1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 15:152 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    ...to be in league with those who mocked Jesus?

You know who I'm talking to.

To put it in modern vernacular, you're full of crap.

You insult, belittle, and blaspheme those things you know nothing about because of your faithlessness and unbelief.

If you think this is all happening in a vacuum, you're in for a rude awakening.
    For the most part, it seems that few mock the teachings of Jesus. Rather most mock the teachings of the rest of the Bible.

Jesus teaches us to be perfect in righteousness:
    "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven...you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Jesus teaches us that He will not accept those who continue to commit sin:
    "Not everyone who says to me,'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven... Depart from me, you who work iniquity.'"

Jesus teaches us that if we following His teachings, we will be freed from the slavery of committing sin:
    "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin...If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

From what I can tell from what you've posted elsewhere, it seems that you not only don't believe the above teachings of Jesus, but mock them.

So tell us, "How does it feel...?". Seems like you should know better than most.

What irony that it's mostly Christians that mock the teachings of Jesus.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 15:15
    Originally posted by rwingett
    But he was allegedly raised from the dead. So his death wasn't such a big deal. It would be more appropriate to say that Jesus had a bad weekend for my sins.
    Its one of those cases where the mening of the words 'dead' or 'death' is not particularly clear. Sometimes it means physical death sometimes hell, sometimes just some unspecified but terribly bad thing.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 18:12
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    For the most part, it seems that few mock the teachings of Jesus. Rather most mock the teachings of the rest of the Bible.

Jesus teaches us to be perfect in righteousness:
    "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven...you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Fath ...[text shortened]... most.

What irony that it's mostly Christians that mock the teachings of Jesus.
    "Rather most mock the teachings of the rest of the Bible."

Like you for example.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 19:54
    Is your name really LemonJello?
    As far as you're concerned, yes.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 01:582 edits
    [b]"Rather most mock the teachings of the rest of the Bible."

Like you for example.[/b]
    Seems like you entirely missed the point of my post.

You started a thread asking "How does it feel to be in league with those who mocked Jesus?" when you're probably in as good a position as anyone else on this forum to answer.

You seem to be confused. You should be asking about mocking Christianity or the Bible as a whole instead of asking about mocking Jesus.

Seriously, very few people I know have a problem with the teachings of Jesus. What they have a problem with is the nonsense that has become Christianity as a whole. There are just too many contradictions. Now if Christians were to adopt the teachings of Jesus as their core instead of the teachings of Paul or the teachings of the Bible as a whole, they'd have something there and would be able to present a much more rational position.
  6. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 04:42
    Seems like you entirely missed the point of my post.

You started a thread asking "How does it feel to be in league with those who mocked Jesus?" when you're probably in as good a position as anyone else on this forum to answer.

You seem to be confused. You should be asking about mocking Christianity or the Bible as a whole instead of asking about ...[text shortened]... ole, they'd have something there and would be able to present a much more rational position.
    I wouldn't even blame Paul because so few even appreciate his viewpoint. Most of them just preach day and night "self." They respond with anger and threats because that is the world of ego - the world of competition, the world of anger (Of course everybody on this site lives in that world thru chess!) Don't they hear the divine voice (in the form of the people around them) calling to them to get down off their fine horse and show real humility before the majesty of the universe?
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 05:351 edit
    ...to be in league with those who mocked Jesus?

You know who I'm talking to.

To put it in modern vernacular, you're full of crap.

You insult, belittle, and blaspheme those things you know nothing about because of your faithlessness and unbelief.

If you think this is all happening in a vacuum, you're in for a rude awakening.
    How does it feel? Do you really want to know?

OK, I have your answer.

It feels GREAT!

Yes, please believe that I am full of crap. I need you to. It is the natural order of the universe that people like you are diametrically opposed to people like me. If I were to shift into agreement with the likes of you, I would fear for losing my own sanity.

Thank you for this post.
  8. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 19:48
    Originally posted by SwissGambit

OK, I have your answer.

[b]It feels GREAT!

Yes, please believe that I am full of crap. I need you to. It is the natural order of the universe that people like you are diametrically opposed to people like me. If I were to shift into agreement with the likes of you, I would fear for losing my own sanity.

Thank you for this post.[/b]
    "GREAT"? What, great sin!

You don't have to be, against him, God doesn't make people lose their sanity.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 19:55
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    I wouldn't even blame Paul because so few even appreciate his viewpoint. Most of them just preach day and night "self." They respond with anger and threats because that is the world of ego - the world of competition, the world of anger (Of course everybody on this site lives in that world thru chess!) Don't they hear the divine voice (in the form of the ...[text shortened]... to get down off their fine horse and show real humility before the majesty of the universe?
    What do you see as Paul's viewpoint? He strikes me as someone engaged in a power struggle that talks out both sides of his mouth in an attempt to win - much like a modern day politician.

Jesus taught that one must be perfect in righteousness in order to be accepted. In essence to become one with God, i.e. truth, love, compassion, justice, etc. Is there anything more ego bolstering than the idea that one will basically be accepted the way they are? Is there anything more ego comforting than the idea that it is "impossible" to become one with God, i.e. stop committing sin? Wouldn't this only serve to make them exceedingly secure in living in "the world of ego"?
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 20:51
    Originally posted by daniel58
    God doesn't make people lose their sanity.
    Not God, but some of his followers.

I've never understood what was so great about Jesus. He was hardly the first person to teach meekness, kindness, humility, etc. Some of the other teachings attributed to him, like the idea that one sin damns you to hell, are absurd.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 20:52

I've never understood what was so great about Jesus. He was hardly the first person to teach meekness, kindness, humility, etc. Some of the other teachings attributed to him, like the idea that one sin damns you to hell, are absurd.
    Sounds like you really have no idea why He came to the planet at all!
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 21:22

Some of the other teachings attributed to him, like the idea that one sin damns you to hell, are absurd.

So far as I know, Jesus never said this. Post the verse(s). I'd like to see them. Perhaps something wrongly attributed to Him?
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Aug '09 23:42
    [b]Some of the other teachings attributed to him, like the idea that one sin damns you to hell, are absurd.

So far as I know, Jesus never said this. Post the verse(s). I'd like to see them. Perhaps something wrongly attributed to Him?[/b]
    Here are a few quotes attributed to Jesus on the subject.

41 The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness, 42 and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
    -Matthew 13

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’
    44 “Then they also will answer Him,[d] saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
    -Matthew 25

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
    -John 3
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 03:06

OK, I have your answer.

[b]It feels GREAT!

Thank you for this post.[/b]
    I love honesty. You're welcome!
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 14:272 edits
    Here are a few quotes attributed to Jesus on the subject.

41 The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness, 42 and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
    -Matthew 13

41 “Then He will als ...[text shortened]... ready, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
    -John 3
    I don't see anything here that indicates that "one sin damns you to hell". The point rather seems to be that there are the righteous and the unrighteous. All are free to become righteous at any time. I haven't seen anything that would indicate that prior to becoming righteous an individual could not have sinned any number of times and not have "eternal life" / "heaven" / "salvation" once transformed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree