1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Jun '06 14:12
    Why did my mother have her left hand tied behind her back, as well as get hit by a Nun when she tried to use her left hand?

P-
  2. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    10 Jun '06 14:241 edit

Religion
    Christianity is strongly biased towards the right hand. It is the right had that gives the blessing and make the sign of the cross.

On one count, the bible contains over 100 favourable reference to the right-hand and 25 unfavourable references to the left-hand. E.g.: The right hand of the lord doeth valiantly, the right hand of the lord is exalted (Psalm 118 vv15,16)

The left hand does worst in the parable of the sheep and goats. The sheep are set on Christ's right hand and the goats on the left. Those on the right inherit the kingdom of god while those on the left depart into everlasting fire.

The situation is much the same in Judaism and Islam. In Islam, the left hand and everything associated with it is seen as unclean. This stems from the Middle Eastern custom of using the left-hand and water instead of toilet paper.

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/lefty_myths.html#4

-JC
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jun '06 14:28

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    10 Jun '06 15:32
    I doubt God is concerned which hand you use. Foolish people may be concerned about such things.
  5. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    10 Jun '06 15:33
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Why did my mother have her left hand tied behind her back, as well as get hit by a Nun when she tried to use her left hand?

P-
    Bring back the Nuns with the rulers I say! Most of the world’s problems will be solved by a quick smack across the knuckles, or maybe some ear twisting.

I am a right hander most of the time, but I shoot a bow left handed and use a fishing pole left handed. I can switch back and forth...it don't matter except in writing; that I do with my right.

I guess that I am a bihandual. Do you think that I am just suppressing my left handed urges by conforming to societies demands that people be right handed? Could I truly be a left hander in denial?

On a side note:

My Grandpa used to have to walk with a broom stick held in place behind his back by his elbows to teach him good posture every night for a 1/2 hour.

RTh
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '06 16:44

P-
    I'd ask the non there is nothing in scripture about being left handed
    as being bad.
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Jun '06 23:25
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I'd ask the non there is nothing in scripture about being left handed
    as being bad.
    Kelly
    You apparently missed Churlant's post.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Jun '06 23:50
    Originally posted by Churlant

Religion
    Christianity is strongly biased towards the right hand. It is the right had that gives the blessing and make the sign of the cross.

On one count, the bible contains over 100 favourable reference to the right-hand and 25 unfavourable references to the left-hand. E.g.: The right hand of the lord doeth valiantly, the right hand of the lord is ...[text shortened]... nstead of toilet paper.

-JC
    Sheep to to Heaven, Goats go to hell...

Go to Hell!
    Go to Hell!
    Go to Hell!
    Go to Hell!
    Go to Hell!

(Cake song)
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 04:443 edits
    Originally posted by Churlant

Religion

On one count, the bible contains over 100 favourable reference to the right-hand and 25 unfavourable references to the left-hand. E.g.: The right hand of the lord doeth valiantly, the right hand of the lord is nstead of toilet paper.

-JC
    Making the sign of the cross isn't something I'm overly concern about,
    those that are concern about it can play it up anyway they desire too,
    it isn't a scriptural act as far as I can tell.

As far as the other references are concern, it isn't the left hand but
    being on the left side when those that were placed there were simply
    being sorted according to their deeds. It had nothing to do with the
    left hand being evil.

I agree about recieving a blessing, but does not mean anything
    evil about the left hand, only that the right is used for that purpose.
    Besides there are scripture where the left side is desired too.
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 07:401 edit

P-
    I'm a lefty; God doesn't have a problem with it.
  11. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 07:58
    Originally posted by Ringtailhunter
    Bring back the Nuns with the rulers I say! Most of the world’s problems will be solved by a quick smack across the knuckles, or maybe some ear twisting.
    I guess that I am a bihandual.

RTh
    Not bihandual. The correct term is ambidextrous.

While I will agree with you that disipline is a good thing, hitting children for writing left handed is a bit ridiculous, as are some other policies of old style catholic schools.

And I can see the nuns did wonders for your vocabulary.
  12. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 09:44
    Sometimes my right hand gets tired, and I have to use my left to finish.
  13. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 15:48

P-
    I dont think it was because of religious reasons, maybe just so it creates less problems when eating at a table full of people, or so she would get teased less or something, Anyways Im a leftie, and a proud one 🙂
  14. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 15:49
    Everyone is born Left Handed, when you commit your first sin you turn into a Right Handed person 😛
  15. London
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 09:40

P-
    Don't mix cultural norms with religion. Just because your mom got hit by a nun doesn't mean it has anything to do with religion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree