1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 03:422 edits
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Right.
    It is indeed hard to measure the worth of one religon compared to another. Especially based on what the followers of a religon do. How they interpret their faith. More importantly, how those in power interpret a religon and how best they can harness the prevailing dogmas to maintain their control over the general populace.
    Hell, people that have stuff,(and power), are not generally go for the whole "nobody-really-owns- anything" type view that is exppoused by bhuddism , for example.

My line in the sand is drawn between the violent and the non-violent views of the LEADERS of any said religon.
    It is my understanding that bhuddist priests have nver blessed a war.
    Are you are christian? (basically, from my view, your answer to this question would clear up this discussion very quickly...unless i am missing something)
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 13:24
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I think there are numerous posts in several threads clearly explainig that there is no such thing as 'the truth' .
    Unless you believe the bible hook,line and sinker and dismiss all other evidence to the contrary. Then there might be this truth you speak of . Of course this will just be "God" being merciful to the ignorant who have good heart but wron ...[text shortened]... u are not delusional and every other person that disagrees with you is), is VERY delusional.
    "I think there are numerous posts in several threads clearly explainig that there is no such thing as 'the truth'."

So?

Then does that mean that this forum contains the truth about whether or not there is truth or not?

You should really take a close look at the possibility that your thinking is scrambled.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 13:371 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"I think there are numerous posts in several threads clearly explainig that there is no such thing as 'the truth'."

So?

Then does that mean that this forum contains the truth about whether or not there is truth or not?

You should really take a close look at the possibility that your thinking is scrambled.[/b]
    Those who think they possess the Truth are far from it.
    Only those who are searching for it comes nearer the real Truth.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 13:46
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"I think there are numerous posts in several threads clearly explainig that there is no such thing as 'the truth'."

So?

You should really take a close look at the possibility that your thinking is scrambled.[/b]
    "scrambled"?...hmmm, I dont think. "Incomplete"? ...perhaps.

From your posts I gather that you think my thinking is scrambled and that yours is not. How very insightful.
    So you think I should just give up my pagan ways and turn to Christ? Will that unscramble my thinking?
  5. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 22:43
    It is indeed hard to measure the worth of one religon compared to another. Especially based on what the followers of a religon do. How they interpret their faith. More importantly, how those in power interpret a religon and how best they can harness the prevailing dogmas to maintain their control over the general populace.
    Hell, people that have stuf ...[text shortened]... to this question would clear up this discussion very quickly...unless i am missing something)

Hmmmm. I don't know if they have blessed wars or not, but I do know that they have staged pretty brutal, petty and violent wars.

Are you are christian?

No. I think I'm something of a militant apatheist (and sorry for the internal contradiction).
    I think that God doesn't exist (mind the word think, because I know I don't know) and even if God existed (by God here I mean a God that created all of this and is personally involved with everything) and wanted me to abide to some sort of code to me to be worthy of him I wouldn't care less about it.
    But on the other nad I like to discuss and read about these issues.

Knowing this tidbit how would you label me? and can you tell me if your answer was what you were expecting or not? In other words: Were you missing something?
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 23:56

Hmmmm. I don't know if they have blessed wars or not, but I do know that they have staged pretty brutal, petty and violent wars.

Are you are christian?

No. I think I'm something of a militant apatheist (and sorry for the internal contradiction).
    ...[text shortened]... your answer was what you were expecting or not? In other words: Were you missing something?
    well to start with,i said bhuddist priests, not some of those awful monks.

I'd label you "something of a militant apetheist" and the fact that you aren't christian would make my label for you much more looser than a theist.
    It was sort of the answer I was expecting(ie. your not christian), but you never know.
    Its always refreshing to have a nice direct answer like that so that we may even furthur understanding.

This hypothetical "code" you mention: would you live by it if you believed in God?
    (Thats kind of a tricky question. You need only take this as far as you want, but I'm always brimming with words)
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 11:48
    well to start with,i said bhuddist priests, not some of those awful monks.

I'd label you "something of a militant apetheist" and the fact that you aren't christian would make my label for you much more looser than a theist.
    It was sort of the answer I was expecting(ie. your not christian), but you never know.
    Its always refreshing to have a nice d ...[text shortened]... question. You need only take this as far as you want, but I'm always brimming with words)
    Like I said I don't know if they blessed wars or not, and I also think it's pretty possible they didn't, but I really don't know.

I think that if I believed in God (Abraham's one) I'd be just like any other follower: I'd abide to some of the parts of the expected conduct, disobey others and blame it all on the fact of being only human.
    On the other hand if others were to fail on obeying some part of the conduct I'd immediately point my finger at him and stress the fact of him not being a real follower of *insert your favorite Abraham's God cult here*.
    ust like any other follower.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 21:40
    Like I said I don't know if they blessed wars or not, and I also think it's pretty possible they didn't, but I really don't know.

I think that if I believed in God (Abraham's one) I'd be just like any other follower: I'd abide to some of the parts of the expected conduct, disobey others and blame it all on the fact of being only human.
    On the other ...[text shortened]... llower of *insert your favorite Abraham's God cult here*.
    ust like any other follower.
    the excuse of "being human" for not following your faith is a weak one.

Either what it means to be human should change,(is changing), or people should not put undue pressure upon themselves by undertaking things that they suspect will fail.
  9. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 22:48
    the excuse of "being human" for not following your faith is a weak one.
    That's what I said in a subtle way. I also criticized the fact the usually when others fail the fact that they are human isn't brought about...

😉
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 04:20
    That's what I said in a subtle way. I also criticized the fact the usually when others fail the fact that they are human isn't brought about...

😉
    splendid. You are alright
    🙂
    cheers

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree