1. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 07:06
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You believe that to be true, or is it a fact?
    Kelly
    As per discussion in the other thread, facts by your definition can never be known. Not event the possible fact of your existence.
    But by the common definition of fact then yes it is a fact. A solid verifiable fact backed up by tons of evidence (tons both literally and figuratively).
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 07:251 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    As per discussion in the other thread, facts by your definition can never be known. Not event the possible fact of your existence.
    But by the common definition of fact then yes it is a fact. A solid verifiable fact backed up by tons of evidence (tons both literally and figuratively).
    Can you share one or two reasons why it is a fact, by your reasoning?
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 07:431 edit
    Kelly
    http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/diapsids/birds/birdfr.html

And on this link
    http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/diapsids/avians.html
    they have 20.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 11:21
    Kelly
    You already know that evolution is a fact by my reasoning. So based on an understanding of evolution, if birds share a significant number of features with dinosaurs but not with the ancestors of dinosaurs or any other known animals past or present then it becomes clear without a doubt (ie fact) that they are descended from dinosaurs.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 14:39
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You already know that evolution is a fact by my reasoning. So based on an understanding of evolution, if birds share a significant number of features with dinosaurs but not with the ancestors of dinosaurs or any other known animals past or present then it becomes clear without a doubt (ie fact) that they are descended from dinosaurs.
    That fits the model you think is true, but is it reality? You want to say
    yes so bad you call it a fact.
    Kelly
  6. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 14:46
    Evolution is a theory and is thus superior to a fact. Gravity is a theory. Atomic existence is a theory. These are practically the basis for each subject. If one delves further, objects reaching terminal velocity is a fact, genetic throwbacks are facts, ionic bonding is a fact. These are trivial knowledge when compared to theory. Theories are the basis of science and are the essential truths. To state that evolution has a likelihood of being wrong is on the same level of saying gravity has a likelihood of being wrong. It just doesn't, and anyone who says otherwise does not understand the mountains of evidence for it, or just plain won't let themselves understand.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 15:06
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    Evolution is a theory and is thus superior to a fact. Gravity is a theory. Atomic existence is a theory. These are practically the basis for each subject. If one delves further, objects reaching terminal velocity is a fact, genetic throwbacks are facts, ionic bonding is a fact. These are trivial knowledge when compared to theory. Theories are the basis ...[text shortened]... ot understand the mountains of evidence for it, or just plain won't let themselves understand.
    Theories are the basis of science, not denying that; however, we do not
    always get it right so we call many of these things theories instead of
    facts. With regard to evolution, you don't think that people can be
    wrong about parts of the things they believe about it, and other parts
    of it are correct? I'd say you cannot be serious about that! You'd really
    have to define evolution in a very narrow way, the things that is being
    giving credit for also comes into play. You can give evolution credit for
    X whatever X is and if that is wrong, does that mean that evolution
    itself is wrong?
    Kelly
  8. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 15:21
    of it are correct? I'd say you cannot be serious about that! You'd reall ...[text shortened]...
    itself is wrong?
    Kelly
    I define evolution as the gradual variation of a species over time through mutations and natural selection, stemming from a common ancestor. It's a very useful theory in that if there's ANYTHING that cannot be explained by evolution in the creation of species, then it will INSTANTLY be disregarded. If you can provide even the smallest scrap of evidence that the earth is 6,000 years old, then evolution could not have happened, and it will be thrown the same direction as Lamarckianism before it. But of course, this evidence has never been produced. Whilst inumerable transitional fossils have been piling up, innumerable links with common ancestors being discovered, innumerable cases of atavism throughout the animal kingdom being recognised - Whilst this ocean of evidence has been pouring out in favour of evolution, not one drop has ever been formed for creationism. Evolution is a theory, but in common venacularisms, it is a good as a fact, as it has the same likelihood of being wrong as gravity or the existence of atoms does.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 20:08
    That fits the model you think is true, but is it reality? You want to say
    yes so bad you call it a fact.
    Kelly
    I wonder why you ignore the 20 reasons why professional palaeontologists are wrong, and you are right. I mean, surely in your bible it has a refutation of those points??
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 04:12
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    I define evolution as the gradual variation of a species over time through mutations and natural selection, stemming from a common ancestor. It's a very useful theory in that if there's ANYTHING that cannot be explained by evolution in the creation of species, then it will INSTANTLY be disregarded. If you can provide even the smallest scrap of evidence ...[text shortened]... fact, as it has the same likelihood of being wrong as gravity or the existence of atoms does.
    I'm suprised you don't know the whole story:
    It seems god made the earth LOOK 4 billion years old, put all those fossils under the ground just as a practical joke on us gullible humans, but christians knew that already, they saw through all the deceptions of scientists who are well known to trod on the holy book and the glorious word therein.
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 18:32
    "But this is exactly what evolutionary biology says: small changes produce chaotic results in living organisms which are usually for the worst."

I agree a normal organism is nicely balanced, changing small things
    can have very bad result in a hurry. Yet, many believe not only did
    an extremely large number of changes occur slowly over time, they
    did it ...[text shortened]... so on. You 'believe' they came into being over time, a leap of faith
    in my opinion.
    Kelly
    This argument seems to assume that transition from no heart to heart was instantaneous...this would be tantamount to suggesting that someone learning to program would instantly create a viable alternative to windows on their first ever encounter with their language of choice! (as opposed to creating a s**t load of small and inconsequential little routines, that serve to increase the learners knowledge whilst some of them survive to exist in bigger routines, until one day (assuming they have the aptitude) they might create something big, and capable of surviving.)

Technology can be likened in some ways perhaps to evolution in that the period between nothing, and a good product is littered with lesser versions of the final piece, that tend to resemble it less as you go further back in history.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jun '07 14:22
    "But this is exactly what evolutionary biology says: small changes produce chaotic results in living organisms which are usually for the worst."

I agree a normal organism is nicely balanced, changing small things
    can have very bad result in a hurry. Yet, many believe not only did
    an extremely large number of changes occur slowly over time, they
    did it ...[text shortened]... so on. You 'believe' they came into being over time, a leap of faith
    in my opinion.
    Kelly
    Genetically the heart idea came from jellyfish which propel themselves by squeezing a portion of its outer skin to produce a small jet force out the back, it does that unfailingly throughout its life and have been around almost 500 million years. Plenty of time for evolution to turn that into an internal fluid flow.
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '07
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 14:40
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Is it possible for evolution to breed us out of the childish need for religion? Or can cultural growth beat evolution to the punch?
    according to south park, yes.
  14. London
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 15:43
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Is it possible for evolution to breed us out of the childish need for religion? Or can cultural growth beat evolution to the punch?
    "My attitude toward progress has passed from antagonism to boredom. I have long ceased to argue with people who prefer Thursday to Wednesday because it is Thursday." -- G.K. Chesterton
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 16:20
    of it are correct? I'd say you cannot be serious about that! You'd reall ...[text shortened]...
    itself is wrong?
    Kelly
    No.

A FACT is subordinate to a theory.

A THEORY is an explanation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree