How can there be a god ?

How can there be a god ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
22 May 06

Sophie is 5 years old this year.

In 2003, a car crashed into her child care centre and burst in to flame.

Sophie lost both feet, as well as fingers and suffered third degree burns to 85% of her body.

On 5 May this year, she was being pushed in a stroller when another car hit her.

Sophie was thrown 18 metres by the impact, sufferring head, facial, chest and leg injuries.

You're a fool if you believe in god. You may as well believe in Allah.

What can be so wrong with having a holy jihad ?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
22 May 06

Originally posted by STANG

Sophie lost both feet, as well as fingers and suffered third degree burns to 85% of her body.

On 5 May this year, she was being pushed in a stroller when another car hit her.

Sophie was thrown 18 metres by the impact, sufferring head, facial, c ...[text shortened]... ve in god. You may as well believe in Allah.

How can there be a God?

You're back. There must be a God.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 May 06

Originally posted by Halitose
[b]How can there be a God?

You're back. There must be a God.[/b]
I disagree. Stang's return is a compelling proof that there is no such thing as God.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 May 06

You're a fool if you believe in god. You may as well believe in Allah.

As far as I understand, the Muslims consider Allah to be God.

And from what I know, most Muslisms are against a holy Jihad.

L

Moves
22 May 06

Sophie was thrown 18 metres by the impact, sufferring head, facial, c ...[text shortened]... ve in god. You may as well believe in Allah.

God works in mysterious ways, STANG. You're not allowing theistic belief to work as intended: you'll only sleep more soundly at night if you forgo all rational thought. Remember: nihilism is the only alternative. So be vigilant about keeping your belief-building standards low. Don't think! Just believe, for God's sake.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
22 May 06

Before I start let me say that this is not intended to be a trite or easy solution to this thorny issue and I am not attempting to deny or downplay the suffering here. However , I still expect some heated responses.

And what will happen to Sophie in the end ? If her soul is ressurected and her life is raised to eternal life that might make her shout for joy in heaven "I'm glad I was created, my suffering was terrible but if I had to go through it all again to get here I would" would that change anything.? If God said he wasn't ever going to "wipe the tears from our eyes" and redeem the world . If he had never offered his own body to us to suffer in agony and die alongside us. If he had never promised to be with us every step of the way , every minute of our life , suffering with us along the way.....if God had not done any of these things...then it would be game set and match...God is dead...nowhere to go but Atheism...but he has....it's not a complete answer by any means and it's not very palatable......doesn't leave you with a rosy glow or make you think her suffering is Ok...but within Christianity there is an answer...it's just an incredibly difficult one.

If anything it shows how Christianity has to be the way compared to other faiths. In no other faith does God meet our suffering head on with his own suffering. In no other faith does God show explicitly that he knows what it is to feel scared , vulnerable , hung out on a tree that he knows what it is to die and suffer as a human. In no other faith does God offer to be alongside our suffering , weeping with us through the presence of his Spirit. In no other faith can God say , I've been there , I know grief , anger , suffering, even death itself and I know it in a human way ..I'm with you all the way into the void and beyond....

S

Moves
22 May 06

Originally posted by Conrau K
As far as I understand, the Muslims consider Allah to be God.

And from what I know, most Muslisms are against a holy Jihad.
My point is that you may as well believe in anything ... and forgive people who believe in holy jihad's ... at least work to resolve differences through anything other than violence ... which only leads to more violence.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 May 06

My point is that you may as well believe in anything ... and forgive people who believe in holy jihad's ... at least work to resolve differences through anything other than violence ... which only leads to more violence.
Who knows, maybe God planted Satan among us to promote reason and education so that we might become atheists and be sent to hell.

S

Moves
22 May 06

Originally posted by knightmeister
In no other faith does God offer to be alongside our suffering , weeping with us through the presence of his Spirit. In no other faith can God say , I've been there , I know grief , anger , suffering, even death itself and I know it in a human way
I don't agree.

A god could be absolutely certain if there was life after death.

I believe that no human could be that certain.

A god could not know what it is like to be human faced with death.

A god also could not know what it is like to be the loved one of a human faced with death.

Yet a god supposedly created us. What type of devil must be that god ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 May 06

Yet a god supposedly created us. What type of devil must be that god ?
I'm confused. Would you rather not have been created?

S

Moves
22 May 06

I'm confused. Would you rather not have been created?
Did I have a choice ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 May 06

Did I have a choice ?
That's beside the point. You exist now, are you ungrateful that God created you? (supposing that he did of course).

S

Moves
22 May 06

That's beside the point. You exist now, are you ungrateful that God created you? (supposing that he did of course).
I'm glad to be alive without knowing what not being alive is like.

W
Instant Buzz

C#minor

Moves
22 May 06

I don't think this is a valid argument however compelling it seems.

It would be arrogant of us to project our own sense of justice onto any particular god. Therefore, just because we think something is horribly unjust doesn't mean that it actually is. I would have thought that god could have a purpose much greater than we could imagine that required this poor girl to go through what she did.

On the other hand, I believe the Christians tell us that we are made in Gods image. If this means that our thought processes are similar to god's then this story would seem to suggest that he is as much a sinner as we are which would sort of make sense.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
22 May 06

I disagree. Stang's return is a compelling proof that there is no such thing as God.
Please. Allow us to gaze into the bottomless depths of your compelling pseudo-logic.