How is eternity expressed mathematically?

How is eternity expressed mathematically?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 Apr 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Likewise, I respect you and your continuing interest in spiritual issues. Often I think of how powerful is the Word of God:

"The Word of God is alive and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of the soul and spirit, and of the joints and the marrow, and is a critic of thoughts and intents of the heart." (H ...[text shortened]... by the realization that He reads our every thought and that we're part of His Perfect Plan. -Bob
Can you personally provide some explanation as to how experiencing "death" can also mean experiencing "eternal suffering"?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Apr 14

Originally posted by divegeester
Can you personally provide some explanation as to how experiencing "death" can also mean experiencing "eternal suffering"?
divegeester, I'll be glad to give your question serious thought and reply when there's any accurate information to add.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 Apr 14
1 edit

divegeester, I'll be glad to give your question serious thought and reply when there's any accurate information to add.
In the meantime do you agree that claiming that "death" means the same as "eternal suffering" is nonsensical and therefore an erroneous interpretation?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Apr 14

In the meantime do you agree that claimimg that "death" means the same as "eternal suffering" is nonsensical and therefore an erroneous interpretation?
My unsupported opinion on this or any other significant biblical question or issue is utterly worthless online public forum social noise. What matters is what does the scripture teach in the original languages the sixty six books were written.

II Peter 1:20-21 "But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God."

As promised, I'll diligently examine the content of my two replies and your concerning question in the light of God's Word.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 Apr 14

My unsupported opinion on this or any other significant biblical question or issue is utterly worthless online public forum social noise. What matters is what does the scripture teach in the original languages the sixty six books were written.

II Peter 1:20-21 "But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpr ...[text shortened]... y examine the content of my two replies and your concerning question in the light of God's Word.
Well it's your "unsupported worthless opinion" that made the OP thus:

"Question: Is anyone able to fathom the infinite quantitative/qualitative aspect of an eternity with or separated from God?"

Perhaps you are just too proud to admit when you are obviously wrong.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Apr 14

Well it's your "unsupported worthless opinion" that made the OP thus:

"Question: Is anyone able to fathom the infinite quantitative/qualitative aspect of an eternity with or separated from God?"

Perhaps you are just too proud to admit when you are obviously wrong.
"000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, etc.

http://www.googolplexian.com/

Question: Is anyone able to fathom the infinite quantitative/qualitative aspect of an eternity with or separated from God?

... the original post posed one question without offering an opinion.

F

Moves
01 Apr 14

... the original post posed one question without offering an opinion.
The OP's premise is that humans spend an eternity doing something ~ rather than stopping/ending/dying ~ which is your opinion, pure and simple. So does that make your OP "utterly worthless online public forum social noise"?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Apr 14
1 edit

Mathematical Notation of Infinity:

"In mathematics, the infinity symbol is used more often to represent a potential infinity, rather than to represent an actually infinite quantity such as the ordinal numbers and cardinal numbers (which use other notations).

For instance, in the mathematical notation for summations and limits such as

\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^i} = \lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{2^x-1}{2^{x-1}} = 2,

the infinity sign is conventionally interpreted as meaning that the variable grows arbitrarily large (towards infinity) rather than actually taking an infinite value.

In areas other than mathematics, the infinity symbol may take on other related meanings; for instance, it has been used in bookbinding to indicate that a book is printed on acid-free paper and will therefore be long-lasting."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_symbol

Fascinating maths imo.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
02 Apr 14
1 edit

[b]Mathematical Notation of Infinity:

"In mathematics, the infinity symbol is used more often to represent a potential infinity, rather than to represent an actually infinite quantity such as the ordinal numbers and cardinal numbers (which use other notations).

For instance, in the mathematical notation for summations and limits such as

\s ...[text shortened]... fore be long-lasting."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_symbol

Fascinating maths imo.[/b]
I'll be frank; I think your clumsy attempt at JW style dodging of questions in such a simplistic scenario is pure attention seeking.

I'm out.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Apr 14
1 edit

I'll be frank; I think your clumsy attempt at JW style dodging of questions in such a simplistic scenario is pure attention seeking.

I'm out.
Since the digit "8" on its side isn't supported by these forums, I searched for a mathematical equivalent.
Your deeply held question* is still very much on my mind. Please continue to remain patient. Thanks.

*Question: "In the meantime do you agree that claiming that "death" means the same as "eternal suffering"
is nonsensical and therefore an erroneous interpretation?" -divegeester

F

Moves
02 Apr 14

Since the digit "8" on its side isn't supported by these forums, I searched for a mathematical equivalent.
Your deeply held question* is still very much on my mind. Please continue to remain patient. Thanks.

*Question: "In the meantime do you agree that claiming that "death" means the same as "eternal suffering"
is nonsensical and therefore an erroneous interpretation?" -divegeester
Why not write it out? Write "infinity", or perhaps "inf" or perhaps {inf}.

You want to express eternity mathematically? Just write "{inf} years" and the problem is solved.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Apr 14

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Why not write it out? Write "infinity", or perhaps "inf" or perhaps {inf}.

You want to express eternity mathematically? Just write "{inf} years" and the problem is solved.
Okay. That makes some sense, though "years" seems self limiting.
How would you express/describe "infinity" or "eternity" in words?

F

Moves
02 Apr 14
1 edit

Okay. That makes some sense, though "years" seems self limiting.
How would you express/describe "infinity" or "eternity" in words?
Do I have to? Isn't it self-explained as it is?

If you don't accept the concept of infinity/eternally before I explain it, then you would not accept it after I explained it either.

But one thing is clear - you cannot express it with a number. Like googolplex or someething, a one with a lot of zeroes. Because what ever number you use, if you manage to add it by one then it wasn't the infinity number.

Some non-science people use the word "infinity" erroneously, they think it is just a number, a very big number. Like in "The debt of the state is infinitly big!" meaning that it is incomprehensibly big. Or that "The age of universe is infinitely old". No, not at all, the universe is actually quite young compared with how old it once will be. Don't fall into that trap.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Apr 14

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Do I have to? Isn't it self-explained as it is?

If you don't accept the concept of infinity/eternally before I explain it, then you would not accept it after I explained it either.

But one thing is clear - you cannot express it with a number. Like googolplex or someething, a one with a lot of zeroes. Because what ever number you use, if you manage t ...[text shortened]... iverse is actually quite young compared with how old it once will be. Don't fall into that trap.
Fabian, your explanation is one of the most understandable I've ever read:

"But one thing is clear - you cannot express it with a number. Like googolplex or someething, a one with a lot of zeroes. Because what ever number you use, if you manage to add it by one then it wasn't the infinity number."

Thank you.

F

Moves
02 Apr 14

Fabian, your explanation is one of the most understandable I've ever read:

"But one thing is clear - you cannot express it with a number. Like googolplex or someething, a one with a lot of zeroes. Because what ever number you use, if you manage to add it by one then it wasn't the infinity number."

Thank you.
Oh, thank you, for telling me this! 🙂 The pleasure is mine!