1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '14 00:52
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Death is the 300 pound gorilla/elephant in the room for each of us, regardless of age or physical condition.
    Greg was 50, I'm 50 but people die at every age.
    It--- death--- sits like a constrained and highly-trained dog with a treat on its nose, anticipating its master's release.
    We don't hold it back with our enthusiasm or even our physical vigor; we're at the mercy of the master between first breath and inevitable expiry.
    People react to the inevitability of death in different ways. Most religionists react to it by simply subscribing to notions that involve denying death is the end, and then they take comfort from telling others that they are "wasting" their lives by not subscribing to their particular notions and denials.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '14 07:521 edit
    Death is the 300 pound gorilla/elephant in the room for each of us, regardless of age or physical condition.
    Greg was 50, I'm 50 but people die at every age.
    It--- death--- sits like a constrained and highly-trained dog with a treat on its nose, anticipating its master's release.
    We don't hold it back with our enthusiasm or even our physical vigor; we're at the mercy of the master between first breath and inevitable expiry.
    My wife and I lost our first child Ramie 13 days past her first birthday.
    I HATE death, and I'm looking forward to when it gets done away with
    forever. Missing her has tempered me with the knowledge that each one
    I know is only here a short time, I don't care if its 80 years or 1 year
    and 13 days. Life is short and oh so sweet, we should worry less about
    the little things and enjoy what we have since it will not be with us long.
    Kelly
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 May '14 08:03
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    If that be the case, then perhaps all our funerals should be more like the New Orleans style with music and dancing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krJW2qMVv4M

New Orleans Traditional Jazz Band funeral procession

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pPn-Nnin2Y
    Exactly!
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '14 10:43
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    My wife and I lost our first child Ramie 13 days past her first birthday.
    I HATE death, and I'm looking forward to when it gets done away with
    forever. Missing her has tempered me with the knowledge that each one
    I know is only here a short time, I don't care if its 80 years or 1 year
    and 13 days. Life is short and oh so sweet, we should worry less about
    the little things and enjoy what we have since it will not be with us long.
    Kelly
    "Life is short and oh so sweet..." In the NT Book of James it's likened to "a fleeting vapor trail."
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '14 11:52
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Life is short and oh so sweet..." In the NT Book of James it's likened to "a fleeting vapor trail."
    The older you get the more exposed you get to death. I recall standing
    next to my dad as he was dying from a motor cycle accident. You realize
    all the stuff that passed between us, what was and was not important.
    People allow themselves to get bitter over such little stuff, or things they
    have no control over. Shame, we do that we hold grudges over such petty
    things and forget how important those around us really are.
    Kelly
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 May '14 12:55
    I am 65 and have seen my share of too many loved one's depart..As sad as death is, we rejoice in that we will be reunited in the Kingdom.
    Praise be to God!
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '14 14:00
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    The older you get the more exposed you get to death. I recall standing
    next to my dad as he was dying from a motor cycle accident. You realize
    all the stuff that passed between us, what was and was not important.
    People allow themselves to get bitter over such little stuff, or things they
    have no control over. Shame, we do that we hold grudges over such petty
    things and forget how important those around us really are.
    Kelly
    Especially for an advancing believer in Christ who understands and applies the doctrinal principal of 1 Peter 5:7.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 May '14 17:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    People react to the inevitability of death in different ways. Most religionists react to it by simply subscribing to notions that involve denying death is the end, and then they take comfort from telling others that they are "wasting" their lives by not subscribing to their particular notions and denials.
    That wasn't my point.
    I was aiming more at the seeming disconnect of our general nonchalance toward this inevitability which looms over us from our very first breath onward.
    Even in our personal grief, there is no incredulity, no insult taken: we have accepted it just as we accept life, taking both for granted.
    Even if we appreciate life and its moments, nothing can really explain death.
    If a second sun appeared in our sky overnight, even if we couldn't do anything about it, we'd want answers... and work day and night to get them.
    Were there never a resolve we would eventually settle into a general acceptance.
    Can't do anything about it, can't explain it, it just is.

But why death?
    These bodies appear able to last forever with proper care and maintenance, yet they expire as though infected by malware.
    Why death?
    And why aren't we insulted by it?
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 May '14 17:24
    That wasn't my point.
    I was aiming more at the seeming disconnect of our general nonchalance toward this inevitability which looms over us from our very first breath onward.
    Even in our personal grief, there is no incredulity, no insult taken: we have accepted it just as we accept life, taking both for granted.
    Even if we appreciate life and its moments ...[text shortened]... e, yet they expire as though infected by malware.
    Why death?
    I don't know anyone who is 'nonchalant' with regard to death.

But it makes no sense to be 'insulted' by it. It's a natural thing.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 May '14 17:33
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I don't know anyone who is 'nonchalant' with regard to death.

But it makes no sense to be 'insulted' by it. It's a natural thing.
    That may be an overstatement, but I use it in the sense of contrast.
    As you said, we see it as natural, but it truly isn't--- at least for humans, it's not.
    It's against nature; it's something we fight to the bitter end to stave off.
    If one were to believe the atheist, we've even imagined a way to mitigate its sting by viewing it as a portal instead of an end.
    To me, it qualifies as the most WTF thing known to man.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 May '14 18:101 edit
    That may be an overstatement, but I use it in the sense of contrast.
    As you said, we see it as natural, but it truly isn't--- at least for humans, it's not.
    It's against nature; it's something we fight to the bitter end to stave off.
    If one were to believe the atheist, we've even imagined a way to mitigate its sting by viewing it as a portal instead of an end.
    To me, it qualifies as the most WTF thing known to man.
    Nature is as brutal as it is beautiful. It is easy for us humans to forget - sheltered in our homes, armed with weapons to protect us, grocery stores full of food in walking distance - that "nature" is very harsh for most creatures on the earth. The rule of the day is, struggle to survive.

It is a human delusion to think that we can survive indefinitely just because we have removed many of the difficulties that once threatened our short-term survival.

I cannot speak for other atheists, but I do not think death is a 'portal' to anything or anywhere other than a coffin buried in the ground.

I lost someone close to me when my grandmother died a few years ago. She was a very caring person. She watched over everyone in the family. She always knew what people were doing in their lives. She had a collection funny or endearing stories or anecdotes about everyone in the family, which she always delighted in telling. She took me in for a year and a half when I needed a place to stay.

We were all very sad when she died. But it was also great to hear everyone at the funeral speak of her. It was more than just the usual, expected 'say a nice thing about the person who died' that happens at a funeral. It was like her very essence was still there in the memories of the many people who spoke that day. It seemed as though a person who had never met her while she lived nevertheless could have done so just by hearing all that was said that day.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '14 23:482 edits
    That wasn't my point.
    That's right. The point I made was my point. People react to the inevitability of death in different ways. I can't say I have met many people who find death "insulting", as you appear to claim you do. If it brings you comfort or helps you to cope with death to say that "nothing can really explain it" and that you are insulted by it ~ or that it's not "natural" ~ then that is your prerogative. Do these feelings you have result from your religionist dogma is some way?
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 May '14 00:01
    That wasn't my point.
    Even if we appreciate life and its moments ...[text shortened]... e, yet they expire as though infected by malware.
    Why death?
    I think is no different than water freezes at the top instead of the bottom.
    We are used to it, so we accept it. I like you feel death is wrong, it never
    should have been. Scripturally speaking I get it, but I so hate it. Life is the
    only thing that really matters, and to see it snuffed out before our eyes
    just grades against me. Being as precious as it is, it really does show us
    how wacked out people can be when they would put things above life, when
    they would put lust above life. It does protect us too, in that we did not find
    ourselves in the position that Satan and his angels found themselves in
    when they fell, we can be redeemed due to death.
    Kelly
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 May '14 02:59
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Nature is as brutal as it is beautiful. It is easy for us humans to forget - sheltered in our homes, armed with weapons to protect us, grocery stores full of food in walking distance - that "nature" is very harsh for most creatures on the earth. The rule of the day is, struggle to survive.

It is a human delusion to think that we can survive indefin ...[text shortened]... her while she lived nevertheless could have done so just by hearing all that was said that day.
    I feel it, too.
    But I still contend there is seemingly nothing about these bodies which insists on a shelf life.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 May '14 03:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    That's right. The point I made was my point. People react to the inevitability of death in different ways. I can't say I have met many people who find death "insulting", as you appear to claim you do. If it brings you comfort or helps you to cope with death to say that "nothing can really explain it" and that you are insulted by it ~ or that it's not "natural" ~ ...[text shortened]... is your prerogative. Do these feelings you have result from your religionist dogma is some way?
    I didn't realize I had a religionist dogma.
    What is that, in your view?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree