1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 00:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes i have heard of these phrases and the wikipedia article was quite interesting, as to whether the statement you refer to can be interpreted as freedom from 'the penalties of sin', i do not think that it is possible, but then i am unaware of the context, but to be sure, sin may be pleasurable at the time, but its spiked with pain and its nature is ...[text shortened]... y be references for the former and the latter, it all really depends on the context i think.
    Here's the passage:
    John 8:32-36
    So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, 'You will become free'?"
    Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed."

No mention of "penalty" here, though an explicit reference to "commits sin".
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 00:28
    Originally posted by daniel58
    So what's the difference?
    One is about freedom of choice and the other is about freedom from committing the act.
  3. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 00:30
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    One is about freedom of choice and the other is about freedom from committing the act.
    Freedom from committing the act? Either it's a choice or it's not.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 00:583 edits
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Freedom from committing the act? Either it's a choice or it's not.
    How about this?: You will no longer commit sin. Period. You will truly be one with the Lord.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 20:39
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It makes me glad that we no longer live in a theocracy and that the rule of law takes precedence over the word of god.
    Fuzzy history!?! What theocracy was that?
  6. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 20:48
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It makes me glad that we no longer live in a theocracy and that the rule of law takes precedence over the word of god.
    Precedence;

1. The act or state of preceding or going before in order of time; priority; as, one event has precedence of another.

2. The act or state of going or being before in rank or dignity, or the place of honor; right to a more honorable place; superior rank; as, barons have precedence of commoners.

Neither are right.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree