1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    26 Mar '11 19:52
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There you go twisting what I say again for your own purposes.
    You quoted me right once, and that was:

"And Christianity in America had nothing to do with the people who sold Negros into slavery."

You seem not to want to understand that a person can call himself a Christian
    and not follow the teachings of Jesus the Christ. As I pointed out to you
    ...[text shortened]...
    in Tyler, Texas, USA? I suppose you would, so you don't even have to
    answer that question.
    I've twisted nothing.

The Baptists were involved in slavery. They are a Christian denomination with 16 million members in the US. They were involved with slavery and apologised for their actions in 1995.

Which bit of that do you not agree with?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Mar '11 23:31
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I've twisted nothing.

The Baptists were involved in slavery. They are a Christian denomination with 16 million members in the US. They were involved with slavery and apologised for their actions in 1995.

Which bit of that do you not agree with?
    If any of them were involved in slavery, I am glad they
    apologized. I really don't know. But my statement was
    about "Christianity" not about a Christian denomination.
    "Christianity" promotes love and freedom, not slavery.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 12:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    clearly Christ is talking metaphorically, never the less, you have put forth the proposition that Christianity is all, nice and fluffy, clearly the Christ had different ideas.

You have done nothing of the sort, for i did not state that it meant a literal sword, so please stop the pretence. Where if fact does this idea that Christianity is all fl ...[text shortened]... , you assume, and on making an assumption, you form an argument on the basis of your assumption.
    is your brain on auto-pilot again? do you think anyone is fooled by this? you took one word out of context from what i said, and then ran with it to the next town.

the persecution of christians has nothing to do with the fluffyness of christianity. "love your enemy" is not rendered any less fluffy if someone else other than christians doesn't obey it.

it's like saying that vegetarians eat meat because their relatives eat meat.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 12:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    No atheists were ever supporters of slavery, nor were they partakers of its benefits. I would go so far to say that it was a Christian who invented the A-Bomb and another two who dropped it on both Japanese cities. It was also a Christian who invented chemical warfare and a Christian who decided that capitalism would be the dominant economic model of t ...[text shortened]... ist safe in my contented world where the dammed Christian carried the cross of the worlds shame.
    yeh, and it was an atheist who conducted the genocide in cambodgia or ran the gulags in mother russia.

your point?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree