1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 11:29
    The bad news is that you are falling through the air, there is nothing to hang onto, and you have no parachute. The good news is there is no ground. Reality is groundlessness. Everything is continually in flux and destined to fade.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 12:09
    Originally posted by buckky
    The good news is there is no ground.
    Everybody dies sometime. I wouldn't call that 'fading'.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 12:33
    The bad news is that you are falling through the air, there is nothing to hang onto, and you have no parachute. The good news is there is no ground. Reality is groundlessness. Everything is continually in flux and destined to fade.
    this is some matrix philosophy stuff right there. very fun to argue but ultimately rather pointless.

you create your own reality and you tune into it. you find your own ground. and each has a ground to find. if you don't you may suffer from a mild case of insanity.
  4. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 14:311 edit
    Core Buddhism. But as with emptiness, there is a danger of leaning too much to one side . For emptiness (from which groundlessness arises or is a quality of), does not mean just "not existing".
    The fullest explanation of Sunyata is neither existing, nor not existing, (the Middle Way), like quantum phenomenon, neither existing separately nor not existing.
    As both Buddhist scholars and quantum physicists state - it is this very quality that allows the functioning of manifestation of phenomenon from sub atomic particles up. If every "thing" was a totally separated self existing thing, there would be no interaction at all, thus nothing, no manifestation. It is however impossible for such a state to be.

How does this relate to groundlessness?

Like emptiness it is neither correct to simply state there is no state of goundlessness, nor is it correct to simply say that such a state exists.
    The manifested experience of standing upon ground or having reason develop from a grounded premise cannot be denied, ie 'the experiencing of'.
    YET, because all manifestation of mind or matter is interconnected and constantly in flux, the experience of being grounded does not stand by itself alone - the very ground that we are experiencing ultimately dissolves and cannot be isolated or grasped as a thing in itself.

Why is this freeing, and good news?

What we are and what we are experiencing right now, good or ugly, imprisoned or free, healthy or ill, is NEVER the final definition or boundary.
    It and we oursleves are a passing aware Suchness, never born and never to die, free to be and experience all that flows through us - LIFE - all the living experience of birth, life and death, of joy and pain, of victory and failure, of loss and discovery. All is a floating eternal Suchness, a very real dream.

If we attach ourself to nothing, not even the concept of a "self",
    we are truly free to BE, in its fullest sense. (Temporarily attach perhaps, but not in a fixed, frantic rigid way, for that brings suffering)

Thanks for the post, buckky.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 14:37
    Sounds to me like you just confuse yourself until you think you have conquered death. Insanity can be freeing, but it is still insanity.
  6. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 14:45
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Sounds to me like you just confuse yourself until you think you have conquered death. Insanity can be freeing, but it is still insanity.
    🙄
  7. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 14:50
    I guess Siddartha Gautama was a nutcase too, eh? He's made quite an impression, for a madman.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 16:24
    Originally posted by Taoman
    I guess Siddartha Gautama was a nutcase too, eh? He's made quite an impression, for a madman.
    I wouldn't know, I don't know anything about him.
    I must say though that mad men often make big impressions (think notorious political or religious leaders), that doesn't stop them being madmen.
  9. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 16:27
    Devine wisdom ! Advahoot or crazy wisdom makes you look at things in an upside down manner. Snap out of the confinement of your ordinary mind.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 19:51
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Core Buddhism. But as with emptiness, there is a danger of leaning too much to one side . For emptiness (from which groundlessness arises or is a quality of), does not mean just "not existing".
    The fullest explanation of Sunyata is neither existing, nor not existing, (the Middle Way), like quantum phenomenon, neither existing separately nor not existing.
    ...[text shortened]... n a fixed, frantic rigid way, for that brings suffering)

Thanks for the post, buckky.
    Typical Buddhist speak; long-winded, empty and completely impenetrable.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 20:311 edit
    I must say though that mad men often make big impressions (think notorious political or religious leaders), that doesn't stop them being madmen.
    You wouldn't know ANYTHING about him. Not anything?

You may be his best student,yet😏
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Sep '11 01:10
    Everybody dies sometime. I wouldn't call that 'fading'.
    You at least know that the serpent lied to Eve. Yes, we shall surely die.
  13. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    21 Sep '11 06:12
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Typical Buddhist speak; long-winded, empty and completely impenetrable.
    As to 'longwinded'
    I usually haven't the energy for the longwinded; the post is a third of a page long,very poor runner up to some posts I myself have made, let alone others. sir.

As to 'empty'
    mmmm, you may be picking up something.

As to 'impenetrable'
    Difficult to reconcile 'empty' with 'impenetrable'.

Come on, its not that hard , 'ave a go! Its basic logic, if you put some effort in to understand the basic argument.

A simple twig does not exist as a totally separate thing;
    not separate from the tree from which it came;
    not separate from the soil of its building nutrients;
    not separate from the wind that blew it off the tree;
    not separate from the carbon atoms it is composed of;
    not separate from the original sun event from which the carbon came;
    not separate from the mental concept of a 'twig'.

Because of these conditions the twig exists in conditional relative sense, but it does not exists by itself alone, anymore than a wave- particle, the basis of all manifested existence.

To say you fail to understand this I will accept, for some have strengths in other areas, but unfortunately, until you understand what is being said, how can you then agree or disagree, form argument, or make pronouncements about it?
  14. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    21 Sep '11 07:29
    Devine wisdom ! Advahoot or crazy wisdom makes you look at things in an upside down manner. Snap out of the confinement of your ordinary mind.
    buckky,you are just great! You are well along the path. A saying in my mothertongue Marathi : The madness of Bhakti ( devotion to God ) is more effective than the dictatorial wisdom of the world-wise in solving the mysteries that we face. May I inform you that Avadhoot ( and not Advahoot as spelt by you ) is a sadhu or a seer who is not concerned about usual conventions about dress or food or living habits . More later.
  15. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    21 Sep '11 09:09
    You may not know his personal name; his honorific name otherwise is the Buddha, the Awakened One, the founder of Buddhism, and I would be surprised if you knew nothing about him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree