can you cite a single verse from the New Testament that advises Christians to kill “witches?”

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
04 Feb 22
2 edits

@pb1022 said
When I said Christianity was based upon the New Testament, I obviously meant Christianity was based upon events and truths documented in the New Trstament and not on a 260-chapter leather-bound book.

Can you cite a single verse from the New Testament that advises Christians to kill “witches?”
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness🙁2 Timothy 3:16 KJV)

A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.(Leviticus 20:27 KJV)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Feb 22

@rajk999 said
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness🙁2 Timothy 3:16 KJV)

A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.(Leviticus 20:27 KJV)
So you think we’re living under the old covenant?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
04 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
So you think we’re living under the old covenant?
Apparently Paul thinks they were living under the old covenant, because the Septuagint and Torah [Old Testaments] were the only scriptures' in existence at that time.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Feb 22

@rajk999 said
Apparently Paul thinks they were living under the old covenant, because the Septuagint and Torah [Old Testaments] were the only scriptures' in existence at that time.
So I guess someone other than Paul wrote this:

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast.”

(Ephesians 2:8-9)

and a ton of other verses just like those.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Feb 22

@moonbus said

If all there is us and what we say and do, your right. If God is real, and Jesus is who the scriptures say, then what you say isn't all that is going on.