How Jesus Became God

How Jesus Became God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Mar 19
3 edits

@FMF

Where has Ehrman conceded or admitted that "would not dare say some things" in debates that he has said in his books. Have you got a quote or a link?

I never said it was a quotation. It is the observation of people in his field who have observed his behavior.

So one person debating him asked before the debate "Which Bart Ehrman am I debating?" [paraphrased]

In other words the Popular NPR circuit Ehrman or the more cautious academic knowing that what he writes has been known in professional circles for many years.

He said himself he wishes to teach the audience at large about textural criticism. And for that alone I don't really fault him. I fault him when he interjects his own wavering strivings of the soul to embrace apostasy of the faith. He preaches that. But he retreats into academic "objective" professor when pushed many times.

Ehrman's disdain and contempt for people who believe what he says he USED to believe is as hostile as any bad feelings you are trying to pin on me right now.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Mar 19

@FMF

I don't need you to agree with me.

Good. Because I don't.

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said
@FMF

People can read where I spoke well of Ehrman and where I spoke ill of Ehrman. I don't need to repeat the things I said.
You aren't achieving anything by insinuating that his ideas are "stupid ideas". This has been a multi-page draw-out ad hominem aimed at an academic whose work you disagree with.

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said
@FMF

Where has Ehrman conceded or admitted that "would not dare say some things" in debates that he has said in his books. Have you got a quote or a link?

I never said it was a quotation. It is the observation of people in his field who have observed his behavior.
So once again, you have projected a negative opinion of Ehrman's work ONTO Ehrman and pretended that it is HIS opinion that "he wouldn't dare say something" you disagree with. You are posting without integrity in your efforts to discredit someone you do not agree with.

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

sonship, on this thread, you remind me of robbie carrobie.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Mar 19

@FMF

You're the one not writing much substantive but chit chatting casually volumes of not terribly significant contributions into the discussion.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Mar 19

@FMF

Fascinating. You remind me of FMF.

Moves
20 Mar 19

@fmf said
There has become more of a cultish feel to sonship’s posting in the last year or so. This is reflected in my thread about his church’s stance regarding the trinity and salvation.

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said
Ehrman's disdain and contempt for people who believe what he says he USED to believe is as hostile as any bad feelings you are trying to pin on me right now.
Ehrman is an engaging, modest and unassuming man. He doesn't express or exhibit "disdain and contempt". Who has fed you with the idea that he does? You don't seem to know him. You were comparing him to a novelist earlier. And now you talk of his "disdain and contempt for people". Do you have any examples?

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@divegeester said
There has become more of a cultish feel to sonship’s posting in the last year or so. This is reflected in my thread about his church’s stance regarding the trinity and salvation.
On this one he seems to be running through a checklist of disposable ad hominems. Education. Toss it out there. Check. Didn't work. Abandoned. Compare him to a novelist. Toss it out there. Check. Didn't work. Abandoned. Claim he admits he is not honest. Claim he wouldn't dare this that or the other. Toss it out there. Check. Didn't work. Abandoned. Claim he exhibits "disdain and contempt" [gaseous accusations that poison the well but are unverifiable]. Toss it out there. Check. Didn't work. Abandoned. Reminds me of robbie carrobie.

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said
@FMF

Fascinating. You remind me of FMF.
Well, being like "FMF" is a positive thing. Saying you remind me of robbie carrobie is to say that you are discussing Ehrman in a distinctly unprincipled and a grasping-at-smears kind of way.

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said
@FMF

You're the one not writing much substantive but chit chatting casually volumes of not terribly significant contributions into the discussion.
I find the way your vanity/zealotry distort your intellectual and interpersonal behaviour interesting. That is both significant and substantive to me.

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said
In other words the Popular NPR circuit Ehrman or the more cautious academic knowing that what he writes has been known in professional circles for many years.
This is a most feeble attempt at Appeal To Authority. It's more like Appeal To Gossip I Agree With.

Do you move "in professional circles" sonship?

Does Ehrman himself move "in professional circles"?

What's the gossip about White and Licona "in professional circles"?

In the interests of balance, do you have any positive gossip about Ehrman that you have picked up "in professional circles"?

Gosh. What's the next gimmick on your checklist?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Mar 19
2 edits

While FMF shakes his cheerleader pom poms for Bart Ehrman interested parties IN HIS CONCEPTS and second opinions TO them, here is a debate between him and Dan Wallace

I retract the comment on Ehrman not being a historian.
Not because I know it to be wrong.
But because I don't know it for sure to be right more or less so then some of the people he debates. He says he is a historian.

As for Ehrman expressing his contempt for "fundamentalists," you have to catch him at the right time coming out of his own mouth.

I am not going to go over hours to locate what I mean.
If anyone doesn't believe I heard it from his own mouth, then just don't believe it. Keep listening you may come across it someday.

Much more of interest to Ehrman's ideas and cross examination of them -

Bart Ehrman & Daniel Wallace Debate Original NT Lost?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Mar 19
1 edit

For the record.

I have heard Bart Ehrman say things which I thought were very humble. (No, not just this week. A long time ago.)

Repeat - I have heard Dr. Bart Ehrman say some things which I thought were very humble, and I would take a class or two with him without hesitation if I was enrolled at UNC.