1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 15:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    clearly you need to read the scripture in its immediate context.

(2 Peter 3:5-10) . . .For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice, that
    [b]there were heavens from of old and an earth standing compactly out of water
    and in the midst of water by the word of God;  and by those means the world of that
    time suffered destruction[ ...[text shortened]... e literal
    heavens and earth, but to the destruction of ungodly men. Oh and its not a mystery.
    Keep quessing.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 15:351 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Keep quessing.
    try reading the text, who knows, perhaps you may actually learn something.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 16:31
    try reading the text, who knows, perhaps you may actually learn something.
    You give up, then?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 16:35
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You give up, then?
    give up on a hopeless sinner like you? no way , you need every scrap of scripture you can get.
  5. Standard memberKellyJayonline
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 16:40
    give up on a hopeless sinner like you? no way , you need every scrap of scripture you can get.
    LOL, classic....nice reply....I have to remember this one.
    Kelly
  6. St. Peter's
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 17:38
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Compared to God Himself, no I don't think they are that important.
    Kelly
    I would tend to agree. I base it on: Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all of these things shall be added unto you. (Matthew 6:33)

The context is to be a part of the kingdom and find your place in it, work for it, experience it, and all other things come to you, you won't have to search for them. Of course many will have different opinions on what the kingdom is.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 19:49
    LOL, classic....nice reply....I have to remember this one.
    Kelly
    its actually a take on Robert Louise Stevenson's treasure island, where, when Long John Silver is handed the black spot, he sees that it is written on a page from the bible, he states that no good will come of it and that it poor unworthy pirates like them could do with every scrap of scripture then can get.
  8. Standard memberKellyJayonline
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 19:57
    its actually a take on Robert Louise Stevenson's treasure island, where, when Long John Silver is handed the black spot, he sees that it is written on a page from the bible, he states that no good will come of it and that it poor unworthy pirates like them could do with every scrap of scripture then can get.
    So I was not far off with saying, classic? 🙂
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberKellyJayonline
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 20:02
    Originally posted by Doward
    I would tend to agree. I base it on: Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all of these things shall be added unto you. (Matthew 6:33)

The context is to be a part of the kingdom and find your place in it, work for it, experience it, and all other things come to you, you won't have to search for them. Of course many will have different opinions on what the kingdom is.
    I agree with you 100% here! There are a lot of things I think we do that are not
    needed and tend to get into the way when they shouldn't. What do you make
    of Hebrews 4 the full chapter?
    Kelly
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 20:04
    So I was not far off with saying, classic? 🙂
    Kelly
    yup! an excellent read! 🙂
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 20:15
    Originally posted by Doward

No one said God is not the most important thing. Not by a long shot. All that's being said here is God in his love for us not only allowed his son to give his life for us to gain life and not die either with the chance to go to heaven or to live here on the earth as God originally planned. There is nothing wrong as humans to want a better life where there is no sickness, crime, starvation, death, etc, etc.
    Sure we all want to serve God and put him first but we are also humans and desire for things to get better.
    So for ones on this planet who do not know God and these plans and have hope of a better way to live now and to know there is hope for the future on this planet, they need to know these things. And in turn for knowing them we need to show our love and appreciation to God for that hope for the future.
    If you did not know God and what he has planned for the future, would you not want to know these things?
  12. St. Peter's
    Moves
    10 Jul '11 20:26
    I agree with you 100% here! There are a lot of things I think we do that are not
    needed and tend to get into the way when they shouldn't. What do you make
    of Hebrews 4 the full chapter?
    Kelly
    Hebrews itself is a wonderful work of apologetics. The way it is written does easily lend itself to being divided into chapters. I think the author meant for the book to be read as a whole.

The 4th chapter talks about entering into God's Sabbath or shabbat. I think as Christians we might have a tendancy to misinterpret that phrase. The Jews looked at Shabbat much differntly than we do. It wasn't simply a day of rest, or ceasing from work it was also messianic, liberation and an opportunity to reflect on creation. Modern Christians so far removed from Judaic traditions might interpret this as an opportunity to disregard there obligations to God.

Hebrews is about the Christ being our shabbat, our rest from the cares of the world, our liberation, our creation and our sustainer. If anything it binds us more tightly to worship and obediance. Others may see it differently.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree