1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 14:09
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    Here the Buddha as physician prescribes the treatment for our illness: The Eightfold Path. Unlike in many other religions, in Buddhism there is no particular benefit to merely believing in a doctrine. Instead, the emphasis is on living the doctrine and walking the path.

The Lord as a physician prescribes the treatment for our illness: The narrow road. ...[text shortened]...

The only difference here is WE can not do it on our own, we need the LORD to help guide us.
    Exactly; Christianity is for those who believe themselves weak and the human race depraved and helpless.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 14:131 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill

I think you are a bold face liar.
    If you're gonna use a cliché at least get it right: bald face, as in unshaven, not bold face as in Kiefer Sutherland on camera in 24 or some other overhyped predictable thriller
  3. SEMO
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 14:58
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Exactly; Christianity is for those who believe themselves weak and the human race depraved and helpless.
    Our sin causes us to be depraved and unable to know truth unless the Lord opens our eyes to truth. Buddhism makes man out to be his own god, it is for those who are prideful. Christianity is for those who are humble, not weak for the Lord makes them able and strong enough to swallow pride.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 15:101 edit
    Our sin causes us to be depraved and unable to know truth unless the Lord opens our eyes to truth. Buddhism makes man out to be his own god, it is for those who are prideful. Christianity is for those who are humble, not weak for the Lord makes them able and strong enough to swallow pride.
    If you want to believe in a fictional character who will magically fix your own inadequacies, that's your business. Buddhism doesn't believe in such nonsense; it does believe in the ability of human beings to solve their own problems. I see people doing so every day; you can believe that human beings are weak, helpless and depraved if you prefer but it sounds like you are projecting your own failings.

Only someone incredibly ignorant of the Buddha and Buddhist thought would claim that Buddhism is "for those who are prideful". This from someone who believes that a 3 O God created the whole vast universe just to save a few creatures infinitely inferior to him so they could grovel before him for all eternity! I've never yet heard an intelligible answer to the rather obvious question of why this great and powerful God would do such a thing.
  5. SEMO
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 15:57
    If you want to believe in a fictional character who will magically fix your own inadequacies, that's your business. Buddhism doesn't believe in such nonsense; it does believe in the ability of human beings to solve their own problems. I see people doing so every day; you can believe that human beings are weak, helpless and depraved if you prefer but it s ...[text shortened]... er to the rather obvious question of why this great and powerful God would do such a thing.
    Exo 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:

Deu 14:2 For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.

Deu 26:18 And the LORD hath avouched thee this day to be his peculiar people, as he hath promised thee, and that thou shouldest keep all his commandments;

Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Looks to me like he did it for a peculiar people unto himself. 😉
  6. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 16:48
    your theology is straight from the John Calvin playbook. By your own theology, it is pointless to spread the good news, because God has predistined who will be saved. There are numerous refutations to this theology, not the least of which was that Adam and Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. The fact they had the free will to choose to eat from that tree is ironic in itself. The modern evangelical movement (actually starting with John Wesly) is a general refutation of calvinism.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 21:43
    Exo 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:

Deu 14:2 For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.

Deu ...[text shortened]... into his marvellous light:

Looks to me like he did it for a peculiar people unto himself. 😉
    Many primitive peoples claimed that God(s) looked upon them more favorably then other people; why should we take such predictable claims seriously?

Nor does your Bible quoting answer the question why 3 O God is sooooooooooooo concerned about creatures so infinitely inferior to him. Why is it so important to your Monster God to have beings who have less capability compared to him then an amoeba has to us to grovel before him for all eternity?
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 22:03
    I've never yet heard an intelligible answer to the rather obvious question of why this great and powerful God would do such a thing.
    If it's a great and powerful God that you seek, you could turn to Islam. Compared to the Qur’an, the Bible hardly offers any praise to the deity that visited monotheistic peoples in the Middle East.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 23:14
    .... God created the whole vast universe just to save a few creatures infinitely inferior to him so they could grovel before him for all eternity! I've never yet heard an intelligible answer to the rather obvious question of why this great and powerful God would do such a thing.
    I have never seen you ask such a question.
    Why are you assuming that we are the only life form in the universe that God created.
    It is more likley that God and His millions of angels go around the universe creating hundreds of worlds with intelligent life.
    Any Christian that thinks God is in the heavens and spends His time watching over us and us alone, is stupid.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 00:31
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Why are you assuming that we are the only life form in the universe that God created.
    It is more likley that God and His millions of angels go around the universe creating hundreds of worlds with intelligent life.
    Any Christian that thinks God is in the heavens and spends His time watching over us and us alone, is stupid.
    It's all about the ketchup
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 03:171 edit
    ========================================

Quite the contrary. He watches man because it is through man that God can accomplish His eternal purpose.

This passage should be enough to prove that the Bible teaches that God watches us intensely:

"Jehovah looks from heaven; He sees all the sons of men. From the site of His habitation He gazes at all the inhabitants of the earth, He who fashions the hearts of them all, He who discerns all their works." (Psalm 33:13,14)
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 03:35
    [b]========================================

Quite the contrary. He watches man because it is through man that God can accomplish His eternal purpose.

This passage should be enough to prove that ...[text shortened]... He who fashions the hearts of them all, He who discerns all their works." (Psalm 33:13,14)[/b][/b]
    And God's "eternal purpose" is what exactly? A one sentence summary would be nice.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 09:33
    Originally posted by jaywill...it is through man that God can accomplish His eternal purpose.[/b]
    This statement is somewhere the bible I hope.
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 11:071 edit
    This statement is somewhere the bible I hope.
    I base that statement on passages such as this:

"Making known to us the mystery of His will according to His good pleasure which He purposed in HIms, unto the economy of the fullness of the times, to head up all things in Christ, the things in the heavens and the things on the earth, in Him; In whom also we were designated as an inheritance, having been predestinated according to the purpose of the One who works all things according to the counsel of His will." (Eph. 1:10,11)

The mystery of God's will is to, in time, head up all things in Christ. Christ is a man. Christ is the God-man. And the will of God is that all things would be headed up and erected in good order under this marvelous God-man Christ.

God's eternal purpose is therefore centered in Christ and His redeemed who become an inheritance to God.

The term "eternal purpose" is found in the book of Ephesians. Read it aloud today. Read at least the first three chapters aloud. I think you will be blessed.

Furthermore God speaks of His purpose "before the foundation of the world" through the Apostle Paul:

"Even as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world to be holy and without blemish before Him in love, predestinating us to sonship through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will ..." (Eph. 1:4,5)

This strongly implies tha first God had a plan and a will to have sons of God. Then based upon this plan and purpose He then laid the foundation of the world. That is He then created the universe. His plan preceeded His creation of he world. His desire to have sons with His life and nature preceeded His laying the foundation of the world.

So I say that God's eternal purpose is centered on man. And the head of this man is Jesus Christ.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 11:101 edit
    [/b]I base that statement on passages such as this:

"Making known to us the mystery of His will according to His good pleasure which He purposed in HIms, unto the economy of the fullness of the times, to head up all things in Christ, the things in the heavens and the things on the earth, in Him; In whom also we were designated as an inheritance, having b t God's eternal purpose is centered on man. And the head of this man is Jesus Christ.
    jaywill: So I say that God's eternal purpose is centered on man.

Talk about prideful! And why would a 3 O God center his entire existence, his purpose, on something as inferior to him as Man? I can see primitive man believing in such rubbish, but it's the 21st Century, jaywill.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree