1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    07 May '06 17:59
    Atheists are always talking about love and meaning for their lives , and whilst not seeking to devalue anyone's meaning I can't help but think that it just can't be the same love and meaning that Christians are on about.

The Christian vision for the end of the world in terms of love and meaning is that the very fabric of existence is waiting to vibrate with a love so powerful that time and space itself will fall apart in its wake. The powerful military men and those who believed 'might is right' will be humbled. The quiet , the gentle and the sensitive will be glorified. Those who peddled injustice will be shamed and the persecuted will be vindicated. The universe itself will split open to reveal something so utterly beautiful (and terrifying to some) that grown men will weep and jump for joy. Every action good or bad will be revealed. All secrets will be known. Martin Luther King and Gandhi will be wearing their 'I told you so ' T-Shirts , fresh off the press. All injustice will be put right , period. Those who chose to die instead of kill will be praying for those who killed them. All that seemed 'clever' by the worlds standards will seem utterly stupid. And those who were thought dumb will be the truth bearers. Every desolate cry of despair will have its answer. What at the time seemed meaningless will be given new meaning. Every moment of suffering will be cradled in eternal love and the very and only reason for the universe being created will be revealed , love , love and more love , eternally as far as the eye can see. A beauty beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

You may quite understandably disagree with this vision . You may de-bunk it. You may dismiss it as wishful thinking. You may point out how many of us fail to live up to it. Infact you can do almost anything you like with it. But if you are an Atheist talking about 'love and meaning' , please remember this..., don't pretend that when you use these words they mean the same thing as when a Christian uses them. It's not the same , it never can be.
  2. Belfast
    Moves
    07 May '06 18:24
    Ok.
  3. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    07 May '06 18:36
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Atheists are always talking about love and meaning for their lives , and whilst not seeking to devalue anyone's meaning I can't help but think that it just can't be the same love and meaning that Christians are on about.

The Christian vision for the end of the world in terms of love and meaning is that the very fabric of existence is waiting to vi ...[text shortened]... the same thing as when a Christian uses them. It's not the same , it never can be.
    And what does that matter, if the vision is an illusion?
  4. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    07 May '06 18:39
    The level of arrogance displayed here is stunning.

-JC
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    07 May '06 18:49

The Christian vision for the end of the world in terms of love and meaning is that the very fabric of existence is waiting to vi ...[text shortened]... the same thing as when a Christian uses them. It's not the same , it never can be.
    Let me know if you're interested in some refutations to Anselm's proof. Otherwise, feel free to persist in your 12th Century philosophy.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 May '06 18:50
    Originally posted by Churlant

-JC
    Yeah, so much for for quiet, humble and gentle.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 May '06 18:52
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Let me know if you're interested in some refutations to Anselm's proof. Otherwise, feel free to persist in your 12th Century philosophy.
    Wasn't he the guy that played 'Potsie' on "Happy Days?"
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    07 May '06 19:49

Quite right: when I use the words 'love' and 'meaning' I am not making reference to a bunch of stupid arbitrary eschatological crap.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 May '06 20:40
    And those who were thought dumb will be the truth bearers.
    Interesting. Was this a message of...hope?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 May '06 02:34

Tell me, mr certainty, when this end of the world happens, are we to assume in your theology, Muslims, Hindu's, and the like and Atheists are all bound for hell? What about the part where god knows everthing there ever was or will be. Why would there need to be a judgement or an end to the universe, god in that case already knew what was to be and who is destined to be atheists, all this when god created the universe, he already knew that so why a judgement in a future time when time is meaningless for god?
  11. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    08 May '06 03:02

Actually if you really paid attention to what Christ said , you wouldnt love anyone at all, except maybe in a general sense and nobody in particular.
  12. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    08 May '06 10:46

For the lucky ones who gets left behind, the biggest socalled secret, the DaVinci Code will be revealed and will contain the Longitude and Latitude Coordinates of a diamond called the "Heart of the Ocean" which someone lost the day the Titanic sank (Which infact was said that not even God can sink it). HA HA

I agree with you on all of what you said knightmeister but that Christians and any other religion (not only Atheists) dont speak with the same tongue. Which is why many people get confused especially between Christianity and Atheism as it the same thing said means totally something different.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    08 May '06 11:09
    But if you are an Atheist talking about 'love and meaning' , please remember this..., don't pretend that when you use these words they mean the same thing as when a Christian uses them. It's not the same , it never can be.
    As long as you remember that your view is bonkers, I will happily remember that it is as well.
  14. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 May '06 18:42
    Originally posted by Churlant

-JC
    So do you mean the same thing when you talk of love and meaning? I'm just wondering. It doesn't mean that Atheist love and meaning are inferior neccesarily , it's just not the same. Or do you share this vision?
  15. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 May '06 18:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    [b]Tell me, mr certainty, when this end of the world happens, are we to assume in your theology, Muslims, Hindu's, and the like and Atheists are all bound for hell?
    I think there would be bound to be many surprises in store in this area too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree