1. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    25 Jun '12 17:45
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The following is part of what wikipedia writes about the Samaitans.

Ancestrally, Samaritans claim descent from a group of Israelite inhabitants from the tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh (the two sons of Joseph) as well as some descendants from the priestly tribe of Levi, who have connections to ancient Samaria from the period of their entry into the land of ...[text shortened]... ion between the ancient Sumerians of Iraq and the Samaritans, who may have come from Iraq.
    those ancient cities in sumer were occupied by the semitic akkadians (babylonians). the sumerians eventually integrated with the akkadians. it is likely they have a sumerian bloodline, in whole or in part, but so do most of the native (non arabic) cultures in mesopotamia.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Jun '12 18:12
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    those ancient cities in sumer were occupied by the semitic akkadians (babylonians). the sumerians eventually integrated with the akkadians. it is likely they have a sumerian bloodline, in whole or in part, but so do most of the native (non arabic) cultures in mesopotamia.
    Irrelevant, numbnuts! 😏
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    26 Jun '12 00:47
    Irrelevant, numbnuts! 🙄
    your brain is irrelevant. that is the only explanation for your persistent participation in topics of which you have no understanding.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jun '12 03:54
    your brain is irrelevant. that is the only explanation for your persistent participation in topics of which you have no understanding.
    So I suppose that you have total understanding and know that there is no soul that lives on after our body dies. So you know there is no God that created life, but that life just happened by some freak occurrence and over billions of years of evolution, we evolved from some type of ape that is now extinct. Or perhaps you know exactly which type of ape we evolved from. I guess you also have gained the knowledge to know for a fact that the Holy Bilbe is nothing more than fairy tales and legends and the One we call the Son of God was a lunatic, who died for nothing because there is no Heaven or Hell for non-existent souls. I am sure you must feel so superior to us Christians, who are believing in nonsense. Rest happy in your knowledge.
  5. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    26 Jun '12 05:30
    So I suppose that you have total understanding and blah blah blah blah
    no, i just have a much better understanding than you.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '12 10:17
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=gC3NXOFT9no

The Sumerian God here appears to be the same as the Hebrew God.
    I think the Holy Bible refers to the sumerians as Samaitans.
    Jesus thinks they are worshipping the same God as the Jews.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
    I think you will find that many of the Sumerian and Hebrew stories have similarities. For example, they both talk of a "Garden" of paradise and a great flood etc. To think then that these ancient cultures came up with parellel stories by chance is unthinkable. Clearly, they both had similar influences in terms of the origins of their stories.

Having said that, there are two ways to look at this. One is to say that these were made up and then from one civilization the stories spread to other civilizations. The second way to approach this is that there is some truth to these stories which were then spread throughout various civilizations.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jun '12 13:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think you will find that many of the Sumerian and Hebrew stories have similarities. For example, they both talk of a "Garden" of paradise and a great flood etc. To think then that these ancient cultures came up with parellel stories by chance is unthinkable. Clearly, they both had similar influences in terms of the origins of their stories.

Having sai ...[text shortened]... there is some truth to these stories which were then spread throughout various civilizations.
    I like version # 1.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jun '12 13:581 edit
    no, i just have a much better understanding than you.
    Be careful, I did not say, "blah blah blah blah." Making modifications which misrepresent the original post will result in a forum ban.

So if you do NOT have total understanding, then perhaps there is a soul of man that lives on after the body dies, right? Maybe there is a spiritual Heaven and Hell, right? And perhaps there is a God that created life and we did not evolve from some other creature, right?

Also if you do NOT have total understanding, then perhaps God did send His Son to the Earth to save the souls of mankind from sin and death and the Holy Bible may be true after all, right?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jun '12 14:01
    Originally posted by whodey

Having sai ...[text shortened]... there is some truth to these stories which were then spread throughout various civilizations.
    If the second were the case then we would expect the stories to be equally prevalent throughout the world (since everyone is supposedly descended from Noah). However they are only found in a small region in the Middle east, suggesting the first scenario.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jun '12 14:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I like version # 1.
    I know you like version #1, but version #2 is more logical.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jun '12 14:143 edits
    I know you like version #1, but version #2 is more logical.
    There is ZERO logic in what's behind door #2. It is 100% religious faith, which, as most of us here knows, is total BS, fairy tales.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jun '12 14:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If the second were the case then we would expect the stories to be equally prevalent throughout the world (since everyone is supposedly descended from Noah). However they are only found in a small region in the Middle east, suggesting the first scenario.
    There are similar flood stories all over the world.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Great_Flood

Even the holy grail for Atheists "talkorigins.org" list flood stories from around the world.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jun '12 14:31
    There are similar flood stories all over the world.
    There are floods all over the world, that there are stories about them is not surprising. The issue is whether there are enough significant similarities to suggest a common origin.
  14. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    26 Jun '12 17:451 edit
    Be careful, I did not say, "blah blah blah blah." Making modifications which misrepresent the original post will result in a forum ban.
    no worries on that front, i made no modifications that misrepresented the original post.

So if you do NOT have total understanding, then perhaps there is a soul of man that lives on after the body dies, right? Maybe there is a spiritual Heaven and Hell, right? And perhaps there is a God that created life and we did not evolve from some other creature, right?

Also if you do NOT have total understanding, then perhaps God did send His Son to the Earth to save the souls of mankind from sin and death and the Holy Bible may be true after all, right?

all these things exist as probabilities.
    could a "soul" exist? sure. but our understanding of a soul is incomplete.

spiritual heaven and hell? infinite possibilities here. could be many heavens and no hell, could be all hells, could be heaven and hell, could be anything in between.

a god that created life? again, infinite possibilities here. could be a god created life, could be many gods created life independently, could be many gods collaborated to create life together, could be life came about without interference from god(s). could be the universe was just a consequence of god(s) doing something else. could be they just created the laws and spun the roulette wheel to see how things would turn out by evolution.

is the holy bible right? well now we have something concrete here. no more speculation involved, we have a book with stories which can be verified or falsified. the bible has already been falsified. relegate that nonsense to our library of myths.
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    26 Jun '12 17:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There are floods all over the world, that there are stories about them is not surprising. The issue is whether there are enough significant similarities to suggest a common origin.
    end of ice age, lots of land ice melts. floods all over the world. most of the people live on coasts. most of the people will have flood stories.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree