1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 May '06 18:48
    Originally posted by Starrman
    As long as you remember that your view is bonkers, I will happily remember that it is as well.
    It's utterly bonkers , completely off the wall , utterly shocking , unbelievably revolutionary , totally topsy turvey, ...but would you really expect anything else from God? Would you really expect cress sandwiches and ice tea?
  2. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 May '06 18:52
    Originally posted by dottewell
    And what does that matter, if the vision is an illusion?
    Maybe it does matter, maybe it doesn't , but do you agree it's not the same? You didn't say.....

(PS- It did matter to Gandhi and M L King , it was instrumental in what they did)
  3. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 May '06 18:54
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Let me know if you're interested in some refutations to Anselm's proof. Otherwise, feel free to persist in your 12th Century philosophy.
    I think you'll find it's 13th 14th 15th 16th 17th 18th 19th 20th 21st century as well.
  4. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    08 May '06 19:013 edits
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Maybe it does matter, maybe it doesn't , but do you agree it's not the same? You didn't say.....

(PS- It did matter to Gandhi and M L King , it was instrumental in what they did)
    Insofar as we can both use and understand the relevant words in conversation with each other, then for me it's the same. It may be when you speak of "loving God" you are in some sense using a different language from me (when I speak of loving my girlfriend, for example); in the same way, someone who has taken LSD might be speaking a different language when he says he experiences the greenness of a tree in in a way I cannot understand, and gets angry when I disagree.

Is his language valuable?
  5. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 May '06 19:07
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Yeah, so much for for quiet, humble and gentle.
    Do you really think that I didn't know how my post sounded as I was writing it? I find this vision as shocking as anyone but I'm not going to indulge in 'false' humility and pretend that this is not the Christian vision (or something like it). If I was incongruent about this then that would really be arrogant. Infact the vision I've put forward is the opposite of arrogance as I'm talking about a time when humility will triumph over arrogance , love will conquer over hate and destruction. It's the end of arrogance! Do you not like this vision? Would you prefer that might wins over right? Arrogance implies I have made a pompous claim for myself and yet all I have done is said what God will do. By the way....what's your vision?.......survival of the fittest? Justice never put right?
  6. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 May '06 19:17
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Insofar as we can both use and understand the relevant words in conversation with each other, then for me it's the same. It may be when you speak of "loving God" you are in some sense using a different language from me (when I speak of loving my girlfriend, for example); in the same way, someone who has taken LSD might be speaking a different language when ...[text shortened]... in in a way I cannot understand, and gets angry when I disagree.

Is his language valuable?
    In the Christian vision 'love' is the very power behind the whole of existence. So when one acts in a loving way one is tapping into the very fabric of creation. The implications of this are that it would make you consider different courses of action. One might decide that to risk being killed in preference to killing (ref Gandhi) is worth it because love transcends death. If one believes love is just an illusionary feeling this becomes a far less likely course of action and self preservation takes over (ref- all of history). Christianity is supposed to be bonkers because it challenges the 'sanity' of this world from beyond this world. The moment it stops being shocking it's dead.
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    08 May '06 19:22
    In the Christian vision 'love' is the very power behind the whole of existence. So when one acts in a loving way one is tapping into the very fabric of creation. The implications of this are that it would make you consider different courses of action. One might decide that to risk being killed in preference to killing (ref Gandhi) is worth it because l ...[text shortened]... sanity' of this world from beyond this world. The moment it stops being shocking it's dead.
    What makes you think atheists see love as an "illusionary feeling"? I know my brother would die for his children, for example. Is that kind of love valueless?

You need to be clear on whether you are saying the meaning of words like "love" are different for the Christian and the atheist.
  8. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    08 May '06 20:34
    Do you really think that I didn't know how my post sounded as I was writing it? I find this vision as shocking as anyone but I'm not going to indulge in 'false' humility and pretend that this is not the Christian vision (or something like it). If I was incongruent about this then that would really be arrogant. Infact the vision I've put forward is the opposite of arrogance
    You are basically claiming your understanding of "love" to be superior. This is something you could not possibly know.

While I am certainly glad for you in that you experience such euphoria, your "vision" as it has been presented is absolutely arrogant.

-JC
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 May '06 20:46
    Would you really expect cress sandwiches and ice tea?
    When God was an Englishman, one expected nothing less.
  10. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    08 May '06 20:51
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    When God was an Englishman, one expected nothing less.
    Now it's a skinny blueberry muffin and a decaf latte with skimmed milk.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 May '06 21:511 edit
    It's utterly bonkers , completely off the wall , utterly shocking , unbelievably revolutionary , totally topsy turvey, ...but would you really expect anything else from God? Would you really expect cress sandwiches and ice tea?
    Makes for great science/fantasy fiction, but honestly, how would you, a mere mortal, a little pissant human being in the great sea of life, know what to expect from an omnipotent being? You can't even confirm such a being exists.
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 May '06 00:08
    So do you mean the same thing when you talk of love and meaning? I'm just wondering. It doesn't mean that Atheist love and meaning are inferior neccesarily , it's just not the same. Or do you share this vision?
    Stop it KM. We both know that you think that the atheist "love" and "meaning" are inferior. You said as much in your initial post.

Why do you think it's inferior? Do you like religion because it allows you to justify yourself, against the feelings of inadequacy and insecurity you harbour? Love and meaning are both human characteristics, to try and ignore that is one of the tactics used during wars. Your adverseries just become the "hun" or the "gooks" or "wogs", it doesn't matter - they're not REAL people, not as good as US. This attempt at debasing the very things that makes humans human is the typical Christian battleground (at least in the last couple of hundred years). At least the Japanese Samurai showed some decorum, realising the honour of their enemies.
  13. Cosmos
    Moves
    09 May '06 00:44
    "And those who were thought dumb will be the truth bearers."

There's hope for you yet then!

(...and IvanGunghoe, Freakingidiot, Oafeo, RB'sIll, CodPiece, KYJelly, etc, etc, ad nauseum).
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    09 May '06 00:451 edit
    I think you'll find it's 13th 14th 15th 16th 17th 18th 19th 20th 21st century as well.
    No sensible person still believes Anselm's proof is valid.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 May '06 01:39
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    No sensible person still believes Anselm's proof is valid.
    As I understand Anselm's proof it reads something along the following,

"God exists because an existential god is better than a non-existential god"

Perfect sense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree