1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 17:21
    Looking at the actions of the biblical god, there is evidence that he would be a worse person than Hitler.

1) He's commited genocide multiple times, ordering that whole tribes and nations of people be exterminated. He also commited a vast genocide, via a global flood.

2) Under Hitler, the Nazis burned Jews alive. God created hell, where (if the bible's were true) a possibly billions of people burning. Except their they will burn for eternity.

3) The biblical god slaughtered 70,000 men, just because David counted his army.

4) The biblical god killed a man just for touching his coveted "Arc of the Covenent". Never mind that the man kept it from falling to the ground and shattering by doing so.

5) The biblical god called about 80 men, just for looking into the Arc. Just. For. Looking.

6) Hitler persecuted and killed homosexuals. The biblical god ordered that gays be killed, and even in the New Testament, says that they will burn in hell.

So given all these factors...isn't it accurate that the biblical god is a worse person than Hitler?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 18:24
    Originally posted by vivify
    Looking at the actions of the biblical god, there is evidence that he would be a worse person than Hitler.

1) He's commited genocide multiple times, ordering that whole tribes and nations of people be exterminated. He also commited a vast genocide, via a global flood.

2) Under Hitler, the Nazis burned Jews alive. God created hell, where (if the bi ...[text shortened]... all these factors...isn't it accurate that the biblical god is a worse person than Hitler?
    " "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

You have achieved the maximum possible score on this.
  3. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 18:50
    Originally posted by JS357
    " "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

You have achieved the maximum possible score on this.
    "the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost"

How did you manage to reply to the first post ? The law has been broken. Somebody needs to go to jail. Directly.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 19:05
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    "the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost"

How did you manage to reply to the first post ? The law has been broken. Somebody needs to go to jail. Directly.
    WWHD?
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 19:30
    Oh, so the idea that God is comparable to Hitler is very common, then? Hmm.

Well. Never mind that this is a completely legitimate statement to make; the use of "oh, this again" is apparently victory.

See you around.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 21:31
    God has a full beard and moustache.
    Hitler only had that bum-fluff under his nose.

I think maybe Hitler is shorter too ... but that's just a hunch.
  7. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 23:22

2) Under Hitler, the Nazis burned Jews alive. God created hell, where (if the bi ...[text shortened]... all these factors...isn't it accurate that the biblical god is a worse person than Hitler?
    you must be talking about biblegod. keep in mind that both have probably been vilified more than their reputations deserve. hitler by his enemies and biblegod by primitive savages that carried his banner.
  8. e4
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 01:49
    Not much of choice is it?

A madman or a fictious character.

Hitler still to this day tops the polls as the most recognised face on the planet
    which I guess sums up the human race perfectly.
    The sooner this planet takes us out the better it will be for the rest of the universe.

Can you imagine us lot exploring other worlds?
    We would kill everything we met. It's what we do best. Kill things.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 15:06
    Oh, so the idea that God is comparable to Hitler is very common, then? Hmm.

Well. Never mind that this is a completely legitimate statement to make; the use of "oh, this again" is apparently victory.

See you around.
    Completely legitimate? Are you insane?

Don't feed the troll, people. Oh, wait. Oops.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 15:20

Let's let Jesus weigh on on this debate.
    4 And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. 5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!
    Luke 12:4-5
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 16:19
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Completely legitimate? Are you insane?

Don't feed the troll, people. Oh, wait. Oops.
    Any rational argument as to how torturing with hell-fire isn't Hitler-like? That would be more effective than name-calling.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '12 16:552 edits

2) Under Hitler, the Nazis burned Jews alive. God created hell, where (if the bi all these factors...isn't it accurate that the biblical god is a worse person than Hitler?
    Hitler actually existed, whereas the biblical god has no actual referent. That is really the "good news" here, since yes you are right that the biblical god is a positively horrific character. Imagine Hitler; now imagine this Hitler so powerful that no one (and not even all of us collectively) could ever stop him from imposing his will, even if it were just willy-nilly; that would more or less be the biblical god.

What's really bizarre is that theists like Suzianne above will still tell you with a straight face that the biblical god is the epitome of things like love and justice. Of course, they have provided absolutely no account regarding how the sanctioning of things like genocide, mass killing of sentient beings, infanticide and the like are consistent with love and justice; and, further, they have provided no account how such things are perfectly consistent with love and justice in the case of god, but not consistent, and radically so, with love and justice in the case of Hitler; but they don't seem too worried about such things. They apparently just have faith that God must have his justifying reasons for such things (as if there could ever be justifying reasons for such things); or they just claim that god has legitimate authority to do such things simply because he created us; or simply because of his all-powerful status; or some other such. Like I said, it's all a bit bizarre.

I tried to discuss this in the recent thread here: Thread 148395. I didn't make much headway, though.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '12 21:301 edit
    The biblical God makes the sun rise upon the righteous as well as the unrighteous, is
    completely impartial, has lovingly put up with slander of the most vile kind as is
    evidenced by the comments from haters in this thread, sent a son on his behalf, whom
    he dearly loved in order to make reparation, who was and continues to be treated with
    contempt by the ungodly and yet he patiently puts up with the vandalism of his
    creation, the earth, flaunting of his standards by those who seek to impose their own
    will to the detriment of others and the killing of innocent children who are destined
    never to see the light of day, even though they have the right to life, Yes, lets put
    things in perspective shall we, how many children will have been killed in the name of
    social convenience by this evening?? How many did God kill?
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Oct '12 22:40
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yes, lets put
    things in perspective shall we, how many children will have been killed in the name of
    social convenience by this evening?? How many did God kill?
    "How many did God kill"?

Well, at least a few thousand, since the bible god ordered the killing of entire tribes--multiple times. And when you factor in that the bible god killed the entire earth via a global flood...that would bring the death count up to at least a billion.

So to answer your question: your god's killed about a billion children.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Oct '12 23:00
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Hitler actually existed, whereas the biblical god has no actual referent. That is really the "good news" here, since yes you are right that the biblical god is a positively horrific character. Imagine Hitler; now imagine this Hitler so powerful that no one (and not even all of us collectively) could ever stop him from imposing his will, even if it were ...[text shortened]... the recent thread here: Thread 148395. I didn't make much headway, though.
    bizarre. straight out bizarre. not a 'bit bizarre'. if my kid asked me what 'bizarre' meant I would prolly refer to him to an anecdote just like this one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree