1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 17:00
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Lack/Absence/Opposition to religion can also be an integral part of some cultures.
    Name one. Even the USSR, which was officially secular, promoted communism as a religion; indeed, it was even a messianic religion.

In other threads I frequently have identified aspects of Jesus' teachings that are antithetical to the teachings of Western churches, teachings that advance hegemonic aspects of dominant culture. Where should I begin again? Read the beatitudes and point to one Western nation that makes any of them a priority. You cannot do this because the beatitudes define righteous behavioral ideals that we in Western culture shun with nearly every fibre of our being. Those few Christians that seek to live these ideals (the Sojourners come to mind) are cultural revolutionaries that stand in opposition to the mores of their society.
  2. London
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 17:11
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Name one. Even the USSR, which was officially secular, promoted communism as a religion; indeed, it was even a messianic religion.

In other threads I frequently have identified aspects of Jesus' teachings that are antithetical to the teachings of Western churches, teachings that advance hegemonic aspects of dominant culture. Where should I begin again? Re ...[text shortened]... e to mind) are cultural revolutionaries that stand in opposition to the mores of their society.
    You're equivocating between two different senses of religion if you're going to compare communism and religions like Christianity and Islam. By your standards, even secularism can be a religion.

Let's look at the Beatitudes, shall we? From Matthew 5 (RSV):

[3] "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    [4] "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
    [5] "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
    [6] "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
    [7] "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
    [8] "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
    [9] "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
    [10] "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    [11] "Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.

Which ones does Western culture shun "with nearly every fibre of [its] being"?
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 17:19
    [9] "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Which ones does Western culture shun "with nearly every fibre of [its] being"?
    I'll concede error on this point. I'd forgotten that peacemakers are missles designed to arrange a meeting between God and his or her children.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 17:20
    even secularism can be a religion.
    Secularism is a religion.
  5. London
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 17:35
    I'll concede error on this point. I'd forgotten that peacemakers are missles designed to arrange a meeting between God and his or her children.
    You said Western culture - not American culture, remember?
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 17:37
    You said Western culture - not American culture, remember?
    Aren't they one and the same?
  7. London
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 17:41
    Aren't they one and the same?
    Er.. no. Last I checked, most of Europe was part of "Western culture" as well.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 17:49
    Er.. no. Last I checked, most of Europe was part of "Western culture" as well.
    I guess I'll need to read something other than American newspapers.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 19:56
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I'm a lefty; God doesn't have a problem with it.
    I’m also of the opinion that lefties are actually favored too, since
    most are brilliant, good looking, skill full, articulate, and did I
    mention humble?
    Kelly
    😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree