1. SEMO
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 19:471 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    If the Bible's God had merely said, "Look, I decide by fiat who I will save and who I will not save", there would be no contradiction.

The trouble lies in the claims that God is love, and God is just, when some of his judgments are demonstrably neither loving nor just.
    The Bible does merely say that salvation is of the Lord and that he will have mercy on who he will, and who he will not he hardens. He decides by his own will, not by faith. Faith is the result of his mercy.

You have to read all of Romans to get what I am saying.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 19:52
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    I didn't mean in a court room.

You don't get it do you? The Lord is the maker, what he does is righteous.
    The Lord is the maker, what he does is righteous.

Are you saying that it is permissible for god to do whatever he fancies with what he has created, merely in light of the fact that he created it?
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 19:571 edit
    I didn't mean in a court room.

You don't get it do you? The Lord is the maker, what he does is righteous.
    A human can certainly judge without being in a court room.

You're absolutely right on your 2nd point. Bizarro-speech, by definition, is using certain words with an extremely warped, or even opposite meaning, compared to how the words are normally used. It is not really meant to be understood by the reader; only accepted at face value. So yeah, I don't get it.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 19:59
    The Bible does merely say that salvation is of the Lord and that he will have mercy on who he will, and who he will not he hardens. He decides by his own will, not by faith. Faith is the result of his mercy.

You have to read all of Romans to get what I am saying.
    What do you make of the biblical claims that God is love and God is just?
  5. SEMO
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:40
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    [b]The Lord is the maker, what he does is righteous.

Are you saying that it is permissible for god to do whatever he fancies with what he has created, merely in light of the fact that he created it?[/b]
    Is it okay for you to make something like a painting and then turn around and burn it?
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:42
    Is it okay for you to make something like a painting and then turn around and burn it?
    That may well be okay, but a painting is not a moral patient. Is it okay for god to create a happy little infant and then turn around and burn it?
  7. SEMO
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:43
    What do you make of the biblical claims that God is love and God is just?
    He is love, however, this does not mean he can not hate someone for he loved Jacob but hated Esau.

He is just, and if he hates someone it is in a just way unlike the way humans hate.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:441 edit
    He is love, however, this does not mean he can not hate someone for he loved Jacob but hated Esau.

He is just, and if he hates someone it is in a just way unlike the way humans hate.
    if he hates someone it is in a just way unlike the way humans hate.

Could you explain how that works? How does one hate another, but in a just way?
  9. SEMO
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:49
    That may well be okay, but a painting is not a moral patient. Is it okay for god to create a happy little infant and then turn around and burn it?
    We are all born in sin, we lie as soon as we come out of the womb. Have you ever herd a baby cry for nothing? It don't matter what the Lord has made nor if he wants to burn it. It is HIS creation and the thing that is made has no right to say that he is unjust for creating something just to burn it.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:54
    We are all born in sin, we lie as soon as we come out of the womb. Have you ever herd a baby cry for nothing? It don't matter what the Lord has made nor if he wants to burn it. It is [b]HIS creation and the thing that is made has no right to say that he is unjust for creating something just to burn it.[/b]
    You were telling lies as soon as you came out of the womb? You must have developed quickly. All I did was pee on the nurse when I came out.

It don't matter what the Lord has made nor if he wants to burn it. It is HIS creation and the thing that is made has no right to say that he is unjust for creating something just to burn it.

So it's permissible for god to do anything he wants with us? It is permissible for him to torture babies if that is what he wants to do?
  11. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 22:35
    You were telling lies as soon as you came out of the womb? You must have developed quickly. All I did was pee on the nurse when I came out.

[b]It don't matter what the Lord has made nor if he wants to burn it. It is HIS creation and the thing that is made has no right to say that he is unjust for creating something just to burn it.

So it's per ...[text shortened]... he wants with us? It is permissible for him to torture babies if that is what he wants to do?[/b]
    So it's permissible for god to do anything he wants with us? It is permissible for him to torture babies if that is what he wants to do?
    -------------lemon------------------------

I do see your point from a moral point of view. But then if he is God he doesn't need permission from anybody to do anything.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 22:53
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    -------------lemon------------------------

I do see your point from a moral point of view. But then if he is God he doesn't need permission from anybody to do anything.
    I do see your point from a moral point of view.

Then you see my point.

But then if he is God he doesn't need permission from anybody to do anything.

That has nothing to do with my point.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 22:58

A being who is the embodiment of love is capable of hatred? Yeah, right.
  14. SEMO
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 15:00
    [b]if he hates someone it is in a just way unlike the way humans hate.

Could you explain how that works? How does one hate another, but in a just way?[/b]
    Have you ever made something and decided that you hated something about it? It is the same way with the Lord.We are his creation, if he wants to hate part of it he can and he is just to do so because HE was the creator.

If we hate another due to our own feelings or to be accepted by others it is unjust. If we hate another because he/she hates the Lord then it is just. They are enemies of the Lord.
  15. SEMO
    Moves
    06 Sep '08 15:031 edit
    A being who is the embodiment of love is capable of hatred? Yeah, right.
    Rom 9:9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sara shall have a son.
    Rom 9:10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;
    Rom 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth; )
    Rom 9:12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
    Rom 9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
    Rom 9:14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree