1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 20:44
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Just had one, hot with lashings of butter.
    Delicious.
    Had 4 this morning.

😞
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 20:45
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    But I sure do enjoy hot cross buns.
    I know a few Catholics who actually think that eating fish and hot cross buns makes them righteous..😀
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 20:46
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Had 4 this morning.

😞
    Four!
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 20:47
    Four!
    In mitigation, there was a slight gap between eating.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 22:24
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    The 53rd chapter of Isaiah is a beautiful, poetic song, one of the four “Servant Songs” in which the prophet describes the climactic period of world history when the Messiah will arrive and the Jewish people assume the role as the spiritual leaders of humanity.
    Isaiah 53 is a prophecy foretelling how the world will react when they witness Israel's salva ...[text shortened]... ing of the text.

Pasted from <http://www.aish.com/sp/ph/Isaiah_53_The_Suffering_Servant.html>
    For a different perspective, Jews for Jesus offers this:

https://jewsforjesus.org/issues-v13-n06/who-s-the-subject-of-isaiah-53-you-decide/
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 00:082 edits
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    For a different perspective, Jews for Jesus offers this:

https://jewsforjesus.org/issues-v13-n06/who-s-the-subject-of-isaiah-53-you-decide/
    Did you read it? It's hardly compelling. There's little in the way of Biblical scholarship. Especially when compared to the arguments presented by Jews for Judaism at the link below or even the article I cited earlier. The article should be read in its entirety (I've only included a portion of the intro below) and then compared to the Jews for Jesus article,:
    Before engaging in an examination of Isaiah 53 itself, some preliminary issues must be considered. First is the issue of circular reasoning. Even if we interpret the chapter as the Christians do (forgetting for a minute the mistranslations and distortions of context which will be noted below), the most that could be said is this: Isaiah 53 is about someone who dies for the sins of others. People may have seen Jesus die, but did anyone see him die as an atonement for the sins of others? Of course not; this is simply the meaning which the New Testament gives to his death. Only if you already accept the New Testament teaching that his death had a non-visible, spiritual significance can you than go back to Isaiah and say, “see – the Prophet predicted what I already believe.” Isaiah 53, then, is in reality no “proof” at all, but rather a contrived confirmation for someone who has already chosen Christianity.
    Second (and consistent with all Jewish teaching at the time), Jesus’ own disciples didn’t view Isaiah 53 as a messianic prophecy. For example, after Peter identifies Jesus as the Messiah (Matt. 16:16), he is informed that Jesus will be killed (Matt. 16:21). His response: “God forbid it, lord! This shall never happen to you” (Matt. 16:22). See, also, Mk. 9:31-32; Mk. 16:10-11; Jn. 20:9. Even Jesus didn’t see Isaiah 53 as crucial to his messianic claims – why else did he call the Jews children of the devil for not believing in him before the alleged resurrection (Jn. 8:39-47)? And why did he later request that God “remove this cup from me” (Mk. 14:36) – didn’t he know that a “removal of the cup” would violate the gentile understanding of Isaiah 53?
    And third, even if we accept the gentile Christian interpretation of Isaiah 53, where is it indicated (either in Isaiah 53 or anywhere else in our Jewish Scriptures) that you must believe in this “Messiah” to get the benefits?

Pasted from <https://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge/articles/isaiah-53-a-jewish-perspective/>
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 00:17
    Did you read it? It's hardly compelling. There's little in the way of Biblical scholarship. Especially when compared to the arguments presented by Jews for Judaism at the link below or even the article I cited earlier. The article should be read in its entirety (I've only included a portion of the intro below) and then compared to the Jews for Jesus arti ...[text shortened]... from <https://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge/articles/isaiah-53-a-jewish-perspective/>
    [/quote]
    It’s not surprising that some modern-day Jews deny the obvious. The Pharisees of Jesus’ time denied His deity despite all of the miracles He performed. Some Jews and Gentiles refuse to see the obvious. That’s nothing new and consistent from Biblical times to today.

There were plenty of references to the purpose of Jesus’ sacrificial death in the Gospels before His crucifixion occurred. And, of course, His Resurrection as recorded in all four Gospels proved He was who He claimed to be.

Praise Jesus!
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 00:30
    Up all night again?
    Yeah Dad, all night.

Your point?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 00:34
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    You need the Catholic church to create a day called Good Friday for you to remember that Christ died?

Good Friday is a normal day.
    Yep

We can and should remember him everyday
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 01:211 edit
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    It’s not surprising that some modern-day Jews deny the obvious. The Pharisees of Jesus’ time denied His deity despite all of the miracles He performed. Some Jews and Gentiles refuse to see the obvious. That’s nothing new and consistent from Biblical times to today.

There were plenty of references to the purpose of Jesus’ sacrificial death in the Gospe ...[text shortened]... esurrection as recorded in all four Gospels proved He was who He claimed to be.

Praise Jesus!
    The level of scholarship is so much higher for the Jews for Judaism article and even the article I cited earlier. The Jews for Jesus article is laughably poorly argued. If the Jews for Jesus posted well argued articles, then perhaps more Jews would consider converting.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 02:00
    Easter is pagan.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2010/apr/03/easter-pagan-symbolism
    Funny, that's what Robbie always said.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 02:02
    The 53rd chapter of Isaiah is a beautiful, poetic song, one of the four “Servant Songs” in which the prophet describes the climactic period of world history when the Messiah will arrive and the Jewish people assume the role as the spiritual leaders of humanity.
    Isaiah 53 is a prophecy foretelling how the world will react when they witness Israel's salva ...[text shortened]... ing of the text.

Pasted from <http://www.aish.com/sp/ph/Isaiah_53_The_Suffering_Servant.html>
    The atheist speaks.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 02:05
    Did you read it? It's hardly compelling. There's little in the way of Biblical scholarship. Especially when compared to the arguments presented by Jews for Judaism at the link below or even the article I cited earlier. The article should be read in its entirety (I've only included a portion of the intro below) and then compared to the Jews for Jesus arti ...[text shortened]... from <https://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge/articles/isaiah-53-a-jewish-perspective/>
    [/quote]
    "Jews for Judaism"?

Really?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 02:07
    The level of scholarship is so much higher for the Jews for Judaism article and even the article I cited earlier. The Jews for Jesus article is laughably poorly argued. If the Jews for Jesus posted well argued articles, then perhaps more Jews would consider converting.
    Just like more Jews should consider converting to Judaism, right?
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 02:371 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Just like more Jews should consider converting to Judaism, right?
    Have you read the articles? If you haven't, you probably should. You know, educate yourself. No sense continuing to argue from a place of ignorance.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree