Happines

Happines

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Mar 11

Originally posted by Doward
What is the purpose of all human beings?
To get enlightened, for the human form is one that has the potential to do so.

Other than that there is no purpose or meaning other than the one's we set ourselves.
It is a rather deflating thought to think there is no meaning in life.
The "inner" "purpose" just represents our natural states, it is beyond words and only the one who has openned their third eye will know, (and a bona fide Zen master)

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Mar 11

Now we are on to something. If happiness is pleasure and the absence of pain, then the purpose of existance could easily be said to be happiness. Human beings purposefully seek pleasure and avoid pain, both to great lengths.

The attainment of food and its subsequent ingestion is a source of pleasure, procreation is also a source of pleasure, our very most ...[text shortened]... merest existance.

The purpose of humanity is to seek happiness, from that society is created.
Seems simple enough. But happinness is relative and upto the intelligence of the individual. The more intelligent, the less happy...

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
28 Mar 11

I'd rather be Socrates dissatisfied than a pig satisfied---John Stuart Mill
Would you rather be Socrates dissatisfied than a dolphin doing nothing but eating, swimming and shagging all day long?

D

St. Peter's

Moves
28 Mar 11

Originally posted by shavixmir
Would you rather be Socrates dissatisfied than a dolphin doing nothing but eating, swimming and shagging all day long?
a dolphin is likely to end up in a tuna net.

The point is that intellectual pursuits create a higher quality of pleasure, but that doesn't mean one can't enjoy both, just don't get lost in the animal appetites.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
29 Mar 11

a dolphin is likely to end up in a tuna net.

The point is that intellectual pursuits create a higher quality of pleasure, but that doesn't mean one can't enjoy both, just don't get lost in the animal appetites.
Animal pleasure, intellectual pleasure whatever, it's all the same. It's dopamine and/or serotonin, however you release it, and it's fleeting. The pursuit of happiness is a blind dead-end.

D

St. Peter's

Moves
29 Mar 11

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Animal pleasure, intellectual pleasure whatever, it's all the same. It's dopamine and/or serotonin, however you release it, and it's fleeting. The pursuit of happiness is a blind dead-end.
reading a book does not release dopamine, not a biologist, but I'm pretty sure about that.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Mar 11

reading a book does not release dopamine, not a biologist, but I'm pretty sure about that.
If you're enjoying it, it does.

d

Moves
01 Apr 11

[b]Orders of happiness is somewhat ambiguous is what I was getting at

Happiness can be divided into two kinds. The lower order would be animal appetites, flesh pleasures and cheep thrills. Think NASCAR, roller coasters, rich foods, drink, and sex. These do nothing to create an abiding sense of contentment or social harmony. Some of them are merel ...[text shortened]... his type of happiness, the animal pleasures and appetites have less of an impact and seem petty.[/b]
i dis agree with the last statement, we can appreciate animal pleasures still, but in a differnt way. its like saying once youve reached enlightenment you dont like chocolate anymore, i dont agree with that, not that imenlightened but the way i see things...
also i sortof agree with the gist of the rest.
Tahlia & Daisy

Cape Town

Moves
01 Apr 11

The pursuit of lasting happiness without further input is a blind dead end, but it does not follow that the pursuit of happiness is a blind dead end. I pursue and achieve happiness quite regularly, and however fleeting it may be, it is achieved.

D

St. Peter's

Moves
01 Apr 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
The pursuit of lasting happiness without further input is a blind dead end, but it does not follow that the pursuit of happiness is a blind dead end. I pursue and achieve happiness quite regularly, and however fleeting it may be, it is achieved.
at last we seem to agree on something. There may be hope for us yet....

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
01 Apr 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
The downside of the pursuit of happiness is that it tends to distract one from the pursuit of contentment.

D

St. Peter's

Moves
02 Apr 11

The downside of the pursuit of happiness is that it tends to distract one from the pursuit of contentment.
truly moral people are rarely happy but usually quite content