1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 May '18 11:57
    Originally posted by @js357
    The OP reminded me of a phenomenon called thr Stockholm Syndrome:

“The Stockholm Syndrome is a psychological phenomenon where a kidnap victim or a hostage becomes sympathetic to their captors. The term comes from a bank robbery in Stockholm Sweden in 1973. The plan went bad and the robbery turned into a hostage situation. At first the hostages were treated ...[text shortened]... ttp://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-spirituality/633750-stockholm-syndrome.html#ixzz5EIR71hdF
    “The Stockholm Syndrome is a psychological phenomenon where a kidnap victim or a hostage becomes sympathetic to their captors.

You see me saying "Jesus loved me and died for me and rose to be available to come to me" as me really being "kidnapped" by Jesus ?
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 May '18 12:16
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    No, really. (Trying to get the ones with the knee-jerk down-thumbs to reconsider.)

There are volumes written about the relationship with our fathers in psychological literature. I really never made the leap into the idea of substituting God for our father-figure in these writings and how that may explain the unsatisfactory condition of some people's f ...[text shortened]... tian about a month after I did. I'll try to get back in touch with her and see what she thinks.
    You not think the Parable of the Lost Son, (among others) made such a comparison between 'earthly fathers' and God?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 May '18 12:24
    Originally posted by @sonship
    You see me saying "Jesus loved me and died for me and rose to be available to come to me" as me really being "kidnapped" by Jesus ?
    You, you, you, sonship.

"I'm alright, Jack."

Do you have that expression wherever it is you live in the shadow of tortured people being hung out burning on chains to glorify your god figure and act as a warning to people on other planets? [or whatever it was you claimed]

Do you have and know the expression "I'm alright, Jack" under the psychological shadow of those chains?
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 May '18 12:41
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Just to be clear here, isn't an "imagined" God an imaginary God?

My point is that my God is not imaginary OR "imagined". He is as real as you or me.

Aren't you just using "imagined" as a code word for imaginary?
    "My point is that my God is not imaginary OR "imagined". He is as real as you or me. "

My point is that the Stockholm Syndrome can be as real with an imaginary captor as with a real one, so long as the imaginary one is believed to be real..
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 May '18 12:441 edit
    “The Stockholm Syndrome is a psychological phenomenon where a kidnap victim or a hostage becomes sympathetic to their captors.

The cite says, "Of course not everyone who is a Christian becomes one via this phenomenon."
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 May '18 12:51
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    You’re very wrong about that. You see the only relationships as one of good child and bad child. You see no love either from God or toward God. You seem to have a very cold view of who God is and what being a child of God is all about.

I read an interesting article a few years ago that said our view of God is often shaped by our view of our earthly fa ...[text shortened]... tively influenced by that. Not asking you to share info on that; just asking you to consider it.
    I have been doing this for over 40 years. Been through all those scenarios and maybe one day you will realize that the only truth is directly from the mouth of Jesus Christ as recorded in the NT, and this truth is the only route into the Kingdom of God. Right now you are an immature Christian wallowing deep in the mire of false doctrines and the crooked and perverse rantings of church pastors. Since there is nothing called relationship in the bible, you have to go by what relationships God had with past patriarchs and they are exactly as I described.

Here is a verse [and there are many like it] for you to ponder on about the nature of God, so dont kid yourself.. little boy

For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. (Romans 11:21-22 KJV)

If you continue in Gods goodness you have a good relationship with God, otherwise you are cut off
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 May '18 12:54
    I’m aware of what Stockholm Syndrome is, but why does the OP remind you of it?
    You asked about the health of one's relationship with God. I thought of one I'd call unhealthy. Do you agree?
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 May '18 13:061 edit
    You think God has abused you emotionally?
    I'm getting a bunch of questions.

No, I don't think God has abused me emotionally. People do that.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 May '18 13:33
    I'm getting a bunch of questions.

No, I don't think God has abused me emotionally. People do that.
    I can identify with that sentiment.

Has anybody been emotionally abused by you?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 May '18 13:397 edits
    The cite says, "Of course not everyone who is a Christian becomes one via this phenomenon."
    I understand that to mean that the site maintains that some people become Christians, yet -

Jesus did not / does not love them,
    and / or Jesus did not accomplish a redemptive death and resurrection for them,
    and / or Jesus is not available to them.

ie
    "Of course not everyone who is a Christian becomes one via this phenomenon."

I think this three-fold "phenomenon" accompanies every human being who becomes a Christians in an inevitable and eventual way.

So I would not share the cite's concept that Christ's love and Christ's death and resurrection and Christ's eventual availability is NOT involved with producing all Christians.

I think the door is wide enough already.
    They seem to be wanting to stretch it to a wider degree then is possible.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 May '18 14:351 edit
    I can identify with that sentiment.

Has anybody been emotionally abused by you?
    I have learned about over-sharing on the internet.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 May '18 14:59
    I understand that to mean that the site maintains that some people become Christians, yet -

Jesus did not / does not [b]love
    them,
    and / or Jesus did not accomplish a redemptive death and resurrection for them,
    and / or Jesus is not available to them.

ie
    [quote] "Of course not everyone who is a Christian becomes one via ...[text shortened]... wide enough already.
    They seem to be wanting to stretch it to a wider degree then is possible.[/b]
    The occurrence of Stockholm Syndrome in a person’s life is understood by psychologists to be a psychological event, just as to a neurochemist it would be understood as a neurochemical event. The analytical approach you are taking is, in its wording and imagery, a theological event (or events). I think people who come to interpret their lives as you do would be very receptive to the ideas that Jesus loves them, did accomplish a redemptive death, and the rest. Meanwhile the psychologist and neurochemist would be unable to see this (at least with their scientific instruments and models in hand.)

I don’t believe the cite’s concept overtly asserts what you suggest (that Christ’s love, death, resurrection, and eventual availability is not involved in producing all Christians) but it does suggest that believing these things are factual has power, even if they are not factual.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 May '18 15:072 edits
    I have learned about over-sharing on the internet.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 May '18 15:162 edits
    The occurrence of Stockholm Syndrome in a person’s life is understood by psychologists to be a psychological event, just as to a neurochemist it would be understood as a neurochemical event. The analytical approach you are taking is, in its wording and imagery, a theological event (or events). I think people who come to interpret their lives as you do would b ...[text shortened]... it does suggest that believing these things are factual has power, even if they are not factual.
    Could you identify what neurochemical reaction caused Jesus to be born in Bethlehem so much in apparent fulfillment to Micah's prophecy in Micah 5:2?

How did Jesus manipulate neurochemical processes to pull that off, written sometime approximately between 700 - 710 BC ?

"But you, O Bethehem Ephrathah, So little to be among the thousands of Judah,

From you there will come forth to Me He who is to be Ruler of Israel; And His goings forth are from ancient times from the days of eternity." (Micah 5:2)

How did Jesus of Nazareth utilize psychological and neurochemical process to be such a strong candidate for that prophecy pointing to?
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 May '18 15:20
    I identify with that sentiment as well.
    However, I sure didn't have to wait for the Internet before some people were abused emotionally by me.

Was it only since the Internet you found some suffered from your treatment ? You can keep your answer private, But consider.

"All have sinned and come short of the glory of God."
    I am not making myself clear. By over-sharing on the Internet I mean that telling this or any internet forum about one’s private life is unwise, beyond certain limits.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree