Hail, Oh Infallible Science!

Hail, Oh Infallible Science!

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
27 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Excellent post. One error however; Cartesian relates to Descartes, who was French. Wasn't he?
apologies, mixing up my philosophers, whoever said it however the content still stands,
note to self pay more attention.

EDIT: oh and thankyou.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Jun 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
But the degree a scientist gets is a "Doctor of Philosophy". It's a "sophy" not an "ology".
I have a Bachelor of Science in Chemical Biology 😕

Moves
27 Jun 06

But the degree a scientist gets is a "Doctor of Philosophy". It's a "sophy" not an "ology".
only if you go to cambridge

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Jun 06

Originally posted by googlefudge
Not true. Ph.D stands for Philosophy Doctor.

Moves
27 Jun 06

true but thats a postgrad degree, cambridge is the only university I know that does M/B phil instead of M/B sci for undergrad degrees. Hangover from when science was called 'Natural Philosophy'.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
27 Jun 06

true but thats a postgrad degree, cambridge is the only university I know that does M/B phil instead of M/B sci for undergrad degrees. Hangover from when science was called 'Natural Philosophy'.
And went hand-in-hand with more occult studies...the Royal Society...even Newton studied alchemy...

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
27 Jun 06

Originally posted by whodey
I do celebrate science. The difference between you and I, however, is that I give God the credit and you don't.
Are you also willing to give God the credit for creating smallpox, which killed many people before the vaccine was developed?

Moves
27 Jun 06

or HIV for which a vaccine hasn't been developed yet

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
27 Jun 06

Natural Philosophy translates into modern English as Theoretical Physics

Moves
27 Jun 06

well it was more general back then, physics, chemsitry, biology, and the like hadn't seperated so much, people also tended not to be so specalised back then. of course Physisists would calim that all the other branches of science are just aplications of physics so...

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
27 Jun 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I have a Bachelor of Science in Chemical Bi[b]ology 😕[/b]
Yes, but what about Chemology and Physology?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
27 Jun 06
1 edit

Nope the "Ph" in PhD is Philosophy. You are thinking of the D.Phil, although they also do DSci. as well.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
27 Jun 06

Simply because they are very old. As I'm led to believe all their degrees are MA's anyway.

d

Moves
27 Jun 06

Simply because they are very old. As I'm led to believe all their degrees are MA's anyway.
Not exactly; you get your BA, wait a bit, then you are entitled to the MA.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
27 Jun 06

Originally posted by dottewell
Not exactly; you get your BA, wait a bit, then you are entitled to the MA.
Indeed, you wait one year.