1. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    23 May '05 16:55
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Just more extra-Christian doctrine.
    Is there any support for this stance in Christ's words? If you answer , try and have a quote from Christ that's on point.
    Since when are Christians limited to the red letters in the Bible? If you want to argue that Christians should weight the quoted words of Christ heavier than others, start a new thread. Otherwise, this is just a red herring. Most Christian use the whole of the Bible as the means for understanding what is commanded by God, not just the the red text.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 May '05 17:331 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Two simple responses:

1. I said primary intent, not sole intent. No contradiction.
    2. The unitive purpose cannot be separated from the procreative purpose by humans. Of course, God can, as He does in the case ...[text shortened]... ally linked together means they are not two persons.

Try again.
    Answer the question I asked and I'll deal with this latest irrational sophistry; is the statement of the Archbishop of Denver authoritative Church doctrine or not? I'm not going to waste my time proving from that document (in conjunction with the other documents) my points and then have you state that it is not an "authoritative" source like you did before with the approved article I cited. So answer "Yes" or "No" rather than trying to dig up some obscure Church doctrine to discredit it after I've went to all the trouble of arguing from it.

Your responses were simple I'll say that but that's not a compliment.
  3. London
    Moves
    23 May '05 17:42
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Answer the question I asked and I'll deal with this latest irrational sophistry; is the statement of the Archbishop of Denver authoritative Church doctrine or not? I'm not going to waste my time proving from that document (in conjunction with the other documents) my points and then have you state that it is not an "authoritative" source like ...[text shortened]... rguing from it.

Oh, I thought you'd made your case. LOL

Yes, the Archbishop's views are consonant with Church teaching as they pertain to the norm; i.e. married, fertile, different-sex couples.
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    23 May '05 18:441 edit
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Since when are Christians limited to the red letters in the Bible? If you want to argue that Christians should weight the quoted words of Christ heavier than others, start a new thread. Otherwise, this is just a red herring. Most Christia ...[text shortened]... understanding what is commanded by God, not just the the red text.
    THE word of the Kingdom doesnt come from Paul

it must please Christ much to see his words called a "red herring".

If you want to be a Christian ,,,read Christ's words! If you want to be a Pauline than read Paul.

You clearly are not a christian , plain and simple: you follow Paul not Christ

5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 May '05 19:14
    Oh, I thought you'd made your case. LOL

Yes, the Archbishop's views are consonant with Church teaching as they pertain to the norm; i.e. married, fertile, different-sex couples.
    You left plenty of room to "fudge" but I'll accept that for now. I don't have time right now to go through the whole argument so I'll post later tonight.

I'll still curious how sex with the "primary intent" being the unitive "purpose" is consistent with paragraph 12 if it is done with the knowledge that procreation cannot result. How is such sex not the sole "purpose" of sex in those circumstances? I still don't think your prior statement can be logically reconciled with the Archbishop's statement.
  6. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    23 May '05 20:41
    THE word of the Kingdom doesn't come from Paul

it must please Christ much to see his words called a "red herring".

If you want to be a Christian ,,,read Christ's words! If you want to be a Pauline than read Paul.

You clearly are not a christian , plain and simple: you follow Paul not Christ

Like I said, start a new thread. Your argument is a red herring - repeating it does not remove the fishy smell. 😉

Can you change your icon into a little red fish?
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    23 May '05 21:53
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Like I said, start a new thread. Your argument is a red herring - repeating it does not remove the fishy smell. 😉

Can you change your icon into a little red fish?
    I will just repeat the same smelly ( to your obnoxious self) idea. Christs words are the word of the Kingdom anybody else speaks only for themselves.
    If you can't see the relevance to this topic being discussed I suggest you read a different thread.
  8. London
    Moves
    24 May '05 10:45
    Answer the question I asked and I'll deal with this latest irrational sophistry; is the statement of the Archbishop of Denver authoritative Church doctrine or not? I'm not going to waste my time proving from that document (in conjunction with the other documents) my points and then have you state that it is not an "authoritative" source like ...[text shortened]... rguing from it.

What is the question Archbishop Chaput is trying to answer in para 12?

"But why can't a married couple simply choose the unitive aspect of marriage and temporarily block or even permanently prevent its procreative nature?"

He is not addressing the question of intent - he is addressing the question of human action. A couple can engage in sex with the unitive aspect as the primary intent as long as they do not block the procreative aspect.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 May '05 18:07
    What is the question Archbishop Chaput is trying to answer in para 12?

"But why can't a married couple simply choose the unitive aspect of marriage and [b]temporarily block or even permanently prevent
    its procreative nature?"

He is not addressing the question of intent - he is addressing the question of human action. A couple can e ...[text shortened]... th the unitive aspect as the primary intent as long as they do not block the procreative aspect.[/b]
    Amazing; the word "choose" has nothing to do with "intent" in Lucifershammer's world.
  10. London
    Moves
    25 May '05 09:131 edit
    Amazing; the word "choose" has nothing to do with "intent" in Lucifershammer's world.
    I'm not saying they have nothing to do with each other. But intent, choice and action are not synonymous, either. A person can have intent but not translate it into action. A person can have no choice and still perform an action etc.
  11. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    25 May '05 11:101 edit
    I'm not saying they have nothing to do with each other. But intent, choice and action are not synonymous, either. A person can have intent but not translate it into action. A person can have no choice and still perform an action etc.
    There is always a choice, even if it gets down to act or not act. with the single exception of reflex which doesnt involve the conscience mind so should be excluded from any discussion of morality.

Once a choice is made the intent is present whether the act takes place or not.
  12. London
    Moves
    25 May '05 15:19
    There is always a choice, even if it gets down to act or not act. with the single exception of reflex which doesnt involve the conscience mind so should be excluded from any discussion of morality.

Once a choice is made the intent is present whether the act takes place or not.
    Huh?

Anyway, Bishop Chaput was focussing on the action rather than the intent in his letter - that's all I wanted to say.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree