Heaven

Heaven

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
05 Feb 11
1 edit

For the Christians in the audience...

1) No one sins in heaven
2) There is no pain, suffering or death in heaven
3) The people in heaven have free will

If these premises are true, why did God create Earth and Hell at all? Why not just create Heaven, and fill it with enlightened people who always choose to do the right thing?

If one or more premise is false, which one is it and why?

j

Moves
05 Feb 11
4 edits

Originally posted by SwissGambit

1) No one sins in heaven

If these premises are true, why did God create Earth and Hell at all? Why not just create Heaven, and fill it with enlightened people who always choose to do the right thing?

The belief that God wants the saved to go to Heaven forever is not to be found in the Bible to begin with. So the premise is something of a strawman argument.

I am not saying there is no Heaven. Nor am I saying that there are no passages about the believers in heaven.

But the emphasis on going to a happy place in Christianity is really not very biblical. And to wonder why there is an earth when Christians talk so much about Heaven is a perfectly legitimate question.

I don't think the answers you would receive from evangelicals on why, would be very good answers IMO.

Some of my brethren might protest that it depends on what one means by Heaven. If they mean that the "new heaven and the new earth" where righteousness dwells is generally Heaven, I understand. But I think it is misleading and problematic to reason this way.

The eternal destiny of the saved sons of God is "The New Jerusalem" which figure I hold is highly symbolic in Revelation 21 and 22. And she comes down OUT of heaven.

s

England

Moves
05 Feb 11

1) No one sins in heaven

3] the people in heaven have free will. ive never read this. the people in heaven do the will of god, free will came from eating of the tree of knowledge and were cast out from the garden.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
05 Feb 11

1) No one sins in heaven

This is just another silly attempt to try to explain why God does things. The best answer is 'don't try to figure it out'. God does things in his own time, and for his own reasons. You simply have to take a few things on faith.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
05 Feb 11

1) No one sins in heaven

Your post is titled 'Heaven', and you address it only for Christians.

Why?

Atheist Buddhists have an equally legitimate 'heaven'. Why did you choose to exclude a response from such?

-m.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
05 Feb 11

Heaven is a refrence to the fifth dimesion...and compared to what we have here, IT IS.

rc

Moves
05 Feb 11

Originally posted by mikelom

Why?

Atheist Buddhists have an equally legitimate 'heaven'. Why did you choose to exclude a response from such?

-m.
Because we are a very exclusive club, we cant have all sorts of riff raff buddhists and heaven forbid, base materialists showing up. Bouncers, eject this man! pronto!

rc

Moves
05 Feb 11
2 edits

1) No one sins in heaven

1.Actually its not quite true that no one in heaven sins, for example, we have this rather famous incident,

(Revelation 12:7-10) . . .And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels battled with the dragon, and the dragon and its angels battled  but it did not prevail, neither was a place found for them any longer in heaven.

2. Why did God create the earth?

(Isaiah 45:18) . . .For this is what Jehovah has said, the Creator of the heavens, He the true God, the Former of the earth and the Maker of it, He the One who firmly established it, who did not create it simply for nothing, who formed it even to be inhabited. . .

(Psalm 115:16) . . .As regards the heavens, to Jehovah the heavens belong, But the earth he has given to the sons of men.

Thus while heaven was intended to be an abode of spiritual entities, the earth was given as an abode for mankind.

3. Freewill necessitates that a person has choice in a matter and can make a wise or an unwise decision within certain parameters, anything else and they become auto-bots.

4. It must be noted that there are no people in heaven, only spiritual entities,

(1 Corinthians 15:50) . . .However, this I say, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s kingdom. . .

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
05 Feb 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Because we are a very exclusive club, we cant have all sorts of riff raff buddhists and heaven forbid, base materialists showing up. Bouncers, eject this man! pronto!
Damn it! Visha is right. Buddhists are worthless.

I will close the door quietly behind me, on my way out. :'(

rc

Moves
05 Feb 11
1 edit

Damn it! Visha is right. Buddhists are worthless.

I will close the door quietly behind me, on my way out. :'(
no way, you will be given the bums rush out the window! 😛 Buddhist are cool, i like them!

D

St. Peter's

Moves
05 Feb 11

1) No one sins in heaven

God started with that pattern, it didn't work. Creating people with free will and independant thought opens the possibility of being in relationship with the divine. If we remove free will from the equation, then the possibility of partnership or relationship ceases to exist. I think this is paramount in understanding our purpose as a species.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
05 Feb 11

1) No one sins in heaven

",..why did God create Earth,.."

Look, understanding "why" is a big step. The Bible is simple, but not simplistic.

One needs a thorough working knowledge of the Bible's contents if one is going to find meaning and understanding. Having said that, I will tell you this in answer to your question. You can choose to believe me or not.

The earth was originally created for another purpose, but now, as a short answer, the world is a proving ground. This life will play out, and in the end God will have accomplished His purpose and will sort it all out.

Heaven is beyond our imagination. We are here now, and it is here that we prove who and what we are. It is our choice to do with this life what we can.

There will be no excuses. We have only one plea. Christ!

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
08 Feb 11

Originally posted by stoker
3] the people in heaven have free will. ive never read this. the people in heaven do the will of god, free will came from eating of the tree of knowledge and were cast out from the garden.
OK, so God is content to have robots that are programmed to serve him. If so, why offer humanity the choice of free will in the first place? Free will is just the chance to go wrong.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
08 Feb 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
1.Actually its not quite true that no one in heaven sins, for example, we have this rather famous incident,

(Revelation 12:7-10) . . .And [b]war broke out in heaven
: Michael and his angels battled with the dragon, and the dragon and its angels battled  but it did not prevail, neither was a place found for them any longer in heaven.

2. Why ...[text shortened]...  . .However, this I say, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s kingdom. . .[/b]
Do you think there are spiritual entities in Heaven that used to be people? Or will there be?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
08 Feb 11

Why?

-m.
My audience is large enough without including Buddhists! 😛