1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Nov '17 13:422 edits
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    1.Nothing original.
    2.Nothing one cannot work out.
    1.Where was it all plagiarized from?

2.Do you mean to say it’s all self evidently true?
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Nov '17 14:37
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I ignored your question because you clearly asked it in order to ignore mine. What I am interested in is how you almost invariably conflate "sin" with morality. "Sin" is meaningless to non-believers. If you're not interested, that's fine by me. We have talked about the Bible before. You can talk to other people about that ~ to Christians, perhaps, as was probably your intention with this OP.
    For the Christian immoral behavior can also be regarded as sinful. For the non Christian it is just immoral. So is there any other religious book or any other standard that you think offers a more accurate standard of right and wrong than the Bible?
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Nov '17 16:11
    'O daughter of Babylon, you devastated one,
    How blessed will be the one who repays you
    With the recompense with which you have repaid us.
    How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones
    Against the rock.' (Psalms 137:8-9)

God asked to bless those who would bash Babylonian babies against stones in an act of mass infanticide.

Ah yes, no better moral compass than the bible...
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Nov '17 16:17
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    For the Christian immoral behavior can also be regarded as sinful. For the non Christian it is just immoral. So is there any other religious book or any other standard that you think offers a more accurate standard of right and wrong than the Bible?
    To what can you compare the Bible, to assess the Bible's "accuracy"?

Before looking for a competing book, compare the Bible to your own moral assessment of some Biblical commands, as at

http://marktindall.blogspot.com/2012/03/bible-is-poor-moral-standard.html

"The bible condones slavery, polygamy, concubinage, death penalty for trivial crimes, genocide and mass murder of children. Such standards are not objective but entirely subjective and man-made."
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Nov '17 17:18
    That’s interesting. Do you believe the Bible has nothing to offer in terms of ideals for human interaction? Take for example loving your neighbor as you love yourself. Do you believe it’s just an optional suggestion or subjective opinion or could it possibly be a universal ideal?
    I’m not interested.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '17 17:27
    We have discussed the source, nature, purpose and application of morality before already. What are you asking me about it again?
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 03:24
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    'O daughter of Babylon, you devastated one,
    How blessed will be the one who repays you
    With the recompense with which you have repaid us.
    How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones
    Against the rock.' (Psalms 137:8-9)

God asked to bless those who would bash Babylonian babies against stones in an act of mass infanticide.

Ah yes, no better moral compass than the bible...
    You seem to have very little understanding of scripture for someone who studied theology.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 03:25
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I’m not interested.
    Of course not. You arrive, swing a punch and leave, as always.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 03:551 edit
    We have discussed the source, nature, purpose and application of morality before already. What are you asking me about it again?
    The conversation had moved on from there. Responding to the question I asked you seems to put you out of your comfort zone so no need to respond.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 04:01
    The conversation had moved on from there. Responding to the question I asked you seems to put you out of your comfort zone so no need to respond.
    Nope. You are asking me the same stuff over and over again and ignoring what I say each time. I'm not willing to play along.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 04:06
    Take for example loving your neighbor as you love yourself. Do you believe it’s just an optional suggestion or subjective opinion or could it possibly be a universal ideal?
    What people make of their "neighbours" is purely subjective and depends on numerous considerations. While it may be a "sin" to Christians, not 'loving your neighbour as one loves oneself' is not immoral.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 09:34
    What people make of their "neighbours" is purely subjective and depends on numerous considerations. While it may be a "sin" to Christians, not 'loving your neighbour as one loves oneself' is not immoral.
    Not 'immoral' for you.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 10:05
    Not 'immoral' for you.
    We can only speak for ourselves as individuals and take personal responsibility for how we interact with other people. That's what morality is all about. It's personal. It's subjective. It varies. These attributes make it one of the very essences of human nature and a key part of what defines as unique and distinct individuals. If you believe it is a "sin" [against the wishes of a supernatural being] for Christians not 'to love one's neighbour as one loves oneself' then that is a personal matter for you. You can only speak for yourself when you express your opinions about morality.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 16:29
    We can only speak for ourselves as individuals and take personal responsibility for how we interact with other people. That's what morality is all about. It's personal. It's subjective. It varies. These attributes make it one of the very essences of human nature and a key part of what defines as unique and distinct individuals. If you believe it is a "sin" [aga ...[text shortened]... l matter for you. You can only speak for yourself when you express your opinions about morality.
    If someone else does something that you consider to be immoral you can then still only speak for yourself and therefore cannot judge their actions to be immoral?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 23:00
    If someone else does something that you consider to be immoral you can then still only speak for yourself and therefore cannot judge their actions to be immoral?
    You already know what I think about this and about what happens when people disagree about morals. We have talked about it explicitly. You are asking me about it again anyway. You are trolling.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree