1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '14 03:07
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I didn't realize I had a religionist dogma.
    What is that, in your view?
    It has come out in your posts across many threads and will continue to do so, no doubt. I will tell you when I think you're spouting it.

Meanwhile, I note you have used this to dodge the main point in my response to you. Funny how that happens so often. 😀
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 May '14 03:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    It has come out in your posts across many threads and will continue to do so, no doubt. I will tell you when I think you're spouting it.

Meanwhile, I note you have used this to dodge the main point in my response to you. Funny how that happens so often. 😀
    I guess we don't share the same sense of humor.
    You asked if my view on death was a result of this mysterious "religionist dogma," so in order to answer your question, I'd have to know what you consider "religionist dogma," and work backwards from there.

I doubt you'll see a connection, though, since I am merely speaking in human terms.
    As a believer, death makes sense to me even while it carries a general sting.
    Speaking in strictly human terms, other than life, it is the most perplexing aspect of human existence known.

I can't think of anyone who gains comfort in assigning death to the realm of inexplicable; what staggers my mind is the general resignation to it.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '14 03:37
    I can't think of anyone who gains comfort in assigning death to the realm of inexplicable; what staggers my mind is the general resignation to it.
    Death is both entirely natural and inevitable. If you deem accepting these two facts to be "general resignation to it", then you haven't communicated what it means to not resign oneself to it, unless of course what you mean is telling oneself one is defying or evading death by conjuring up a notion of personal immortality, in which case that is merely a function of your religious beliefs.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '14 03:41
    Speaking in strictly human terms, other than life, it is the most perplexing aspect of human existence known.
    If you genuinely believed this, you would attempt to make a case.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 May '14 03:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    Death is both entirely natural and inevitable. If you deem accepting these two facts to be "general resignation to it", then you haven't communicated what it means to not resign oneself to it, unless of course what you mean is telling oneself one is defying or evading death by conjuring up a notion of personal immortality, in which case that is merely a function of your religious beliefs.
    Death is entirely unnatural.
    There is nothing in the body to explain decay or demise.
    Barring outside influence, a properly cared for and well-maintained body ought to last forever.
    I don't know what the answer is, honestly, from a strictly-human viewpoint.
    But I do know we talk more about taxes, politics and other aspects of life than we do death, and death is far more pervasive than all other aspects put together--- and seemingly more definitive.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 May '14 03:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you genuinely believed this, you would attempt to make a case.
    Make a case for what?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '14 03:47
    Death is entirely unnatural.
    There is nothing in the body to explain decay or demise.
    Barring outside influence, a properly cared for and well-maintained body ought to last forever.
    I'll stop thinking this is arrant nonsense just as soon as you convince me it isn't. 😉
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '14 03:51
    Make a case for what?
    Make the case that "death is the most perplexing aspect of human existence known". I don't find it perplexing and I can't remember meeting many people who did. If all you mean is that you personally find death perplexing, then fair enough, it doesn't really warrant discussion.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 May '14 04:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    Make the case that "death is the most perplexing aspect of human existence known". I don't find it perplexing and I can't remember meeting many people who did. If all you mean is that you personally find death perplexing, then fair enough, it doesn't really warrant discussion.
    Perhaps you're simply not associating with very interesting or interested people.
    Casual research on the topic will reveal that life is, indeed, a very perplexing aspect of the human experience.

The ancients held that life and death were two forces of the Great Mother--- the oneness of being, or everything.

Greeks had it as opposite forces, life perceived as feminine and death as masculine with Thanatos personifying the end.

I have a hard time believing you don't understand such a basic human inquiry about death, to the point that you don't give it a second thought... nor do any of your associates.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '14 04:00
    But I do know we talk more about taxes, politics and other aspects of life than we do death, and death is far more pervasive than all other aspects put together--- and seemingly more definitive.
    Christians, it seems to me, are talking about death when they talk about "salvation" and the "afterlife". So they talk about it all the time. Maybe people who are more tuned to the realities of the human condition, and who do not find death "perplexing" or "pervasive", do not feel the need to talk about it in the same way as they talk about aspects of life they might realistically have some influence over.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '14 04:03
    I have a hard time believing you don't understand such a basic human inquiry about death, to the point that you don't give it a second thought... nor do any of your associates.
    In which of my posts did I say I ~ or people I know ~ don't "give it a second thought"?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '14 04:04
    Casual research on the topic will reveal that life is, indeed, a very perplexing aspect of the human experience.

The ancients held that life and death were two forces of the Great Mother--- the oneness of being, or everything.

Greeks had it as opposite forces, life perceived as feminine and death as masculine with Thanatos personifying the end.

None of this establishes that "death is the most perplexing aspect of human existence known".
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 May '14 04:05
    Perhaps you're simply not associating with very interesting or interested people.
    If you think claiming that death is "is entirely unnatural" and that it is "the most perplexing aspect of human existence known" makes you "very interesting" then that is more a matter for you than it is for me.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 May '14 04:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    Christians, it seems to me, are talking about death when they talk about "salvation" and the "afterlife". So they talk about it all the time. Maybe people who are more tuned to the realities of the human condition, and who do not find death "perplexing" or "pervasive", do not feel the need to talk about it in the same way as they talk about aspects of life they might realistically have some influence over.
    Again, you're missing the point.
    Death is so pervasive and universal, it demands to be considered.
    We don't have control over so many aspects of life, yet we continue to talk about them--- knowing full well our talk is mere fantasy.

An enterprising producer of film might very well put together a cinematic work wrought entirely on the basis of popular opinion.
    He starts a website and opens it up for ideas, vowing to make a film on the framework of all ideas submitted, tabulated and averaged to create the mean.

But no one really thinks we'll ever have a government or ruling party based upon what the voting public thinks: it will always be some form or another of oligarchy and/or monarchy.

Yet we still talk as though our opinions matter, that they can wrought change... knowing they never do, never will.

But death?
    Death is a spectacle.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 May '14 04:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    In which of my posts did I say I ~ or people I know ~ don't "give it a second thought"?
    Why would you give something which you do not consider perplexing a second thought?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree