1. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 08:28
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Eating meat is an essential part of the human diet; to deny oneself meat is to deny oneself heath.
    Incorrect.

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes. A vegetarian diet is defined as one that does not include meat (including fowl) or seafood, or products containing those foods. This article reviews the current data related to key nutrients for vegetarians including protein, n-3 fatty acids, iron, zinc, iodine, calcium, and vitamins D and B-12. A vegetarian diet can meet current recommendations for all of these nutrients. In some cases, supplements or fortified foods can provide useful amounts of important nutrients. An evidence-based review showed that vegetarian diets can be nutritionally adequate in pregnancy and result in positive maternal and infant health outcomes. The results of an evidence-based review showed that a vegetarian diet is associated with a lower risk of death from ischemic heart disease. Vegetarians also appear to have lower low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, and lower rates of hypertension and type 2 diabetes than nonvegetarians. Furthermore, vegetarians tend to have a lower body mass index and lower overall cancer rates. Features of a vegetarian diet that may reduce risk of chronic disease include lower intakes of saturated fat and cholesterol and higher intakes of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, soy products, fiber, and phytochemicals. The variability of dietary practices among vegetarians makes individual assessment of dietary adequacy essential. In addition to assessing dietary adequacy, food and nutrition professionals can also play key roles in educating vegetarians about sources of specific nutrients, food purchase and preparation, and dietary modifications to meet their needs.

http://www.eatright.org/about/content.aspx?id=8357
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 10:39
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    Incorrect.

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals dur ...[text shortened]... y modifications to meet their needs.

supplements being the key factor.

yes, you can get anything you need from eating carrots. and some pills.

i don't disagree with the view that a vegetarian diet can be enough. if you do it for religious reasons, or moral reasons, good for you.
    i don't approve that a vegetarian diet is better than a omnivore one. the fact forgotten from this claim is that a vegetarian diet to be viable, needs the ok of nutritionists. well who stops a meat eating man from going to a nutritionists? to buy good meat? yes, if you eat chemically fed pork full of fat or chikins coming from the farm next to the nuclear waste dump you might get sick. but likewise will you get sick if you go eat poisonous mushrooms or genetically modified potatoes
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 11:58
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

i don't disagree with the view that a vegetarian diet can be enough. if you do it for religious reasons, or moral reasons, good for you.
    i don't approve that a vegetarian diet is better than a omnivore one. the fact forgotten from this cla ...[text shortened]... likewise will you get sick if you go eat poisonous mushrooms or genetically modified potatoes
    I can't see anything in the article to suggest that dietary supplements are necessary for a vegetarian. On the other hand, it does appear that a diet consisting primarily of vegetables has a number of health benefits.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 12:32
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I can't see anything in the article to suggest that dietary supplements are necessary for a vegetarian. On the other hand, it does appear that a diet consisting primarily of vegetables has a number of health benefits.
    yes, a diet not having pork fat in it is healthier.

who said those that eat meat are required to eat pork fat?

one could have a balance diet while eating meat as well.

we are omnivores. we evolved this way. we are smarter than cows because of it. yes, if you can find all the things you need to be healthy in veggies alone, go for it.

i for one don't feel like paying a nutritionist to tell me exactly how much soy i must eat so that my body doesn't shut down. or pay a crpload of monehz for special veggies. just because some people think that all meat is a one way ticket to cancerville. or that cows have feelings.

i am top of the food chain and i don't feel the need to apologize to cows for feeding on them. i draw the line at chimps. when cows will be able to use tools like them, i will stop feeding on them.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 13:50
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    Incorrect.

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals dur ...[text shortened]... y modifications to meet their needs.

I'm always curious as to these meat vs vegetarian scientific studies. I remember a study you posted a while in the science forum which demonstrated that a vegetarian diet was associated with lower rates of heart disease compared to a meat diet. Tucked at the end of the paper was, for me anyhow, the crucial part of the study. The meat eaters in the study, on average, smoked and drank more and exercised less than the vegetarians. That might be a significant factor as to why the meat eaters had higher rates of CD.

I'd like to see a study which has a group that eats meat (but not a lot), but also a load of fruit, vegetables and seeds and who also exercises strenuously.
  6. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 14:49

i don't approve that a vegetarian diet is better than a omnivore one. the fact forgotten from this cla ...[text shortened]... likewise will you get sick if you go eat poisonous mushrooms or genetically modified potatoes

How on earth do you get that from the article?
  7. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 15:08
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I'm always curious as to these meat vs vegetarian scientific studies. I remember a study you posted a while in the science forum which demonstrated that a vegetarian diet was associated with lower rates of heart disease compared to a meat diet. Tucked at the end of the paper was, for me anyhow, the crucial part of the study. The meat eaters in the study, ...[text shortened]... not a lot), but also a load of fruit, vegetables and seeds and who also exercises strenuously.
    It may be true that vegetarians and vegans are more health conscious on average, but it's a diet that can also attract profoundly unhealthy people ie. with anorexia, bulimia, etc who try to hide behind the diet to mask their conditions. Controls are needed on both sides of the study.

Here's the study you mention. It appears the researchers took your concerns into account.

A question that arises from observational studies like this one is whether meat is in fact a hazard or whether other factors associated with meat-eating are the real culprits in raising death rates. The subjects in the study who ate the most red meat had other less-than-healthful habits. They were more likely to smoke, weigh more for their height, and consume more calories and more total fat and saturated fat. They also ate less fruits, vegetables and fiber; took fewer vitamin supplements; and were less physically active.

But in analyzing mortality data in relation to meat consumption, the cancer institute researchers carefully controlled for all these and many other factors that could influence death rates.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/health/28brod.html
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 17:54
    Eating meat is an essential part of the human diet; to deny oneself meat is to deny oneself heath.
    Even if that were the case (and I'm not sure that it is) I reckon that the hazards of modern, factory-farmed meat easily outweigh the benefits. And that's without considering the moral dimension. Why wouldn't you want tank-grown meat instead?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 20:32
    Not really. It is to deny yourself the pleasure of the taste.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 20:35
    Also there are way more health hazards with meat eating. Something that people like to glide over.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 21:14
    yes, a diet not having pork fat in it is healthier.

we are omnivores. we evolved this way. we are smarter than cows because of it. yes, if you can find all the things you need to be healthy in veggies alone, go for it.

i for o ...[text shortened]... e line at chimps. when cows will be able to use tools like them, i will stop feeding on them.

No one. What are you talking about?

Sure. The question though is not whether meat-eaters can have a balanced diet but whether their diet is healthier than a vegetarian one.

Well, that's a controversial one. If research shows that vegetarians can have a nutritious diet with lower risks of cardiovascular disease and cancer, how can you say that mankind has evolved specifically to be omnivorous?

for one don't feel like paying a nutritionist to tell me exactly how much soy i must eat so that my body doesn't shut down. or pay a crpload of monehz for special veggies. just because some people think that all meat is a one way ticket to cancerville. or that cows have feelings.

Well, you are not required to visit a nutritionist. Some pregnant women and the elderly may consult their local doctor just in case but certainly a nutritionist is not needed. A vegetarian diet is in fact easy and quite inexpensive. Vegetables in the Western world are not costly. In Australia I can get a bag of carrots fo $1.50, or roughly 25c each.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree